Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 10:54 AM

133 posts, read 494,120 times

Advertisements

what does downtown atlanta look like now? Does it look like warzone, or just a few window panes from tall buildings knocked out? What kind of damage is there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 10:59 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Other than the windows in the highrises, the majority of the streets in downtown are cleaned up, and you'd he hard pressed to realize what had happened. I toured the GWCC on Monday and had to walk over from my office on Ivan Allen, and there was very little evidence of anything on the streets. There was a group of probably 50 guys with brooms and rakes cleaning up Centennial Park, and the only evidence left there was the torches that got blown over (which are probably cut up and gone by today).

Several street closures still exist, and they're changing daily. Most are related to work above the streets to replace glass. The Westin is supposed to start replacing glass today, so several streets are blocked near there.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:46 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
You'll notice a number of rubble and collapsed brick walls if you drive down Dekalb Avenue near King Memorial Station. Downtown is pretty well cleaned up, though. I haven't been to the Centennial Park/CNN area since the tornado, but the opther areas of downtown aren't too bad.

Apparently, a lot of streets are getting closed as we speak, in preparation for today's possible storm.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:22 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times
I work across the street from the Westin, I've used it as an excuse not to go into work this week. Work from home

Old 03-19-2008, 09:24 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
They have just said on the news tonight that they strongly encourage people not to come downtown unless they must. There is still a very strong danger of falling glass and today a good number of pedestrians reported "close calls" by nearly being hit. Today was a very windy day - it's not supposed to be as windy for the weekend.

They say the Peachtree center MARTA station has been closed due to the falling glass issues and MARTA has said they are not sure when it will reopen.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:20 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
I work downtown at Peachtree Center. They just don't allow anything but local pedestrian and car traffic on some roads. There's very little street-level damage. Most of it's higher up. For instance, a couple of the Peachtree Center pedestrian bridges something like 15 floors up have all the glass blown out. The Westin is missing a bunch of windows. It's very windy out as mentioned, so I haven't been spending more time outdoors than it takes to get to the parking garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: