U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 07:28 AM

494 posts, read 254,357 times

Advertisements

This is exciting for Cobb County definitely. This will be a short 5-7 min drive for me now compared with going into Atlantic Station. I am also excited for what additional businesses will come to Franklin Road now with the IKEA and ATL UTD HQ all within close proximity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 07:28 AM

1,181 posts, read 1,767,029 times
I've recently bought an electric screwdriver and I think that helps a lot making the assembly secure. I would not advise getting everything from Ikea, but you can make it work if you pair for example, an Ikea dining table with chairs from another store, etc.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:04 AM

23,381 posts, read 17,555,378 times
Do y'all think incentives from Cobb Co and/or Marietta influenced the location?

Old 12-21-2017, 12:15 PM

1,025 posts, read 579,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The thing is, considering the "IKEA market," most of Cobb County and the NW corridor are already convenient to the Midtown/Atlantic Station store. The Midtown/AS location is not convenient to the Northeast suburbs, eastern suburbs, and southern suburbs.
The existing store is at the Brookwood split, it is equally accessible from I85 as it is from I75, if a slightly longer distance from the NE perimeter then the NW.

IKEA was probably drawn to this location because the North to NW suburbs are growing faster then the North to NE. Especially within Ikea's target demographic.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:05 PM

29,361 posts, read 26,311,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
I hear that a lot, but so far, the Ikea things I've gotten have lasted (I think the trick is to assemble things correctly, since there are lots of steps that aren't clearly explained). I could buy Ikea things multiple times over compared to what I could get elsewhere, but so far I haven't had to.
I just spent this morning putting together an IKEA computer desk. I am using it as a workstation in my studio and it is great.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:46 PM

6,333 posts, read 3,417,050 times
Most of the stuff I've gotten over the years at IKEA has been great quality and lasted a long time, and a good value. A few things were not. You just kinda have to get the right stuff.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:50 PM

13,577 posts, read 22,026,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
The existing store is at the Brookwood split, it is equally accessible from I85 as it is from I75, if a slightly longer distance from the NE perimeter then the NW.

IKEA was probably drawn to this location because the North to NW suburbs are growing faster then the North to NE. Especially within Ikea's target demographic.

Smart shoppers from Cobb would hit IKEA from Northside Drive--much, much easier than anything coming from I-85.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:58 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,637,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Smart shoppers from Cobb would hit IKEA from Northside Drive--much, much easier than anything coming from I-85.
Right, it's not an equal drive at all, in time and stress. I think incentives may very likely have something to do with it.

In regards to their quality, the misses and I did a lot of research on a couch recently. Ikea far and away was the best value. I don't think you can beat their quality until you get above 3k for a couch and even then it's questionable.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:05 PM

6,333 posts, read 3,417,050 times
I live in Cobb, and it's downright a cinch to get to the existing IKEA. It's literally 3 exits down on I-75. That's why this is kind of strange that there's now going to be an IKEA even closer to me, just a couple miles up 41 off Franklin.

This news is of no help to my folks up in Lawrenceville. I mentioned this news to my Mom yesterday and then I suddenly felt awful about it. She loves IKEA, but it's so far for them.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:19 PM

13,577 posts, read 22,026,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Right, it's not an equal drive at all, in time and stress. I think incentives may very likely have something to do with it.

In regards to their quality, the misses and I did a lot of research on a couch recently. Ikea far and away was the best value. I don't think you can beat their quality until you get above 3k for a couch and even then it's questionable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I live in Cobb, and it's downright a cinch to get to the existing IKEA. It's literally 3 exits down on I-75. That's why this is kind of strange that there's now going to be an IKEA even closer to me, just a couple miles up 41 off Franklin.

This news is of no help to my folks up in Lawrenceville. I mentioned this news to my Mom yesterday and then I suddenly felt awful about it. She loves IKEA, but it's so far for them.
Exactly. Good point.

I'm sure IKEA has their research and reasons for choosing Franklin Gateway. Maybe incentives were provided by Cobb and/or the City of Marietta.

However, like I said in an earlier post, the best place for a second IKEA in Metro Atlanta still stands:

A location in Duluth at Gwinnett Place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or