U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2019, 04:02 PM

10,024 posts, read 9,335,427 times

Advertisements

I'm a fan of the Perdido Key area. Much less crowded than Destin, which we appreciate. In fact, we like the area so much that we are moving very close to Perdido Key this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 04:17 PM

23,067 posts, read 35,028,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I'm a fan of the Perdido Key area. Much less crowded than Destin, which we appreciate. In fact, we like the area so much that we are moving very close to Perdido Key this year.
True about Destin, but once you're on 30A you are a world away from that mess.
And for a more permanent resident, Perdido/Orange Beach might be a better choice by virtue of amenities offered.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:02 PM

257 posts, read 140,127 times
Quote:
Congrats on the upcoming move.

Is the sand and water quality similar to Destin and 30A?

At least a few good restaurants around? Perdido Key looks a little sparse on google maps, a good thing and a bad thing I guess.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2atl View Post
Is the sand and water quality similar to Destin and 30A?
It is.

Quote:
At least a few good restaurants around? Perdido Key looks a little sparse on google maps, a good thing and a bad thing I guess.
There are, including the iconic Flora-Bama.

https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=res...%20Key%2C%20FL

https://www.florabama.com/

Old 01-02-2019, 09:40 AM

932 posts, read 930,649 times
Quote:
Hey folks! Looking for thoughts on Perdido Key vs 30A (Seagrove Beach, etc) for a family beach week.

Specifically, oceanfront condos. For a family with 2 toddlers.

We’ve loved Seagrove Beach, but the oceanfront condos with good pools are limited and a little shabby. Considering the newer condos at Perdido Key. Like Indigo.

Priorities
1. On the beach! With chair rental service.
2. Nice pool
3. Clean condo
4. Some restaurants nearby (will mostly cook)

Any insights? I’ve been tempted by Perdido Key for a couple years but have never been. We keep it pretty low key for beach week, mostly at the beach, pool and in the condo.
First and foremost, these are my two favorite beaches in Forida. LD, and I discussed these locations not to terribly long ago.

Now, these two places are like night a day. 30A in its entirety is far more development and “urban” relatively speaking in comparison to Perdido Key. There are far more shops, restaurants, and events there as well.

PK is rural. Its sandwiches in between NAS and Orange Beach, which OBA is more akin to 30A in terms of busyness than PK, which is like comparing Valdosta to Atlanta during summer.

If I had a family and we were going based off what your priorities are, I’d go with Perdido. It’s quieter, less congested, you have more beach to yourself (relaxing), and it’s just a much more pleasant place. Plus, PK has some good restaurants nearby.

Someone mentioned the Florabama. Just let me say this, if you try this place, make sure you go to The Yacht Club side and not Ole River Grill. I’m just trying to save you some money and disappoitment. Also Lillian’s Pizza is great, as is Fisherman’s Corner, Sunset Grill, and Jellyfish. There are other good ones, like The Point, but they are over the bridge, which can be hell to cross in the summer.

Also, if you find yourself kinda wanting to get a little more action going, all you have to do is take a left out of your condo and head to OBA. That’s the good thing about PK is that you can have quiet but then booming is only a short drive away. 30A is flat out BUSY.

If you have any questions about the areas themselves, let me know. I can try to help as much as possible.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
PK is rural. Its sandwiches in between NAS and Orange Beach, which OBA is more akin to 30A in terms of busyness than PK, which is like comparing Valdosta to Atlanta during summer.
Have you been to Perdido lately?

The poor Flora-Bama has become virtually invisible amidst all the towers.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:50 AM

257 posts, read 140,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
First and foremost, these are my two favorite beaches in Forida. LD, and I discussed these locations not to terribly long ago.

Now, these two places are like night a day. 30A in its entirety is far more development and ďurbanĒ relatively speaking in comparison to Perdido Key. There are far more shops, restaurants, and events there as well.

If I had a family and we were going based off what your priorities are, Iíd go with Perdido. Itís quieter, less congested, you have more beach to yourself (relaxing), and itís just a much more pleasant place. Plus, PK has some good restaurants nearby.

Someone mentioned the Florabama. Just let me say this, if you try this place, make sure you go to The Yacht Club side and not Ole River Grill. Iím just trying to save you some money and disappoitment. Also Lillianís Pizza is great, as is Fishermanís Corner, Sunset Grill, and Jellyfish. There are other good ones, like The Point, but they are over the bridge, which can be hell to cross in the summer.

Also, if you find yourself kinda wanting to get a little more action going, all you have to do is take a left out of your condo and head to OBA. Thatís the good thing about PK is that you can have quiet but then booming is only a short drive away. 30A is flat out BUSY.

If you have any questions about the areas themselves, let me know. I can try to help as much as possible.
Thank you, this is super helpful and exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for!

Old 01-02-2019, 11:28 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,832,657 times
Quote:
Priorities
1. On the beach! With chair rental service.
2. Nice pool
3. Clean condo
4. Some restaurants nearby (will mostly cook)
We always stayed at the Sterling Sands in Destin when we had the exact same requirements. I haven't been in a few years, so double check everything....

- It has a large beach and not a lot of rooms. This means you have plenty of room.
- The units are all privately owned, so the quality varies. Rooms are bigger than in other buildings.
- Basic pool and Jacuzzi, but my kids loved it. Super easy to go for a bit and then head back. One year we rented a place on the first floor right above the pool.
- Basic family friendly restaurants like the Back Porch are great with kids. There is a Publix super close.

Go to the Grayton/Seaside/Roseamry beach when the kids are older and you want some none beach activities.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Have you been to Perdido lately?

The poor Flora-Bama has become virtually invisible amidst all the towers.
Lol. I havenít been yet in 2019, but I doubt itís any different than it was in 2018. PK is definitely building upwards, but itís still quiet and peaceful. And Iíve always like the fact that you could run to Pensacola or Gulf Shores. Itís not like Pensacola Beach/Gulf Breeze which is an absolute nightmare in the summer. Destin/Miramar/30A is the 9th Ring of Hell in the Summer. OBA too.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Do it! You will not regret it! Since I first visited, Iíve imagined myself living in the gated subdivision at the end of Innerarity Point Rd. Itís just a dream though, Iím not leaving Georgia. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or