U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2006, 12:43 AM

2 posts, read 6,933 times

Advertisements

I just graduated this december and received a job offer that im going to take in Atlanta. I am a 23 year old single male dont really know that many people in Atlanta. I was thinking about the Buckhead area because I am under the impression that it was a younger professional area. I was wondering what people thought about the area and where are good places in the area to live. More than likely I will be looking for a 1 bedroom apt. Also my Job is actually in Smyrna I was wondering how the drive there will be. My schedule will however keep me away from the normal rush hours for traffic. Thanks for your help!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 01:02 AM

51 posts, read 276,227 times
You did not mention anything about what type of work you will be doing. If you are going to work in Smyrna, you probably want to look for an apartment as close to where you are working as possible. The traffic to and from work can be awful at times, and it's much easier if you are living close to work.

Buckhead is nice. My son lives in Buckhead and enjoys it. The only reason he lives there is because it is close to his college and employment.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,933 times
I will be working at FedEx National LTL formerly known as Watkins Motor Lines. I have been to the site a few times I think that it is a little bit south of Downtown Smyrna. From what i gathered it looked to be about 20 minutes from a few apartmentsw in Buckhead. Hope that helps, really need some more input from anyone out there if possible.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:21 AM

389 posts, read 847,667 times
There are some (heavily congested) side roads (mainly paces ferry) that will take you from S. Smyrna into Buckhead. If you're at off-peak hours....it might take about 20 min. Buckhead is nice for young people.

Old 12-17-2006, 01:50 PM

426 posts, read 2,248,436 times
I believe I know where you will be working...on Oakdale Road in the South Smyrna area. In that case I would suggest you move into Vinings instead of Buckhead. Buckhead can be so congested and very expensive. The average one bedroom will cost between $800 and $1000.

Vinings is a haven for young professionals, as they make up the majority of the condo and apartment dwellwers in the area. The condos and townhomes are expensive but an apartment will only cost you $600-700 a month for a one bedroom. There are several restaurants and bars to hang out in the Vinings area and Vinings Jubilee offers some shopping options. The best part about living in Vinings is that you would only be 15-20 mintues from work with traffic(something you MUST take into mind when moving to Atlanta) and you would only be 10 mintues away from the Buckhead party scene. If you lived in Buckhead, with traffic, taking W. Paces and Paces Ferry into Cobb County, it could easily take you 35 minutes plus to get to work. And thats if you take the street way. The interstate version of the trip would be a nightmare.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:30 PM

465 posts, read 2,354,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
I believe I know where you will be working...on Oakdale Road in the South Smyrna area. In that case I would suggest you move into Vinings instead of Buckhead. Buckhead can be so congested and very expensive. The average one bedroom will cost between $800 and $1000.

Vinings is a haven for young professionals, as they make up the majority of the condo and apartment dwellwers in the area. The condos and townhomes are expensive but an apartment will only cost you $600-700 a month for a one bedroom. There are several restaurants and bars to hang out in the Vinings area and Vinings Jubilee offers some shopping options. The best part about living in Vinings is that you would only be 15-20 mintues from work with traffic(something you MUST take into mind when moving to Atlanta) and you would only be 10 mintues away from the Buckhead party scene. If you lived in Buckhead, with traffic, taking W. Paces and Paces Ferry into Cobb County, it could easily take you 35 minutes plus to get to work. And thats if you take the street way. The interstate version of the trip would be a nightmare.
If you work in Smyrna and live in Buckhead, and take 75N up to Smyrna, you'll be going against traffic if it's in the morning, and against it again, if it's in the evening. If, however, you have to travel up 75N after 3pm, forget that idea. I think you said you'll be working off peak hours anyway. If you live in Buckhead and take W. Paces ( a side street) over to Northside Drive into Smyrna/Vinings, the same rule applies. If you come out of Buckhead in the a.m. up W.Paces, you'll be against traffic, because everyone will be headed up W.Paces towards Buckhead. Living in Vinings is a good consideration, although not as lively as Buckhead, it is a young couples/young professionals part of town. I currently live in Vinings off Paces Ferry Rd. Vinings and Buckhead are pricey, but Buckhead is definetly the more expensive of the two. No matter which one you chose though, you'll be within 15-20 minutes of either, and not far from work. Don't worry about the traffic, if you work off peak hours. Just decide where you want to live, knowing that both of those are close to work, and go from there. Atlantic Station around the downtown/midtown area (and close to Buckhead) may be a consideration. It still keeps you in a 20 minute time frame to Smyrna. It's a brand new live/work community, full of young professionals. Everything's around there. You can see IKEA from your apartment window, and walk out your door and be at the Gap or a coffee shop just across the street, literally. It' a very hip, urban, attractive neighborhood. But also like Vinings and Buckhead, expensive. Basically, anything close to the city will cost you. I think Atlantic Station may be the most pricey, since it's new, but won't be a lot more than Buckhead.

Last edited by jeweloflight; 12-17-2006 at 02:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta