Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 02:38 AM

333 posts, read 388,077 times

Advertisements

I suspect that it has much to do with the migration into Atlanta from other big US cities where horn blowing is just part of the daily drive. Lately, I'll hear a driver blow even when immediately driving after the light turns green. It doesn't bother me, but could lead to road rage with another driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 10:02 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Oh, I didn't mean today, just a lot of honking in general. And it's not that they are honking at me (I don't think), but the noise still startles me. So much aggressive driving these days.
Oops, I guess I shouldn't have assumed. Yeah, people are very impatient and their driving can be aggressive. The other night, I saw that a driver was up my car's behind and so I put on my indicator to signal I will go into the lane to the right of me. I looked over and started to go when the driver behind me speeds up so fast. I had to quickly get back in my lane and I blew that horn for a long time because what that driver did was so selfish and dangerous. I wasn't taking long to get out of the lane. At one point I wondered if the person was drunk or maybe they wanted to get into an accident to see if they could get money but they would have been in the wrong.

I try not to horn. I'm not a teenager anymore and so I have learned patience. If I do see someone at the light and it's changed and they're not moving, I give them a little toot just to let them know the light's changed. One time it was more than a toot but that was by accident. I wonder if toot is the right word to use. Is that word only used for farting nowadays? I still use toot to mean a little horn.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:23 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
I never hear car horns, or any car noise. I guess cause I don't live in "the city".

Old 12-09-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I never hear car horns, or any car noise. I guess cause I don't live in "the city".
I don't hear them much either. I can understand why some need to use their horn in Atlanta. I notice that almost every time I drive in Atlanta, people for some reason do not stay in their lanes.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:53 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I don't hear them much either. I can understand why some need to use their horn in Atlanta. I notice that almost every time I drive in Atlanta, people for some reason do not stay in their lanes.
Not only that, this kind of behaviour rarely make a difference. How many times have you seen some self-important hornblower accelerating in and out of traffic, only to pull up beside them at the next intersection? Man, are they making good time.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Not only that, this kind of behaviour rarely make a difference. How many times have you seen some self-important hornblower accelerating in and out of traffic, only to pull up beside them at the next intersection? Man, are they making good time.

Arjay, I was legit just outside of my friend's complex when this car with Florida plates cuts me like nothing then brakes up on me because they need to make a turn. I was like...really?!?! You could have just waited until I turned. That person definitely heard my horn.

I usually don't use my horn because I like to have both hands directing the wheel and so if I get a strong urge to use it, it means someone did something dangerous that almost caused an accident.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Arjay, I was legit just outside of my friend's complex when this car with Florida plates cuts me like nothing then brakes up on me because they need to make a turn. I was like...really?!?! You could have just waited until I turned. That person definitely heard my horn.

I usually don't use my horn because I like to have both hands directing the wheel and so if I get a strong urge to use it, it means someone did something dangerous that almost caused an accident.
With drivers like this, even if I could get out of my neighborhood, I would still stay home because they will drive aggressively and end up sliding and flipping over. What I was talking about regarding the Florida driver occurred many weeks ago. Had it happened yesterday, we'd probably be going to court because pressing my brakes like I did would have resulted in me skidding into their car.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:47 PM

21 posts, read 18,844 times
I’m here, right off of Briarcliff, and hear horns everyday. It doesn’t really bother me, coming from DC. I’ve gotten used to the aggressive/impatient drivers quickly. What DOES bothers me, however, are the Florida drivers that hog the left lanes, or the truckers in the far left lanes on the connector

Old 12-10-2017, 08:59 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Oops, I guess I shouldn't have assumed. Yeah, people are very impatient and their driving can be aggressive. The other night, I saw that a driver was up my car's behind and so I put on my indicator to signal I will go into the lane to the right of me. I looked over and started to go when the driver behind me speeds up so fast. I had to quickly get back in my lane and I blew that horn for a long time because what that driver did was so selfish and dangerous. I wasn't taking long to get out of the lane. At one point I wondered if the person was drunk or maybe they wanted to get into an accident to see if they could get money but they would have been in the wrong.

I try not to horn. I'm not a teenager anymore and so I have learned patience. If I do see someone at the light and it's changed and they're not moving, I give them a little toot just to let them know the light's changed. One time it was more than a toot but that was by accident. I wonder if toot is the right word to use. Is that word only used for farting nowadays? I still use toot to mean a little horn.
It's still a toot!

Old 12-10-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
It's still a toot!
Okay good. Haha. Now I won't feel awkward using that word in front of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta