Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2017, 09:41 AM

36 posts, read 72,447 times

Advertisements

1. Budget - about $1500. Want 2 bd apt.
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - Apt, condo or town home.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - Wife would be working in Alpharetta at Marriott. I'm not sure yet.
4. Children(public school vs. private) - Public ok. I have a 10 y.o. who currently lives with his mom but is with me summers and holidays.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - A mix
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - Not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - Preferably some diversity and safety is very important to my wife. She's also a "foodie" so good food is a plus.

My wife is an executive with Marriott and is going to be applying at the Marriott hotel located in Alpharetta. Since she has the better job, we will be moving for her job. This means that I will have to find something if she ends up getting the job. I am a licensed clinical social worker in Florida and am applying today to get my Georgia license in case we move.

I was wondering about what town to live in? It's more challenging because I don't have a job lined up and can't accept anything in case she doesn't get the position that she's going for, so I don't know where I'll be working, but we do know where her job will be. We are looking for a 2 bedroom apt and would prefer something below $1500 if possible. My wife likes good food and we are a mixed race couple (white and Indian) so diversity is always a plus. I also have a 10 year old that lives with me on Holidays and summers.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by Kayakphotos; 12-01-2017 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 04:50 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
There is no shortage of desi folks living in Alpharetta. $1500 should rent you a 2 bedroom single family home or apartment.

Everything is wide open. There are plenty of apartments and homes to rent around the Windward Pkwy area. That part of the metro area is largely very safe. You'd have to drive pretty far to find a neighborhood with lots of crime ( http://www.city-data.com/city/Alphar...[fs]=false )

Old 12-01-2017, 05:01 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakphotos View Post
1. Budget - about $1500. Want 2 bd apt.
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - Apt, condo or town home.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - Wife would be working in Alpharetta at Marriott. I'm not sure yet.
4. Children(public school vs. private) - Public ok. I have a 10 y.o. who currently lives with his mom but is with me summers and holidays.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - A mix
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - Not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - Preferably some diversity and safety is very important to my wife. She's also a "foodie" so good food is a plus.

My wife is an executive with Marriott and is going to be applying at the Marriott hotel located in Alpharetta. Since she has the better job, we will be moving for her job. This means that I will have to find something if she ends up getting the job. I am a licensed clinical social worker in Florida and am applying today to get my Georgia license in case we move.

I was wondering about what town to live in? It's more challenging because I don't have a job lined up and can't accept anything in case she doesn't get the position that she's going for, so I don't know where I'll be working, but we do know where her job will be. We are looking for a 2 bedroom apt and would prefer something below $1500 if possible. My wife likes good food and we are a mixed race couple (white and Indian) so diversity is always a plus. I also have a 10 year old that lives with me on Holidays and summers.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
There are numerous apartment complexes of good quality right in the immediate vicinity and in the very near area around where your wife will be working at the Atlanta Marriott Alpharetta at Georgia 400 and Windward Parkway.

East of the Georgia 400 freeway (in Alpharetta proper), there are apartment complexes where you can look for housing along major roadways like Windward Parkway, North Point Parkway and Old Milton Parkway.

West of the Georgia 400 freeway (in Milton proper), there are multiple apartment complexes along roads like Morris Road and Deerfield Parkway where you can look for housing.

There are also apartment complexes in the area of Alpharetta proper west of the Georgia 400 freeway along roads like Henderson Parkway, Cumming Street and Westside Parkway.

With there being so many apartment complexes in and around the area where your wife will be working in Alpharetta (and neighboring Milton) in an area of numerous retail and dining amenities in North Fulton County (and numerous recreational amenities in North-Northeast metro Atlanta), you really should not need to look any further away from your wife's place of work than Alpharetta and Milton.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:28 AM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
There is no shortage of desi folks living in Alpharetta. $1500 should rent you a 2 bedroom single family home or apartment.

Everything is wide open. There are plenty of apartments and homes to rent around the Windward Pkwy area. That part of the metro area is largely very safe. You'd have to drive pretty far to find a neighborhood with lots of crime ( http://www.city-data.com/city/Alphar...[fs]=false )
I don't know about the single family home, I think that's pushing it personally.. but an apartment or townhouse should be no issue.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone! Sounds like there are a lot of options.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:01 AM

I have another quick question:

If I get a job in the Marrieta/North Atlanta area, what would be the best town to live in for each of us to have a reasonable commute time?

Old 12-09-2017, 08:21 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakphotos View Post
I have another quick question:

If I get a job in the Marrieta/North Atlanta area, what would be the best town to live in for each of us to have a reasonable commute time?
Probably Roswell if you work in Marietta or the I-75 Northwest corridor (you can shoot across Georgia 120 from Roswell to Marietta) and maybe Sandy Springs if you work at or inside the Perimeter on the Northside.

Keep in mind that a massive reconstruction project is in progress at the I-285/Georgia 400 interchange, so getting through that area over the next few years is going to be more challenging than it already is while that project proceeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta