U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 12:47 PM

617 posts, read 374,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
This right here is the problem. Slower? Slower than what? It's not defined, completely open to interpretation. Yes, it's implied that "slower" means slower than other vehicles, but it's not "shovel to the face" blunt, which is what most people need.

Now, use the better phrase of "keep right unless passing" and there is nothing to hem and haw over. It's very concise, Easily policed.... and coming from places where that's the standard, just as readily ignored (like, say, speed limits).

People are idiots. People are oblivious. It's just going to keep on getting worse, so if your panties get in a bunch over it, stop driving or stop wearing panties.

Yep.
The "keep right except to pass" is simple and makes a lot of sense, but during heavy traffic or rush hour it doesn't work. There's only a few lanes to handle tens of thousands of cars, and dedicating one lane to the one guy that wants to drive 90+ makes zero sense during heavy traffic conditions.
And yes, I know about the move-over law and I Do Not Give a hoot.
Our goal during rush hour is to get as many people as possible to work as quickly, efficiently, and safely as possible, and if that means I have to drive slower than I want to, then so be it.

OTOH, No one should ever drive in the left lane slower than the next lane over. Never. Nor even drive at the same speed as the next lane to the right unless there's no possibility of going faster, such as during rush hour.
Moving over during rush hour for the guy on your bumper causes a traffic wave in the next lane and further slows down traffic for everyone, and that is stupid.

Out of town on the open road is a different matter. Stay out of the left lane unless you are passing.
In my previous post, I should have mentioned that if I'm in the left lane it's because passing some slower cars and trucks. If I'm passing cars and someone comes up behind me going 2 mph faster, I'm not going to move over and get in line with the much slower cars that I'm passing just so that guy can creep on by. If he's flying, then yeah Ima getting out of the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 10:24 PM

5,361 posts, read 3,570,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
The Thrashers' problem did not seem to be a lack of fan support as much as it seemed to be an extremely emotionally volatile out-of-state ownership group whose members increasingly often could not even stomach the thought of being in the same room with each other, much less work with each other to make sure their professional sports franchises (both the Thrashers and the Hawks at the time) continued to run smoothly.
This.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:52 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,607,142 times
Default Gubernatorial candidate Michael Williams' 'Deportation Bus' breaks down

Georgia Republican gubernatorial candidate and state Senator Michael Williams' 'Deportation Bus' broke down on Thursday during a statewide tour designed to bring attention to the illegal immigration issue while responding to a recent commercial where fellow Georgia Republican gubernatorial candidate and Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp espoused that he would round up illegal aliens in his pick-up truck if he had to.

Senator Williams (of Cumming) used the 'Deportation Bus' to convey a message to deeply conservative Republican primary voters that he would be tough on criminal illegal aliens if he were to be elected Governor.

Recent polls show Williams in last place in the Georgia Republican gubernatorial primary with a reported 3 percent of support by primary voters.

"Gubernatorial candidate's 'deportation bus' breaks down during tour" (The Hill)
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartanntp

Old 05-18-2018, 07:56 AM

23,126 posts, read 35,257,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Georgia Republican gubernatorial candidate and state Senator Michael Williams' 'Deportation Bus' broke down on Thursday during a statewide tour designed to bring attention to the illegal immigration issue while responding to a recent commercial where fellow Georgia Republican gubernatorial candidate and Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp espoused that he would round up illegal aliens in his pick-up truck if he had to.

Senator Williams (of Cumming) used the 'Deportation Bus' to convey a message to deeply conservative Republican primary voters that he would be tough on criminal illegal aliens if he were to be elected Governor.

Recent polls show Williams in last place in the Georgia Republican gubernatorial primary with a reported 3 percent of support by primary voters.

"Gubernatorial candidate's 'deportation bus' breaks down during tour" (The Hill)
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartanntp
I only wish that the breakdown had occurred at the intersection of Buford Highway and Briarwood Road.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:08 PM

10,039 posts, read 9,415,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I only wish that the breakdown had occurred at the intersection of Buford Highway and Briarwood Road.
Ha! No kidding, LD!

Old 05-18-2018, 05:31 PM

29,516 posts, read 26,535,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Ha! That is funny, Icon.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:19 PM

5,361 posts, read 3,570,001 times
I just sprayed my wine!

Old 05-20-2018, 08:12 AM

15,377 posts, read 27,642,704 times
Which hotel is the best near Fox Theater? The Georgian Terrace, Hotel Indigo or is there another? Need walking distance. Thanks!

Old 05-20-2018, 09:33 AM

29,516 posts, read 26,535,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Which hotel is the best near Fox Theater? The Georgian Terrace, Hotel Indigo or is there another? Need walking distance. Thanks!
We always use the Georgian Terrace and have had good experiences. You can usually get a block of rooms with reasonable advance booking.

Last edited by arjay57; 05-20-2018 at 09:44 AM..

Old 05-20-2018, 09:41 AM

15,377 posts, read 27,642,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We always use the Georgia Terrace and have had good experiences. You can usually get a block of rooms with reasonable advance booking.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or