Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 12:13 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,257,109 times

Advertisements

So, I've been thinking about AV technology, LRT, BRT, transit funding, etc. And been thinking about how I could combine it all into a comprehensive, yet low-cost solution for our metropolitan 5-county Atlanta area.

Prerequisite: Cobb, DeKalb, Fulton, and Gwinnett counties would each need to raise a 1/2 penny sales tax to fund this plan. (Not City of Atlanta or Clayton County, as they have already secured funds for expansion).

I'm not going to get into (in this thread) whether this would mean Cobb and Gwinnett joining MARTA. Would certainly be preferable, but this could also be worked out as a joint MARTA/CCT/GCT plan, and an integrated multi-agency singular transit system. The important thing is the 1/2 penny for expanded transit in those 4 counties, and total coordination and integration seamlessly between them. (And hopefully state and federal would be contributing some funding to it also.)

The gist of it is a fleet of trackless trams, replacing bus routes (wait, wait a sec, please hear me out and read the whole post before you kneejerk react, k thanks...):

These vehicles would be electric, battery-powered. They would recharge at maintenance facilities.

They would look like the above image. As much like a LRT vehicle/streetcar as possible, except with wheels and rubber tires, hidden by covers just like that.

They would be as automated as possible, with sensor guides to keep them in the lane, and computerized smooth acceleration/deceleration. Etc etc. But there would also be a human operator and a steering wheel, able to take over manual control when/if needed. The level of automation would increase over the years as the technology gets improved and perfected, and more AV vehicles are on the roads. Eventually these trams would be completely full AV (and most of the cars around it would be, too, helping the situation.)

They would have most of the usual LRT/BRT features:

-High passenger capacity (with open gangways). And while you probably couldn't physically link multiple together, you could run multiple trams in a row on certain lines if there's enough demand for it. With AV-tech synchronization potentially, operating as if it was all one vehicle.

-Low floor, and ADA-accessible boarding platforms at stations

-Multiple-door simultaneous boarding (like rail)

-Off-board fare collection, at the stations

-Transit signal priority/synchronization (would never hit a red light, basically)

-Permanent stations, with unique names. The tram always stops at every stop on the line (like a train, unlike a bus.) The stops are spaced at least 1/4 mile apart, with some special express/commuter lines much farther spaced.

-Automated voice system on the trams, announcing stops. Maps showing all the stops and lines. Etc.

-Stations located after intersections, not before (to avoid associated turning traffic and delays.)

-Digital displays at all stations indicating when the next tram arrives.

-15 minute frequency/headway as a bare minimum of service level. (E.g. late night, weekends, holidays). 10-minute frequency during main business hours, and possibly 5-minute on key, high-demand lines.

-Central dispatch monitoring, to avoid any potential bunching issues (the TSP also helps)

-Can operate in dedicated tram lanes, managed toll lanes, HOV lanes, freeway shoulder lanes, regular mixed traffic lanes, and any combination of all of the above.

***Key point here: This is not BRT. Not a bus. As I envision it, these babies would never be officially referred to anywhere as a bus, but rather as a tram. Not routes, but lines. Not bus stops, but stations. As far as the overall transit system map is concerned, they would be thought of and treated as light rail lines.

Minimal construction would be required for this. That's a key to the value and cost-effectiveness this. Mainly just building the stations and related and maintenance facilities. No overhead lines, as they'd be battery powered. And we'd be using already-existing ROW (with the option of adding or improving tram ROW in the future, such as underground tunnels or something). Also, GDOT and the state gas tax funding source would essentially be building transit ROW. (New managed express lanes, improved interchanges, new 15th St bridge with HOV ramps, etc.)

These would replace existing bus routes, and potential future rail lines, saving money on both. But it would also work in tandem with rail, existing and future. And in tandem with local community traditional buses.

City of Atlanta would still run traditional light rail around the Beltline, and the Clifton Corridor would still be rail. But a lot of the MARTA bus routes (like the 110/40), would be replaced by frequent tram lines.

Instead of commuter rail, Clayton would use its MARTA funds to run a high quality, very frequent tram line on US-41/Tara Blvd, between East Point and Lovejoy. And also at least one other branch line for Clayton State University and Southlake Mall. And potentially another small branch for Riverdale. Basically I would suggest that it combine all of its bus and rail funds together all into this tram system, hybrid of the 2. With all stops in Clayton having nice shelters, benches, all that stuff that oobanks complains about.

Red Line heavy rail would still be extended 5 stations up to Windward Pkwy. As funded by 1/2 penny in Fulton. However, all bus routes in North Fulton would be eliminated completely (except for circulators and shuttles in the Perimeter and North Point areas). There would be a long tram line on Roswell Rd/Hwy 9, between Lindbergh and Avalon (a new Alpharetta MARTA station there), via a midway connection to HRT at Northridge station. This would replace the 5 route and other buses, and would serve a ton of Sandy Springs, and the dense historic downtowns of Roswell and Alpharetta.

There would be a tram line on 141 for Johns Creek and Peachtree Corners, between McGinniss Ferry and a new Norcross/Peachtree Corners MARTA station on the Gold Line, right on Buford Highway at the Gwinnett/DeKalb county line area.

Possibly lines on Holcomb Bridge/140, and Old Milton Pkwy/120, if funds allow.

Gwinnett County would get the one new Norcross heavy rail station at the county line, but otherwise it would be served completely by various tram lines, some oriented around more local service and some more express service on I-85, but all based around connecting key points in the county with Lindbergh MARTA, Norcross MARTA, Dunwoody MARTA, and maybe even one going all the way over to Cumberland.

Tram lines on Buford Hwy, 29, 78, Satellite Blvd, 140, 120 (Downtown Duluth to Downtown Lawrenceville), and express commuter tram lines on I-85 and 316 toll lanes. All with high frequency, every day.

DeKalb would have lots of different possibilities and potential options with what to do with its 1/2 penny, including maybe extending heavy rail, but I would recommend these trackless tram lines along key corridors, like Buford Hwy obviously, Memorial Dr from Downtown to Stone Mountain via Kensington MARTA, LaVista between Lindbergh and Tucker, Clairmont/Candler between Chamblee MARTA and South DeKalb, via Decatur MARTA. Etc. Upgrading popular and key bus routes, to tram lines, on the MARTA map.

South Fulton would get high quality frequent tram lines (with lots of park&ride) on S Fulton Pwky to Chattahoochee Hills, Roosevelt Hwy to Palmetto, and Camp Creek Pkwy out to FIB. All connecting with College Park MARTA station.

Atlanta would get nice tram lines on Northside Dr, Peachtree Rd between Brookhaven and Arts Center, Campbellton Rd out to Greenbriar, North Avenue crosstown, etc. Wherever applicable. And including service for always-neglected NW Atlanta/Buckhead. Like a line on Howell Mill, and one for Marietta Blvd.

Cobb County would have its primary focus on a really HQ main line along I-75 corridor, between KSU and Arts Center. Its money could be poured into improvements, to make it more like rapid transit, less like bus.

Plus a frequent line on Mableton Pwky, for South Cobb. Connecting with a new Blue Line MARTA station at FIB.

And if East Cobb ever so chose, they could have a line on Johnson Ferry, to Sandy Springs MARTA.

Anyway, bottom line, we could have a massive, interconnected, comprehensive, truly regional transit system. With every line being high frequency and rapid and high quality as possible. But without needing to build out rail or much in the way of infrastructure. We could afford it, and it could come online quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 12:22 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
I don't care what you call them; without dedicated lanes, guideway, etc. these will still get caught on traffic and demand riders will not ride it; no matter how much you cover up the rubber wheels.
Quote:
...calling them “trackless trains” is a bit of branding misdirection that might create yet another “tier” of transit that simply shouldn’t be. Buses can and should run as well as trains. When they do, they ought to be admired as the most evolved of their kind, and not a new species.
https://www.citylab.com/transportati...-a-bus/545189/

Old 11-16-2017, 12:26 PM

1,180 posts, read 983,599 times
But aren't they just buses? Is the point of referring to them as trams to make it for palatable for Cobb and Gwinnett? If they don't have dedicated lanes initially, I'm not understanding how they will be more convenient than buses. It just seems like BRT to me.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:56 PM

You wouldn't call it a bus if it was the same exact thing but running on an actual rail, so why does it need to be called a bus if the rail is virtual, ie. guided by sensors and technology? It's still guided. Like rail. And with all the other characteristics of LRT, like permanent stations.

And yes, I'd say the term tram makes it sound better, and potentially more attractive to demand riders.

As far as slowdowns due to vehicle congestion, then just address that issue as it comes up, with money. I was simply suggesting some cheap ways that could somewhat address that, such as the TSP, and shoulder-running and HOV-running.

Some day though, maybe only a few decades out, everything on the road could be AV, controlled and guided by computers. That would help these vehicles a lot, as it might have to run at 30 mph during busier hours instead of at 60 mph, but everything should be smoother.

And, again, I'm not saying no to dedicated lanes. Give it dedicated lanes, for key lines. That just costs more.

One easy and cheap way to get dedicated lanes is to convert right hand lanes to tram-only. Buford Hwy, Memorial Dr, etc.

I just don't think that would be an option in Buckhead. So they'd run in mixed traffic. But they could still be totally great.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:58 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
But aren't they just buses? Is the point of referring to them as trams to make it for palatable for Cobb and Gwinnett? If they don't have dedicated lanes initially, I'm not understanding how they will be more convenient than buses. It just seems like BRT to me.
It's not even BRT, since it lacks the dedicated right of way of BRT.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:06 PM

Here's Buford Highway, in Gwinnett:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0033...7i13312!8i6656

Running a tram in the right-hand lane in mixed traffic, with transit signal priority, is not going to significantly hinder the performance of the thing.

Someday, after it's been in place for a while and builds ridership and becomes really popular, you can convert that right-hand lane to tram-only, or build a new lane for tram-only. Great. It doesn't mean that you need that on day one.

Get the system in place, then gradually improve it over time and as new money comes in.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:24 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Here's Buford Highway, in Gwinnett:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0033...7i13312!8i6656

Running a tram in the right-hand lane in mixed traffic, with transit signal priority, is not going to significantly hinder the performance of the thing.

Someday, after it's been in place for a while and builds ridership and becomes really popular, you can convert that right-hand lane to tram-only, or build a new lane for tram-only. Great. It doesn't mean that you need that on day one.

Get the system in place, then gradually improve it over time and as new money comes in.
I'd like to see that solution for MARTA Route 39 now, running XN-60 in dedicated lanes, station-like stops placed further apart and on the far-side of intersections with live arrival screens.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:29 PM

I'd like to see a limited-stop, TSP, very frequent tram line on Buford Highway between Lindbergh MARTA and Suwanee Town Center, via a new Norcross MARTA station built right on Buford Highway at the DeKalb/Gwinnett County line. So that the tram never leaves its lane on Buford Hwy except at the ends.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:38 PM

Then for the other main corridor of DeKalb/Gwinnett, a similar solution. With DeKalb's funds, expand the Green Line MARTA heavy rail out to Northlake and a final stop in Downtown Tucker, right on 29. Then with Gwinnett's funds, a frequent tram line on 29/Church St between Downtown Lawrenceville and Downtown Decatur, via the Tucker HRT station. Then Tucker has direct access to both Atlanta and its county seat Decatur.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:40 PM

815 posts, read 708,210 times
This looks really cool. I would definitely ride it as long as it is nice, safe and saves a lot time. The GRTA buses are really popular for these reasons so I don't see why this idea wouldn't work. I have had some really bad experiences on MARTA buses in the past so I can see why people don't like them. I don't think it's because people here just are opposed to buses no matter what.

Anyway, this is definitely not your typical bus so I think folks would get more excited about it than a bus line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta