U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 07:01 PM

3,149 posts, read 1,459,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
The thought of Texas doesn't give me nice thoughts you say. Why is that?

I see your post but want to be careful to keep my posts centered on the OP and not make it about myself. I recommended where I did because of the low cost of living. I've heard tech is growing there due to many leaving Cali. for cheaper pastures. I really thought Atlanta was growing in tech but all too often I'm hearing this kind of story and so if Atlanta isn't working for the OP, then perhaps another major city will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 10:00 PM

5,308 posts, read 3,520,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Glad to hear it, AP! I know what you mean about traffic in other locations; too funny.

Pics are welcome!

Tarzanman - Wishing you all the best in the future. Don't give up on living your dream. I am a believer that we end up where we are supposed to be.
I totally agree with Beretta, we end up where are supposed to. I'm sorry Atlanta wasn't it for you, but you and your family will be fine.

All the best Tarzanman, and keep positive - you have a lot to offer.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:19 AM

2,108 posts, read 841,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I see your post but want to be careful to keep my posts centered on the OP and not make it about myself. I recommended where I did because of the low cost of living. I've heard tech is growing there due to many leaving Cali. for cheaper pastures. I really thought Atlanta was growing in tech but all too often I'm hearing this kind of story and so if Atlanta isn't working for the OP, then perhaps another major city will.
Both Atlanta and Texas are growing in Tech but it does seem like Texas is growing faster in that arena, Austin especially (where you pretty much HAVE to be in tech if you want to survive there).

So from the way it was explained to me, In a typical sense for larger tech companies, the Pacific region is where tech companies typically originate / pioneer and projects / work / campuses are slowly migrated eastward, typically the further west you are the more tech orientated you may find the region. Texas is actually still only 1/3rd of the way to California...well...the eastern side of Texas where mostly everyone in the state lives atleast. DFW became a operations hub where as Austin became a corporate hub. DFW has several Fiber distribution centers making it more viable as a hub for operations.

Atlanta actually has quite a few as well. (Century Link, Google, AT&T, GTT, ect)

I believe the difference is these operating centers are technically closer to their 'parent' in Texas, also Texas is known for giving these larger hubs tax breaks. (Apple is getting one in Austin).

Dont be deceived though, while these corps definitely drive up the economy, they also drive up the cost of living. Austin for example is much smaller than Atlanta but is also much more expensive. So have to make sure the salary matches before uprooting and moving out west for a tech job.

So in summary I believe this is mostly because of Geographical location.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:44 AM

2,009 posts, read 2,148,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Well, C-D friends, I never imagined the day would come when I would leave metro-Atlanta. I will remain a lurker on this board and pop in from time to time, I'm sure. You guys keep up the good work looking after the City and her environs. If you have not already, I urge you to become actively involved in your communities - it is very rewarding and a wonderful way to give back to this great place we call home.

I do admire all of you for your love of Atlanta, even though we may not see eye-to-eye on everything. But remember, debate and discourse are good things and we can all learn a lot through it. Just keep in mind to try and be respectful of everyone, regardless of your differences.

I love Atlanta and have spent 30 wonderful years here. I'm sure going to miss it.

Take good care. It has been a pleasure getting to know you all here.

Ansley
Wow. I'm not sure what to say... partly because I consider you a knowledgeable fixture on the atlanta forum and partially because I will be leaving Atlanta myself (though under unhappier circumstances). I got here 6 years after you did.. I'll have been here almost exactly 24 years (give or take about 2 weeks).

I have vacationed in Perdido Key twice. The traffic in Pensacola does get considerable... even though the volume isn't as great as that of Atlanta, the gridlock and delays in getting around certainly can be.

With luck, I will make my way back to my family and perhaps Florida. Good reading your posts and I hope this chapter of your life is at least as rewarding as the last one.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:21 PM

3,149 posts, read 1,459,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Both Atlanta and Texas are growing in Tech but it does seem like Texas is growing faster in that arena, Austin especially (where you pretty much HAVE to be in tech if you want to survive there).

So from the way it was explained to me, In a typical sense for larger tech companies, the Pacific region is where tech companies typically originate / pioneer and projects / work / campuses are slowly migrated eastward, typically the further west you are the more tech orientated you may find the region. Texas is actually still only 1/3rd of the way to California...well...the eastern side of Texas where mostly everyone in the state lives atleast. DFW became a operations hub where as Austin became a corporate hub. DFW has several Fiber distribution centers making it more viable as a hub for operations.

Atlanta actually has quite a few as well. (Century Link, Google, AT&T, GTT, ect)

I believe the difference is these operating centers are technically closer to their 'parent' in Texas, also Texas is known for giving these larger hubs tax breaks. (Apple is getting one in Austin).

Dont be deceived though, while these corps definitely drive up the economy, they also drive up the cost of living. Austin for example is much smaller than Atlanta but is also much more expensive. So have to make sure the salary matches before uprooting and moving out west for a tech job.

So in summary I believe this is mostly because of Geographical location.

This whole time I thought it was tarzanman who wrote all that. I was like...did he have a conversation with Need4Camero lol how does he know all this. I didn't recommend Austin for that very reason. I hear housing in Houston is still pretty affordable and would hope that he could find a salary to more than match the cost of living. I also wouldn't expect for him to move out West before having a firm job offer but he needs to expand his job search as GA and NC don't seem to be working for him.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:40 PM

1,166 posts, read 535,082 times
Default Leaving Atlanta...

My family and I will be moving to Dallas over Memorial Day weekend, and Iíd just have some reflections:

We thought that the people were absolutely wonderful. People were genuinely friendly, and southern hospitality is real. Even though a lot of people are transplants who arenít from the South, most of them are open to making friends.

There are plenty of things to do in Atlanta. We were only fifteen minutes away from SunTrust Stadium, so that kept us plenty busy. Of course thereís more to Atlanta than sports, we saw many several plays at the Fox.

The weather was about what we expected. The winters are milder than in St. Louis. The summers really arenít that much hotter in terms of absolute temperature, but they begin earlier and last longer. Overall we preferred Atlanta's climate.

The main downside was the traffic. Itís absolutely atrocious. Thereís so little planning. Obviously adding more lanes isnít the only solution, but no one wants to seem to do anything. At least in Dallas DH's and my offices will be right next to each other and will only be 20 minutes away from our house.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:49 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,353,450 times
Soccernerd, Dallas is a great city. I’m sure you guys will enjoy living there. Best wishes to you all.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:09 PM

5,308 posts, read 3,520,434 times
Sorry to hear you're leaving Soccernerd, and best of luck in Dallas.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed your time here, and I agree with one of your major points. I'm convinced that this is the overall friendliest major Metro in the country. Although we're transplant dominated now, it's even infectious with new arrivals. It's one of the major reasons I love it here.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:14 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,840,935 times
Best of luck!

Old 05-18-2019, 05:26 AM

3,631 posts, read 1,218,750 times
Best of luck to you in Dallas!

I know you mentioned the coming fallout with the BB&T and SunTrust merger played a large part in your leaving Atlanta, but who knows what the future will bring. Maybe you will end up back here if the stars align.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or