Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 06:56 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,929 times

Advertisements

I've frequented these forums for many years and often get reminded how much of the city I know very little about, so I am going to seek the wisdom of the ATL folks on city data

I need to find a rental in the next 2-3 months. For expediency, assume that my savings have been depleted and that I have a poor credit score (meaning that I will not be able to purchase anything for at least a year).

What I am looking for:
A single family home with 3+ bedrooms. Wife does not want a townhome. Wife also does not want carpet on the ground floor.

Budget for rent:
$1600 or less (i'd love to come in around ~1400 if possible)
Currently playing $1250, but am starting a new job next month which will come with a raise

Preferred amenities:
A garage so that I can safely house my motorcycle.
A back yard where we can install playground equipment (if there is not a neighborhood playground within walking distance
At least 1500 sq.ft. I will be working from home a lot of the time, so I will need space to set up a home office

Preferred environment:
An area that is relatively safe where I will not have to be concerned about the neighborhood element (have a wife and toddler, and the new job will require some overnight travel)
A neighborhood/subdivision with a playground would be ideal

Preferred location
I would prefer to be within ~1 hour of the airport OR within 15 minutes of a MARTA rail station since my new job will require regular travel.

In my time here in Atlanta I have always lived north of I-20 (on GaTech Campus, off of Collier Rd, in Smyrna/Vinings, in east Roswell, in Lenox Park/Morningside, and finally in Norcross proper. I realize that there are many nice areas around the city, but I do not venture deep within the perimeter enough nowadays to have an informed opinion of which transitioning areas might or might not fit the bill

I realize that my budget for rent is going to severely limit my options and that living ITP is unlikely given the cost of rent these days. My wife and I would prefer Fulton, Dekalb or Gwinnett counties to Cobb in order to avoid having to deal with the GA 41 corridor.

Leading candidates so far based on places we have spent a lot of time are:
Norcross, Chamblee, Dunwoody, Alpharetta..... however, I know that there are other areas that might work.

What is Avondale Estates or Scottdale like nowadays? Which areas south of I-20 and east of I-75 might work? We had family that lived near Turner field, but he often told us stories about having to watch out for kids in the neighborhood scoping his property out (street smart New Yorker, i trust his judgement). How are Clarkston or Redan?

Dream locations (outside of our budget) would be the area near where we used to live in Morningside:
Area between VaHi and Druid Hills, Oakhurst... I seem to gravitate towards the eastern half of the perimeter because I am more familiar with that area. I remember the Moore's Mill /Howell Mill area being alright, but I haven't driven around there in at least 5 years.

So, what areas should I be looking in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 08:32 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I've frequented these forums for many years and often get reminded how much of the city I know very little about, so I am going to seek the wisdom of the ATL folks on city data

I need to find a rental in the next 2-3 months. For expediency, assume that my savings have been depleted and that I have a poor credit score (meaning that I will not be able to purchase anything for at least a year).

What I am looking for:
A single family home with 3+ bedrooms. Wife does not want a townhome. Wife also does not want carpet on the ground floor.

Budget for rent:
$1600 or less (i'd love to come in around ~1400 if possible)
Currently playing $1250, but am starting a new job next month which will come with a raise

Preferred amenities:
A garage so that I can safely house my motorcycle.
A back yard where we can install playground equipment (if there is not a neighborhood playground within walking distance
At least 1500 sq.ft. I will be working from home a lot of the time, so I will need space to set up a home office

Preferred environment:
An area that is relatively safe where I will not have to be concerned about the neighborhood element (have a wife and toddler, and the new job will require some overnight travel)
A neighborhood/subdivision with a playground would be ideal

Preferred location
I would prefer to be within ~1 hour of the airport OR within 15 minutes of a MARTA rail station since my new job will require regular travel.

In my time here in Atlanta I have always lived north of I-20 (on GaTech Campus, off of Collier Rd, in Smyrna/Vinings, in east Roswell, in Lenox Park/Morningside, and finally in Norcross proper. I realize that there are many nice areas around the city, but I do not venture deep within the perimeter enough nowadays to have an informed opinion of which transitioning areas might or might not fit the bill

I realize that my budget for rent is going to severely limit my options and that living ITP is unlikely given the cost of rent these days. My wife and I would prefer Fulton, Dekalb or Gwinnett counties to Cobb in order to avoid having to deal with the GA 41 corridor.

Leading candidates so far based on places we have spent a lot of time are:
Norcross, Chamblee, Dunwoody, Alpharetta..... however, I know that there are other areas that might work.

What is Avondale Estates or Scottdale like nowadays? Which areas south of I-20 and east of I-75 might work? We had family that lived near Turner field, but he often told us stories about having to watch out for kids in the neighborhood scoping his property out (street smart New Yorker, i trust his judgement). How are Clarkston or Redan?

Dream locations (outside of our budget) would be the area near where we used to live in Morningside:
Area between VaHi and Druid Hills, Oakhurst... I seem to gravitate towards the eastern half of the perimeter because I am more familiar with that area. I remember the Moore's Mill /Howell Mill area being alright, but I haven't driven around there in at least 5 years.

So, what areas should I be looking in?
One word, Tucker.

I feel it's exactly what you're looking for.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:54 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
One word, Tucker.

In terms of bang for your buck, most definitely.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...63_rect/11_zm/

Old 11-19-2017, 05:25 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
One word, Tucker.

You could throw in Lilburn, too. But, really, if you research well, you might be able to do just as well, and save a few bucks by looking into the Stone Mountain-Clarkeston area. Save for a home for when your toddler is older and your credit situation improves. There are nice places to live in the area, just not much in the way of schools. Maybe the area just south of Tucker—bordered by Ponce-Hambrick-Memorial-and Rays Rd for a start.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:32 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
I was thinking that sounded EXACTLY like what my wife and I rented in Tucker (she was at Mercer at the time).

I think most people have a bad impression of the place, but in the 3 years we lived there we had zero issues. I've had more issues in the past 3 years out here in rural GA than in Tucker.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:28 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
You could throw in Lilburn, too. But, really, if you research well, you might be able to do just as well, and save a few bucks by looking into the Stone Mountain-Clarkeston area. Save for a home for when your toddler is older and your credit situation improves. There are nice places to live in the area, just not much in the way of schools. Maybe the area just south of Tucker—bordered by Ponce-Hambrick-Memorial-and Rays Rd for a start.
I know several people in Stone Mountain / Smoke Rise and they love it. I also heard some realtors talking that it is a great value. Sure, some need a renovation but can be an amazing value even with renovation dollars was their conclusion. True confession: I personally do not know the area.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:40 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I know several people in Stone Mountain / Smoke Rise and they love it. I also heard some realtors talking that it is a great value. Sure, some need a renovation but can be an amazing value even with renovation dollars was their conclusion. True confession: I personally do not know the area.
Jeoff has given the OP an EXCELLENT suggestion. A temporary suggestion, but an excellent one for now that saves money.

The are you are describing is actually a small bit east of where jeoff is describing. Very close by, but world's a part in what it is.

Smokerise is Dekalb's "rural estate" area. It is the closest thing to the large lot ares of Buckhead around.

They are all large heavily wooded and extremely hilly lots. They are higher-end homes, but the area has not held up well as business growth has gone mostly due north. They haven't appreciated in value, like neighborhoods in Dunwoody and Sandy Springs.

Smokerise is a phenomenal value if it matches your commute, but it is a higher end area and the OP won't afford it. There will also be fewer rentals.

Click here https://www.google.com/maps/place/At...!4d-84.3879824

Smoke rise is that area to the southeast of Tucker where you can see the tree cover more filled in than all the areas around it. It looks like it is almost directly headed to Stone Mountain via Hugh Howell.

Jeoff is talking about the area that is due south of Tucker (west of that industrial district) where the tree cover looks like most other areas.

That area isn't as expensive and many ignore it from the high amounts of apartments in the area feeding into the local schools. That makes it a good, quiet cost savings suggestion as Jeoff was pointing out. There will also likely be more house rentals.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:45 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Smoke Rise & Waters Edge are gorgeous, and have been prime neighborhoods for years (decades actually for Smoke Rise.) They would be double the price or more if they were on the Northside.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:53 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Mountain Park area is a perfect location, and combo of safe and affordable rental homes. It's much nicer than the areas of Lilburn to its north.

It's a great location because you've got the amazing Stone Mountain Park in your backyard, Gwinnett County schools, and a direct shot into Decatur (and to 285) via the 78 freeway. And plus you're right next door to Tucker, which has a nice historic downtown area. As well as Stone Mountain village.

I love the east side. But there are also similar nice residential home areas on the west side. Mableton and whatnot. Also a great location for a lot of reasons.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:12 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Mountain Park area is a perfect location, and combo of safe and affordable rental homes. It's much nicer than the areas of Lilburn to its north.

It's a great location because you've got the amazing Stone Mountain Park in your backyard, Gwinnett County schools, and a direct shot into Decatur (and to 285) via the 78 freeway. And plus you're right next door to Tucker, which has a nice historic downtown area. As well as Stone Mountain village.

I love the east side. But there are also similar nice residential home areas on the west side. Mableton and whatnot. Also a great location for a lot of reasons.
Well, that is interesting. I have a friend (former coworker) who lives in Stone Mountain and she advised me to not bother looking past exit 7 (Hugh Howell) off of Stone Mountain Hwy (GA 78).

I don't know much about Mountain Park. Will do some google street view tours until I can drive around the area.

As an aside, schools might be an issue.. the wife wants to live in the next rental until we can purchase something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta