U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 09:10 PM

5,299 posts, read 3,517,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Thanks, JMatl! And great guesses with a couple of Pinellas County stores there, though you didn't quite land on the right ones. My parents actually met at the South Pasadena Publix nearly 60 years ago, though, so I have good reason to be thankful for Publix, and for that store especially
Aw, how cool! I was just at that Publix 3 weeks ago, on our way back to St. Pete Beach from Gulfport.

Quote:
The stores I reference are indeed in St. Pete, on the corner of 38th Avenue and 4th Street North, with the original store being located in the Northeast Shopping Center.

Two articles on the subject follow below. I thought this quote from the first one was particularly interesting:

"The stores are so close, in fact, that if a shopper finds one is out of a certain product a Publix employee will go to the other store and fetch it."

Two Publix stores win loyal customers on both sides of Fourth Street

And another quote from the second:

"Apparently the corner of Fourth Street and 38th Avenue N offers enough business to keep both stores going strong. Publix is closing the store many nicknamed 'Publixons' only to tear it down and rebuild a new Publix.

'It will not be an LA Fitness. It won't be a Walmart. It won't be another grocery chain. It will be a Publix,' said company spokesman Brian West, referring to rumors swirling around the location."

Publix to rebuild St. Petersburg's Fourth Street store
Wow! How interesting, but not surprising that there's enough business for both. That's a great area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 02:38 AM

6,180 posts, read 5,560,404 times
The announcement that IKEA is putting a second store in the Atlanta area on Franklin Gateway (formerly Franklin Road) in Marietta and Cobb County only about 12 miles away from its existing store in Midtown at Atlantic Station certainly is surprising.

I'm guessing that IKEA is attracted to the Franklin Gateway corridor in Marietta and Cobb County because of recent high-profile moves into Cobb County by both the Atlanta Braves (at SunTrust Park) and the Atlanta United (whose headquarters and training facility literally is only like 1-2 blocks away from the site of the new Marietta/Cobb County IKEA)?

Old 12-21-2017, 04:45 AM

8,328 posts, read 10,278,610 times
It kind of makes sense if you think about it because there are a ton of apartments in that area.

As anybody who has bought IKEA furniture knows, its quality is questionable. The thing that makes IKEA great is that it's designed to easily fit into apartments and condos. Everything it sells can pretty much go in an elevator and be carted into any sized unit without oversized doorways.

Somewhere in Alpharetta or Roswell on GA 400 would be the ideal location for IKEA because the it's easily accessible to people in Cobb, North Fulton and Gwinnett (I live in Gwinnett, and it's easier for me to get to midtown than Marietta). BUT...I bet IKEA knows that people who live in North Fulton and East Cobb want and can afford better quality products than the ones it sells.

That's not a knock on IKEA. It's products are perfect for the people it targets. They just aren't for people who are looking for furniture that will last more than a few years or people that don't have the constraints of multifamily living like elevators, tight corners in corridors, etc.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:37 AM

2,009 posts, read 2,146,880 times
I think there is another reason that Marietta was chosen. Marietta is only about 1.5 hours from another large city, Chattanooga which is north along I-75 1.5 hours is probably just barely close enough to draw customers from Chattanooga who would probably make a day trip picking up furniture and driving it back home.

No such similar large city sits atop I-85.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:58 AM

5,243 posts, read 4,642,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I think there is another reason that Marietta was chosen. Marietta is only about 1.5 hours from another large city, Chattanooga which is north along I-75 1.5 hours is probably just barely close enough to draw customers from Chattanooga who would probably make a day trip picking up furniture and driving it back home.

No such similar large city sits atop I-85.
That's probably it. But it still doesn't make a lot of sense considering it's not much further to go into the city from there. You've already hit the bad traffic, you're not avoiding the ill effects of the city at Franklin Gateway. That would make more sense if it was up in Kennesaw, but less here as it is so close to 285.

I wonder if we will see other Ikea announcements and this will end up looking more balanced.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:02 AM

6,416 posts, read 4,837,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl1221 View Post
IKEA is coming to Cobb County | WSB-TV

Interesting choice by IKEA...will be very interesting to see how this spurs growth / development in the area.
Great for Cobb County.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:13 AM

1,181 posts, read 1,768,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It kind of makes sense if you think about it because there are a ton of apartments in that area.

As anybody who has bought IKEA furniture knows, its quality is questionable. The thing that makes IKEA great is that it's designed to easily fit into apartments and condos. Everything it sells can pretty much go in an elevator and be carted into any sized unit without oversized doorways.
I hear that a lot, but so far, the Ikea things I've gotten have lasted (I think the trick is to assemble things correctly, since there are lots of steps that aren't clearly explained). I could buy Ikea things multiple times over compared to what I could get elsewhere, but so far I haven't had to.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:16 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,983,309 times
I'm not sure that I follow why Ikea chose there and not some place farther from their existing location, but at least I have another close option since I will be between them.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:23 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,676,714 times
I have to admit that I saw this coming.

I was in there a month or so ago to buy a large chair. The guy asked me to wait near the checkout line while they checked their inventory. It was a long line at checkout and when they asked the customers their zip codes, they were almost all from Cobb county. The zip codes were foreign to me, so I googled them as I overheard them. I would say (at least that day) 9 in 10 customers were from some part of Cobb County.

Then, when I left the store, I noticed many of the vehicles in the parking lot had Cobb county tags.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:25 AM

8,328 posts, read 10,278,610 times
Quote:
I hear that a lot, but so far, the Ikea things I've gotten have lasted (I think the trick is to assemble things correctly, since there are lots of steps that aren't clearly explained).
Maybe they've upped their game in the past few years.

I have a piece of furniture from IKEA where the fake wood veneer is peeling right off the particle board it is stuck to. Nothing to do with how it was put together by me, just weak glue used at the factory. But I certainly do see how putting together IKEA furniture improperly would make it last a shorter amount of time.

I have other pieces that are actually holding up decently well, though...so I suppose it's just a question of varying mileage.

My wife won't let me buy any more furniture from IKEA because she thinks it looks too basic and it's obvious to anyone who sees it that it came from IKEA. I can't really argue, she's got a good point. But I still think it's perfect for what it is, pretty decent furniture considering the price point. Great for college kids, young adults starting out, and people who don't put a lot of daily use on their furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or