Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2019, 09:42 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,363,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
All the Best, it may be no mistake at all and you could be upon the biggest breakthrough ever. Remain optimistic, and the right door will open up.

Agreed. You may find more than just a few great job leads and land one you see as ideal. You'd think it was a dream that something could exist. I would look into cities that are growing because I'd assume that demand would be higher. I mean dude...you have an engineering degree from Tech. I find it VERY hard to believe you won't be able to find a good job in another state. Be willing to extend your search beyond the Southeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 09:50 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,236,582 times
There have been many posts about how the job market is slanted to favor businesses and not individuals, and that is particularly true for mid-level or more experienced employees.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:44 AM

748 posts, read 339,045 times
Sorry things are not going how you would like, and this may seem easy to say for me or others, but this change could be something wonderful for you.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:49 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Thanks for being part of the ATL, Tarzanman. Best wishes on your new endeavors.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:01 AM

815 posts, read 708,120 times
Tarzanman, I am so sorry you're having to move under these circumstances. Thanks for having the courage to share your story. I'm sure there are many others out there who are struggling.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:02 AM

23 posts, read 17,429 times
I have a tech degree as well in "computer science" and to be quite honest, I gave up on job seeking in that "tech" field due to frustration. It is not as rosey as people think. Some employers deal with tech employees real real.... Real bad (overworking "wearing multiple hats"). I feel your pain, I am going into a completely different career now while I run a business on the side.

Stay strong, and don't be afraid to try another direction that is more "stable" for your family. I have taken up to $30k in pay cut just for "stability".

Old 05-15-2019, 12:42 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,475,985 times
Very sad, hope things improve for you. I had my fair share of complaints about Atlanta, but the IT job scene was never one of them. It was one of the few things that kept me there so long. Are you in IT or some niche engineering field? Seems RecursiveLoop shares your frustration. I went though a similar phase in my younger years so maybe you just need a little more experience? Anyway, keep your chin up, stay positive and keep trying to find your groove. Eventually things will work out.

Coincidentally, we went to look at short sale home this morning and I found myself more interested in the story behind the short sale than the home itself. Lots of family photos everywhere, seems they have lived there for over a decade. Really felt uneasy knowing this family was in free fall and about to lose everything.

Wish there was more we could do to help...

Old 05-15-2019, 12:49 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Thank you for sharing. I can hear the pain in your post. You have lived here for so long and haven't found happiness in terms of financial stability and so I can understand why it sounds as if you feel betrayed by Atlanta. The first thing I would like to say is that you are not alone. I'm pretty sure there are many who are in your position. I know you have a lot of memories here and those memories are for you to keep. You graduated with an engineering degree from Tech and so why beat yourself up? You've tried your best to look for work here and have been willing to move to another state. This is a lesson and you are learning from it. Some people don't. It seems as if you will have to be open to different states and move where there's an abundance in jobs. That's just how things are today. For more and more industries, people have to be willing to move and move far. The thought of Texas doesn't give me nice thoughts but have you considered Houston or Dallas?

Look...Need4Camero had to do the same thing. I had to do the same thing at one point. I've been working a lot of retail and I can tell you work life hasn't been rosy for me either. Self employment is something I may have to consider. Maybe in the future after you find a job, save up money, you can create your own business and then have more freedom over where you choose to live. You are not a failure. You haven't given up yet. You looking for work in other states is a good sign.

I'm pretty sure temp jobs, the change from employee to contractor jobs, won't be just concentrated in the South forever. This will envelop the U.S. economy along with offshoring/insourcing. Again, I'm pretty sure your story is one many share but it's just not being told.

The thought of Texas doesn't give me nice thoughts you say. Why is that?

Old 05-15-2019, 03:20 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Very sad, hope things improve for you. I had my fair share of complaints about Atlanta, but the IT job scene was never one of them. It was one of the few things that kept me there so long. Are you in IT or some niche engineering field? Seems RecursiveLoop shares your frustration. I went though a similar phase in my younger years so maybe you just need a little more experience? Anyway, keep your chin up, stay positive and keep trying to find your groove. Eventually things will work out.

Coincidentally, we went to look at short sale home this morning and I found myself more interested in the story behind the short sale than the home itself. Lots of family photos everywhere, seems they have lived there for over a decade. Really felt uneasy knowing this family was in free fall and about to lose everything.

Wish there was more we could do to help...
I have a moderate amount of experience under my belt. 13 years cumulative after college and another year or two of work before that.

I've done
web pages (when designers were still called webmasters, but i've kept most of those skills current)
industrial equipment commissioning
equipment design
lab testing
product/technical support
sales
3d modeling and 2d technical drawings
proposal and spec review with contractual terms
QA
IT work back in early 00's (network maintenance and checking). I'm not a sysadmin, but I can make my way around a linux box..

and i also speak 4 languages (just English and Spanish fluently, though). Its hard for me to believe that no companies out there can find a use for any of my skills. I absolutely love learning to do new things on the job.

My biggest sin might have been my reticence to leave Atlanta. Well, i'm being forced to now... i just wish my family and home life didn't have to bear the brunt of the blow.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:37 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Thanks for asking Beretta! Yep - we are currently renting a place in Perdido Key. Hopefully moving into the new house by mid-June. It is quite a change from Metro Atlanta, i have to say. However, traffic is a breeze! I'm constantly amused when folks down here talk about how bad the traffic is. They have no idea...
Glad to hear it, AP! I know what you mean about traffic in other locations; too funny.

Pics are welcome!

Tarzanman - Wishing you all the best in the future. Don't give up on living your dream. I am a believer that we end up where we are supposed to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta