Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 11:14 AM

2,302 posts, read 2,961,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Catholics schools that are part of a Diocese are going to be cheaper. The focus of these schools was to be able to educate young Catholics in standard disciplines and in the Catholic faith of course. In traditional Catholic areas, they are Catholic schools all over the place. In Atlanta, there are relatively few and most private schools are old school elitist ones (I'm not stating that as a judgement - merely describing the difference in such schools rather than as Catholic or similar religious schools such as some Episcopal schools who feel that they have a role to help educate people regardless of income).

That said, most private schools are affiliated with a church.
When you say "most private schools are old school elitist ones", what you're saying is "most of the ones I know of--which isn't many." In reality, most of our private schools are small places that don't make the news, that serve a niche such as special needs, learning disabilities, bilingual, Orthodox Jewish, Montessori, Waldorf, professional kids, evangelical Christian, I could go on and on.

And the ones you may think are "old school elitist ones," aren't that way. Take Westminster--nothing old school about its curriculum, admission is need-blind and they give $5 million a year in financial aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 03:16 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,106,431 times
Quote:
When you say "most private schools are old school elitist ones", what you're saying is "most of the ones I know of--which isn't many."
No, that's not what I'm saying. I already wrote what I said and that wasn't it.

Please don't do it again. My comment is not judgemental and doesn't fit your narrative. Move on.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:48 PM

2,302 posts, read 2,961,913 times
Quote:

Please don't do it again. My comment is not judgemental and doesn't fit your narrative. Move on.
Hey, JoeP, just saying I disagree with your statements that most of our private schools are a certain way. I'm always an advocate for our small private schools that offer such a wide variety of curricula and world views. For examples. . .Here are just a few of the ones around the city that march to their own beat.

Academe of the Oaks
Annunciation Day School
Arbor Montessori School
Atlanta Academy
Atlanta Country Day School
Atlanta Girls School
Atlanta International School
Atlanta Montessori International School
Atlanta Speech School
Atlanta Youth Academy
Ben Franklin Academy
Cliff Valley School
Cumberland Academy
Davis Academy
Epstein School
Fulton Science Academy Private School
Heritage Preparatory School
Hess Academy
High Meadows School
Intown Community School
Midtown International School
Mohammed Schools
Rivers Academy
Springmont School
The Children's School
The Community School
The Cottage School
The Friends School of Atlanta
The Howard School
The Paideia School
The Piedmont School of Atlanta
The SAE School
The Schenck School
The Swift School
The Waldorf School
The Walker School
Torah Day School of Atlanta
Yeshiva Ohr Yisrael of Atlanta

Old 12-15-2017, 10:13 PM
bu2

23,845 posts, read 14,623,704 times
Quote:

Actually he quoted you exactly. That may not have been what you meant, but that is exactly what you wrote.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:07 AM

175 posts, read 200,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Many of the faculty are priests and nuns, which may also have a bottom-line impact.
I don't know of any Catholic schools in Atlanta that have nuns/priests as teachers but please correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe this is true in Boston or other large Metro areas with a big Catholic population.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Actually he quoted you exactly. That may not have been what you meant, but that is exactly what you wrote

Wrong. I was referring to the response.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I disagree with your statements that most of our private schools are a certain way
My comment about "most" is the context of what most people here discuss, which are few specific schools.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:53 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,620,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Many of the faculty are priests and nuns, which may also have a bottom-line impact.
your lucky today to have 5-10% of the staff as ordained P/N's

Old 12-16-2017, 12:18 PM

2,239 posts, read 5,815,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabang View Post
I don't know of any Catholic schools in Atlanta that have nuns/priests as teachers but please correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe this is true in Boston or other large Metro areas with a big Catholic population.
Marist has several priests. My daughter had one for 7th grade English.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:35 PM

23,299 posts, read 43,751,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
your lucky today to have 5-10% of the staff as ordained P/N's
It was speculation on my part, as in my day it was apparently far more typical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: