Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 09:47 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Indeed.

I want to know how they're going to be reversing east-west trains around Five Points. The pocket track to the west is too close to the Dome, and the nearest crossover is east of King Memorial. I suspect they are going to have to single-track between King Memorial and Five Points, and that is going to cause some major slowdowns during Monday morning's commute unless they turn the train around fast at Five Points and send them back eastbound.
They'll use the interlock at King Memorial, which is why passengers at King Memorial, Georgia State and Five Points will have to listen for platform announcements for next train. Which means upset passengers as they will have to descend to the mezzanine to change platforms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 09:50 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Yesterday I paid my last respects to the Georgia Dome. I took some pictures from the Sundial in the Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel, and a few more pictures from the vicinity of Philips Arena and Mercedes-Benz Stadium too. The Georgia Dome had the ambiance of an airplane hangar inside, but nonetheless, I attended four regular-season NFL games, a pre-season NFL game, a Peach Bowl, a high-school football playoff game, and an Olympic basketball game there, and I passed by every time I attended an event at the Georgia World Congress Center too, so it'll be bittersweet to see it reduced to rubble tomorrow.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:09 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Might check it out in the morning

Old 11-19-2017, 11:16 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
$500 million and the dreams of a generation -- gone in a cloud of dust.
I never really warmed up to it...very utilitarian and in time, quite dated. Mauve and turquoise? Really.
MBS is a worthy replacement. I won't miss the Dome at all.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:27 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I never really warmed up to it...very utilitarian and in time, quite dated. Mauve and turquoise? Really.
MBS is a worthy replacement. I won't miss the Dome at all.
Shows how far stadium design has came in 25 years. When the dome opened, it was the largest covered stadium in the world, by capacity.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:31 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
$500 million and the dreams of a generation -- gone in a cloud of dust.
And why was a new stadium approved? How wasteful.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Because these days you have to stay on the cutting edge of design and technology in order to attract world-class events like the Super Bowl or World Cup. It's the reason new stadiums are being constructed all over the world and not just Atlanta.
You snooze, you lose.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:41 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Because these days you have to stay on the cutting edge of design and technology in order to attract world-class events like the Super Bowl or World Cup. It's the reason new stadiums are being constructed all over the world and not just Atlanta.
You snooze, you lose.
And that can't be accomplished with a few updates here and there? Aside from the roof, what major issues were there?

The new stadium is way too trendy to still look new 25 years from now, so they might as well start planning its replacement, if that's the way things have to be done.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:16 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Quote:
You snooze, you lose.
Quote:
And that can't be accomplished with a few updates here and there?
Aside from the roof, what major issues were there?

The new stadium is way too trendy to still look new 25 years from now, so they might as well start planning its replacement, if that's the way things have to be done.
The major issue with the Georgia Dome was that Jerry Jones, the flamboyant and somewhat high-strung owner of the NFL's Dallas Cowboys, was using his much newer "Jerry world" stadium (a common nickname for the eight year-old AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas) to attempt to convince SEC (Southeastern Conference) officials to move the highly-coveted SEC Football Championship Game from Atlanta to Dallas after Texas A&M became a member of the SEC in 2011.

Hosting what is considered by many to be the most high-profile college football conference championship game (the SEC/Southeastern Conference Championship Game) in a region of the country that is college football mad (in the Southeastern U.S.) is a tremendous source of pride and joy around these parts.

To many metro Atlantans and Georgians, hosting the SEC Championship Game is like hosting the Super Bowl every year because of the extremely high caliber of the college football programs that come through the event each year often in route to either a National Championship game/playoff appearance or a National Championship trophy itself.

Losing the SEC Championship Game to Dallas and the perennially conniving Jerry Jones would have been a massive blow to the psyche of many metro Atlantans and Georgians and a massive blow to Atlanta's and Georgia's image as the sporting and convention showcase centerpiece of the Southeastern U.S. as far as many locals are concerned.

To many local event planners and business boosters, possessing the right to host SEC Championship Game every year is considered to be the foundation of Atlanta's and Georgia's image as a Southeastern national sporting mecca in a metro area and state that is a prep-college football/sports hotbed in a region of the country where college football is followed and worshipped with a religious-like fervor.

When Atlanta boosters got wind of the aggressive campaign by Jerry Jones to get SEC officials to move the SEC Championship Game from the "aging" Georgia Dome in Atlanta to the new AT&T Stadium (aka "Jerry World") in Dallas, it was a foregone conclusion that Atlanta was getting a new football stadium.

Make no mistake, the desire of Atlanta boosters and hospitality community (hotels, hired-car services, restaurants, etc) to be awarded another Super Bowl, NCAA basketball Final Fours and College Football playoff and championship games (college athletic events that are considered to have a Super Bowl-type of impact), the protestations of Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank, etc, served as very major motivations for Atlanta leaders to fund the construction of a new football stadium.

But it was the continuing reports that Dallas Cowboys' owner Jerry Jones was aggressively campaigning to get SEC officials to move the highly-prized and highly-coveted SEC Championship Game from Atlanta to Dallas that was the thing that lit a fire under Atlanta leaders to move with lightning speed to get a new football stadium built.

Basically, the prospect of seeing Atlanta's and Georgia's precious SEC Championship Game be played in Jerry World in Dallas as Jerry Jones looked on with a big fat victorious grin from his owner's suite was what was the major issue with the Georgia Dome.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
And that can't be accomplished with a few updates here and there? Aside from the roof, what major issues were there?

I can't argue with someone that has this tenuous a grasp on aesthetics, craftsmanship and artistic reference.
Here's some recommended reading. I warn you, it's written at above an eighth-grade level.

https://www.csmonitor.com/1981/1214/121434.html

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e_Fountainhead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta