U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2019, 06:36 PM

3,146 posts, read 1,453,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
While visiting the town of Camilla during a stop on a tour through South Georgia, Georgia Governor Brian Kemp signed a record-breaking $27.5 billion Georgia state budget for fiscal year 2020, which begins on July 1, 2019.

Included in the record-breaking state budget is $150 million for Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger's office to replace the state's outdated touchscreen voting machines.

Kemp Signs 2020 Budget During South Georgia Swing (Georgia Public Broadcasting)

This sounds like a step in the right direction (teacher salary increase). As for the voting machines, I hope blockchain technology will soon be used so that there is a far far less chance of anything getting hacked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 07:53 PM

15,346 posts, read 27,540,368 times
AnsleyPark - get settled in ok on the Gulf Shore?

Old 05-12-2019, 07:54 PM

15,346 posts, read 27,540,368 times
Happy Mother's Day to all!

Old 05-12-2019, 08:52 PM

2,063 posts, read 828,171 times
I forgot to tell mine. She's not going to be happy.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:59 PM

6,180 posts, read 5,553,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I forgot to tell mine. She's not going to be happy.
That's unfortunate.

But it is still technically Mother's Day until midnight, so you've still got time to at least give her (what will probably be a very apologetic) call.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:10 AM

10,024 posts, read 9,337,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
AnsleyPark - get settled in ok on the Gulf Shore?
Thanks for asking Beretta! Yep - we are currently renting a place in Perdido Key. Hopefully moving into the new house by mid-June. It is quite a change from Metro Atlanta, i have to say. However, traffic is a breeze! I'm constantly amused when folks down here talk about how bad the traffic is. They have no idea...

Old 05-14-2019, 08:04 PM

2,009 posts, read 2,144,747 times
Default A premature goodbye to Atlanta

This post will probably be my swan song for this message board. If matters continue on their current course, 3 weeks from now I will no longer be an Atlanta resident. I have been unsuccessful in my hunt for a job for the past few months and my resources are spent.

Truth be told, I am rather bitter, upset and sad about my predicament. I've lived in the Atlanta metro since 1995 when I arrived to study at Georgia Tech. School was tough, and trying to eke out a life and living here has proven to be difficult and evasive. Even with an engineering degree from Tech it took me 4 years after graduating to find gainful underemployment. I successfully transitioned from that first job, but when I was laid off it took me 6 months of looking in Atlanta to find another position... a remote one with a start-up out of North Carolina. That one lasted less than a year before the department was cut in half (and me along with it).

Here I am 9 months and some 800+ applications for ATL area jobs later with little to nothing to show for my efforts. I do like living in the Atlanta metro. A portion of my extended family eventually moved here and I have 20 years worth of memories, friends and experiences. It isn't perfect (bad traffic, not much in the way of geographic features, high unemployment and low economic diversity for a big city), but it has its pluses as well: low population density, typically mild winters, an easily accessed airport that flies everywhere and just about every amenity any other large American city has to offer.

After I got married and started a family, I really figured that I would live out most of the rest of my life here (in the north metro) once I figured out how to break into a profession/industry that would compensate me better than I had been before. But I either gave myself, or the Atlanta job market too much credit; I have struggled economically for more than half of my time in the Atlanta metro and paying those dues hasn't translated into any kind of economic stability that wasn't temporary and fleeting.

The bitter part comes from the Atlanta job market basically turning is back on me for the 3rd time. The sad and upset part comes from this predicament basically destroying the home our family had cobbled together. Resources are strained so I will be going north for work while they go south to shelter with friends. Our possessions will end up somewhere in the middle... stored away where neither group will have easy access to them. There soon won't be a family bed/table/couch for me to come visit. The position I am taking is a contract one, so I won't have a permanent address for more than a few months. We might have roofs over our heads, but we will effectively be homeless until we have enough resources to provide some measure of stability.

It feels a bit like one of my worst fears slowly manifesting itself into reality. Multiple times a day I try to figure out what series of mistakes I inadvertently made that led to this situation, but nothing really stands out... except perhaps for trying to make a go of it as a single income household for too long (not how I wanted things to go, but its a moot point).

Anyways, as much as Atlanta has been a part of my life (there isnt' anywhere I have lived for as long), I will probably find the memory of losing almost everything too traumatic for me to be too eager to visit it. I'm not sure what deficiency I suffer from that has left me unable to thrive here and that ignorance makes me feel very ashamed.

So, farewell to the many regular users who post (Born 2 Roll has given me a lot of reputation points over the years).... and welcome and good luck to all of the recent and forthcoming transplants embarking on new lives and new careers here. I am insanely envious of those of you who have figured out how to make it work here. I wish that I could have too. More than that, I wish that I could have at least kept my family intact.

-k

Old 05-14-2019, 08:40 PM

3,146 posts, read 1,453,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
This post will probably be my swan song for this message board. If matters continue on their current course, 3 weeks from now I will no longer be an Atlanta resident. I have been unsuccessful in my hunt for a job for the past few months and my resources are spent.

Truth be told, I am rather bitter, upset and sad about my predicament. I've lived in the Atlanta metro since 1995 when I arrived to study at Georgia Tech. School was tough, and trying to eke out a life and living here has proven to be difficult and evasive. Even with an engineering degree from Tech it took me 4 years after graduating to find gainful underemployment. I successfully transitioned from that first job, but when I was laid off it took me 6 months of looking in Atlanta to find another position... a remote one with a start-up out of North Carolina. That one lasted less than a year before the department was cut in half (and me along with it).

Here I am 9 months and some 800+ applications for ATL area jobs later with little to nothing to show for my efforts. I do like living in the Atlanta metro. A portion of my extended family eventually moved here and I have 20 years worth of memories, friends and experiences. It isn't perfect (bad traffic, not much in the way of geographic features, high unemployment and low economic diversity for a big city), but it has its pluses as well: low population density, typically mild winters, an easily accessed airport that flies everywhere and just about every amenity any other large American city has to offer.

After I got married and started a family, I really figured that I would live out most of the rest of my life here (in the north metro) once I figured out how to break into a profession/industry that would compensate me better than I had been before. But I either gave myself, or the Atlanta job market too much credit; I have struggled economically for more than half of my time in the Atlanta metro and paying those dues hasn't translated into any kind of economic stability that wasn't temporary and fleeting.

The bitter part comes from the Atlanta job market basically turning is back on me for the 3rd time. The sad and upset part comes from this predicament basically destroying the home our family had cobbled together. Resources are strained so I will be going north for work while they go south to shelter with friends. Our possessions will end up somewhere in the middle... stored away where neither group will have easy access to them. There soon won't be a family bed/table/couch for me to come visit. The position I am taking is a contract one, so I won't have a permanent address for more than a few months. We might have roofs over our heads, but we will effectively be homeless until we have enough resources to provide some measure of stability.

It feels a bit like one of my worst fears slowly manifesting itself into reality. Multiple times a day I try to figure out what series of mistakes I inadvertently made that led to this situation, but nothing really stands out... except perhaps for trying to make a go of it as a single income household for too long (not how I wanted things to go, but its a moot point).

Anyways, as much as Atlanta has been a part of my life (there isnt' anywhere I have lived for as long), I will probably find the memory of losing almost everything too traumatic for me to be too eager to visit it. I'm not sure what deficiency I suffer from that has left me unable to thrive here and that ignorance makes me feel very ashamed.

So, farewell to the many regular users who post (Born 2 Roll has given me a lot of reputation points over the years).... and welcome and good luck to all of the recent and forthcoming transplants embarking on new lives and new careers here. I am insanely envious of those of you who have figured out how to make it work here. I wish that I could have too. More than that, I wish that I could have at least kept my family intact.

-k

Thank you for sharing. I can hear the pain in your post. You have lived here for so long and haven't found happiness in terms of financial stability and so I can understand why it sounds as if you feel betrayed by Atlanta. The first thing I would like to say is that you are not alone. I'm pretty sure there are many who are in your position. I know you have a lot of memories here and those memories are for you to keep. You graduated with an engineering degree from Tech and so why beat yourself up? You've tried your best to look for work here and have been willing to move to another state. This is a lesson and you are learning from it. Some people don't. It seems as if you will have to be open to different states and move where there's an abundance in jobs. That's just how things are today. For more and more industries, people have to be willing to move and move far. The thought of Texas doesn't give me nice thoughts but have you considered Houston or Dallas?

Look...Need4Camero had to do the same thing. I had to do the same thing at one point. I've been working a lot of retail and I can tell you work life hasn't been rosy for me either. Self employment is something I may have to consider. Maybe in the future after you find a job, save up money, you can create your own business and then have more freedom over where you choose to live. You are not a failure. You haven't given up yet. You looking for work in other states is a good sign.

I'm pretty sure temp jobs, the change from employee to contractor jobs, won't be just concentrated in the South forever. This will envelop the U.S. economy along with offshoring/insourcing. Again, I'm pretty sure your story is one many share but it's just not being told.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:53 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,806,367 times
I am sorry that things have not gone better. I hope that things turn around soon.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:21 PM

4,217 posts, read 3,587,190 times
All the Best, it may be no mistake at all and you could be upon the biggest breakthrough ever. Remain optimistic, and the right door will open up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or