Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 12:38 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Just like how there are racist people in the city who do not want white people moving in. This is happening right now. There is no difference. Also Gentrification and displacement are not one in the same. I have a YouTube video I can link on that subject so maybe you can understand it?
There no point, cause you trying point out a few black racist is not going to represent majority of Blacks.

It hard responding to you because you have this larger agenda of wanting whites to be massively victims of blacks in country that overwhelming whites, economically dominated by whites. I think you have this white guilt complex because the history of racism, So rather then getting over the past and facts, you become defensiveness and see everything a racial competition. In which you make Blacks and some time America itself against whites......................... I can't help u you with that.

What your trying to do is distort the issue of gentrification of people being priced out, and make a false equivalency of some upper class whites fleeing minorities for no other reason than the demographics changes. It's not the same thing.

We been through this before months ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 01:06 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,352,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
There no point, cause you trying point out a few black racist is not going to represent majority of Blacks.

It hard responding to you because you have this larger agenda of wanting whites to be massively victims of blacks in country that overwhelming whites, economically dominated by whites. I think you have this white guilt complex because the history of racism, So rather then getting over the past and facts, you become defensiveness and see everything a racial competition. In which you make Blacks and some time America itself against whites......................... I can't help u you with that.

What your trying to do is distort the issue of gentrification of people being priced out, and make a false equivalency of some upper class whites fleeing minorities for no other reason than the demographics changes. It's not the same thing.

We been through this before months ago
You realize white people who are moving into the city are not racists right? A few white racists represents everyone according to you but a few racists blacks doesn’t? Walk me through that logic will you?

It is hard to respond to you because unless there is a YouTube video you simply can’t understand. Gentrification has nothing to do with displacement or people being forced out. In fact nobody is being forcibly removed from the city of Atlanta. This isn’t 1930’s Germany.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:13 PM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
The situation is different from middle class blacks vs lower class black neighborhoods. Not every one own there homes, Some people can be living in a neighborhood for decades and raised in it, then suddenly they can't afford it.

Black owners would sell simply cause they never seen that type of money, And as you pointed out it actually a bad decision because it too early, And as some pointed the demographic alone can affect prices which is a racist practice. Which means who ever they selling to is going to see more money from it then they ever could anyways.

But there is an issue of Blacks not investing back in there community, Other minorities groups would invest in there more communities and etc even if it's lower class. Upperclass Blacks on other hand are more likely to just move to suburban area. This does contribute partly to lack on upward mobility in these neighborhoods, Cause home grown upward mobility fless. The History of Sweet Aurburn is a good example. It was an upclass black Neighborhoods cause Blacks actually invested in the neighborhood but after segregation end the black wealth left. Technically this is called Black flight but it's not what BR Valentine was referring to. They didn't flee because they didn't like the demographics of the neighborhood.

Which bring me two other points

1. Seeing signs in Korean means directly means that family is hard working and just trying to live the American dreams, So what "fear" can one possibly have against that other than there racist?

2. The poverty in suburbs is increase due ironically because of Gentrification in the city. That city becomes so high that their best option become the suburbs, Remember Gentrification doesn't fix the problem it just push it around.
thanks for the insights. The lady I was talking to sold for 107K. Had she hung on I think the property is worth well over $225K in just 3 years as it stood.
A white couple bought it as an investment and I think they improved it but I'm not sure if they flipped it or kept it.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:49 PM

294 posts, read 264,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Good thread with a link to an interesting article that touched on some key points like:

> How Gwinnett's population boom (though it started about at least 20 years later than other core metro Atlanta counties like Cobb and DeKalb) was started in earnest by the opening of the old Western Electric plant at I-85 and what is now Jimmy Carter Boulevard (then Norcross-Tucker Road) in the Norcross area...

> How non-Hispanic/Latino whites now make up only about 39% of the population in a county where non-Hispanic whites made up 96% of the population as recently as 1980...

> How Atlanta's berth as host of the 1996 Summer Olympics triggered an even larger population boom that attracted minorities in very large numbers to a Gwinnett County that already had a reputation for having some of the best public schools in the Southeastern U.S....

> How much of the boom in the minority population in Gwinnett County was also as a result of growing minority populations spilling over into the county from neighboring DeKalb County...

> How Gwinnett County's population has gone from 72,000 in 1970 to about 910,000 today, a growth rate of more than 1100%! in 47 years...

> How Gwinnett County notable (even notorious) real estate construction boom of the 1980's, '90's and 2000's appeared to contribute directly to the boom in the county's Hispanic population because of the use of undocumented migrant workers from Mexico and Central America on construction projects in the county during that boom period.
Thank you for summarizing.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:08 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
You realize white people who are moving into the city are not racists right? A few white racists represents everyone according to you but a few racists blacks doesn’t? Walk me through that logic will you?

It is hard to respond to you because unless there is a YouTube video you simply can’t understand. Gentrification has nothing to do with displacement or people being forced out. In fact nobody is being forcibly removed from the city of Atlanta. This isn’t 1930’s Germany.
The fail part of your "try" to be smirk response is that has nothing to do with me.

1. Why do I got to realize 'white people who are moving into the city are not racists" When I just you white people moving city aren't racist?.. that called a straw man When literally just told you "The issue isn't White moving in, Whites should move to the city the issue is lower class minorities being priced out. The city needs to remand affordable so city can keep both. "
The argument is like this

me... The issue isn't White moving in, It's minorties being price out
You.... Whites moving aren't in aren't racist

It's like Cartoon..........cause you trying so hard to push a straw man,
2. "A few white racists represents everyone according to you but a few racists blacks doesn’t? Walk me through that logic will you?"

Easy...... Straw man #2 Not according to me but according to you what you want to be according to me. I never said that........ It's you who believe that most blacks are racist it's you who believe blacks commonly display racism against white, I don't believe that about whites. I only believe there's a small percentage of racist whites. You on the other hand
So... again...."It hard responding to you because you have this larger agenda of wanting whites to be massively victims of blacks in a country that overwhelming white, economically dominated by whites. I think you have this white guilt complex because the history of racism, So rather then getting over the past and facts, you become defensiveness and see everything a racial competition. In which you make Blacks and some time America itself against whites......................... I can't help u you with that. "
3. "It is hard to respond to you because unless there is a YouTube video you simply can’t understand."
Mean while I just told you...... There no point, cause you trying point out a few black racist is not going to represent majority of Blacks........ meaning If you post YouTube video I still wouldn't agree with you. This is what I'm talking about you trying to respond smirk but can't even do it.

4. "Gentrification has nothing to do with displacement or people being forced out"

Ok let look at defination
  1. Gentrification | Define Gentrification at Dictionary.com

"the buying and renovation of houses and stores in deteriorated urban neighborhoods by upper- or middle-income families or individuals, raising property values but often displacing low-income families and small businesses."

2. Gentrification | Definition of Gentrification by Merriam-Webster

"the process of renewal and rebuilding accompanying the influx of middle-class or affluent people into deteriorating areas that often displaces poorer residents"

Last edited by chiatldal; 11-25-2017 at 10:17 PM..

Old 11-26-2017, 07:39 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
When I read this article the other day, this is the quote that stood out to me the most about the whole situation

Quote:
“I think everybody thinks of the old times as the better times — and sometimes when you really drill down into it, they weren’t really better times,” Preston said

Old 11-27-2017, 11:01 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Driving around parts of Gwinnett as the article mentioned, it would be easy to assume the population is 50% Asian. You see Korean signs EVERYWHERE. But it's only 12% Asian...it's more than double that black. So how come you see so many more Asian owned businesses than African American owned businesses? Is it because Asians are more entrepreneurial? Or is it that there are twice as many black owned businesses and you just can't tell because they don't self-identify by catering only to their own communities?
Or perhaps it's because the signs for Black-owned businesses are in English and not Swahili.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:41 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
How much of the boom in the minority population in Gwinnett County was also as a result of growing minority populations spilling over into the county from neighboring DeKalb County...
This is an interesting point I think a lot of people miss about Gwinnett's boom. I know a ton of folks from Dekalb and South Atlanta/South Fulton that moved to Gwinnett when they started their families. All of these people are Black, Indian, or Korean.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:31 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
When I read this article the other day, this is the quote that stood out to me the most about the whole situation
Rose-colored glasses.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:37 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,593 times
seriously after recently driving around Pleasant Hill Rd recently, I almost thought I was in Seoul, South Korea. I also never recall so many massage and sauna places in Gwinnett County. It seems like just about every other business in that area now is a Korean grocery, a cleaners or a massage/sauna place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta