Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 05:03 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Didn’t even call me ...
My mom would have been sad cause I'm sure we would have spent the whole time painting the town red...

Old 11-30-2017, 05:21 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Was home visiting family for Thanksgiving week. Things that impressed
Glad your mom is doing well, Saintmarks. The Emory medical campus is really something.

Your take on the city much like mine. If I'm away for even a few weeks I am blown away when I get back home.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:48 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The beauty. Atlanta is so beautiful. Hills. Trees. The thing I miss the most out here in Texas. It never ceases to get me, even moreso that I don't see it daily.
When I lived in other cities, this was what always struck me most upon returning home.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:48 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,707 times
I had some people in from out of town recently and a younger person from the west coast was blown away at Midtown, downtown, and the east side. They had a complete misperception of Atlanta as a small southern town; it was fun to see their perception shift.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:56 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
I had some people in from out of town recently and a younger person from the west coast was blown away at Midtown, downtown, and the east side. They had a complete misperception of Atlanta as a small southern town; it was fun to see their perception shift.
I don't understand how there are still adults who are ignorant to Atlanta's size and prominence in this nation(NFL home games routinely show Atlanta's skyline). Who really believes Atlanta is a 'small southern town' these days? The thing you hear most about Atlanta is it's bad traffic...typically one associates bad traffic with large cities. It's mind boggling.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:28 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Your take on the city much like mine. If I'm away for even a few weeks I am blown away when I get back home.
Same here. I venture into town from the hinterlands about once or twice a month. It always astounds me at the new construction, revitalization, growing street life, building cranes, new businesses... Wow. And I thought I saw a lot of growth and renaissance during the 25 or so years I lived in Midtown!

Old 12-01-2017, 01:35 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't understand how there are still adults who are ignorant to Atlanta's size and prominence in this nation(NFL home games routinely show Atlanta's skyline). Who really believes Atlanta is a 'small southern town' these days? The thing you hear most about Atlanta is it's bad traffic...typically one associates bad traffic with large cities. It's mind boggling.
It's odd, but I get this a lot from people I know from California/West Coast that come here. As frustrating as it is, the West Coast is very far removed (in many ways) from what's going on here in the eastern part of the country. Basically the only have to go on for what Southern life is like is from the film version of the South which is hot, sweat, backwards small town America. This is changing more that Atlanta is a centerpiece of film of TV, but it's not exactly an accurate portrayal.

Funny short story on this: I was in Spokane a few weeks ago for a project. While speaking to my coworkers about the the weather (which was the stereotypical PW wet, chilly, and dreary most of the time I was there) someone said "Oh, I guess this is a lot colder than you're used to, huh?" They were shocked when I told them we can go toe to toe with them in the wet dreary cold business, but that it was actually 20 degrees colder in Atlanta that day than there.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:20 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,903 times
"They were shocked when I told them we can go toe to toe with them in the wet dreary cold business"

That's actually false

Old 12-01-2017, 05:59 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,707 times
The best part was the person from South America who said "I had no idea cities in the US had so many trains!" From her perspective, riding MARTA into the city from the airport, and seeing the Streetcar all around downtown, and seeing the MARTA trains pass by every few minutes as we ate at Fox Bros, a visitor got the impression that Atlanta had a robust transit system. We know its shortcomings but it's worth paying attention to how well-served certain areas of the city are, and the kinds of benefits those parts of the city enjoy as a result.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:20 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Unfortunately there are many in the press and academia who've made careers out of carping on our beautiful, booming city as the "poster child for suburban sprawl" which is "choking on nightmarish traffic."

So that's all a lot of people hear. Nowheresville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta