Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 04:33 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,167,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Exactly. Good point.

I'm sure IKEA has their research and reasons for choosing Franklin Gateway. Maybe incentives were provided by Cobb and/or the City of Marietta.

However, like I said in an earlier post, the best place for a second IKEA in Metro Atlanta still stands:

A location in Duluth at Gwinnett Place.
Even as a Cobb resident, I totally agree. Next to that Fry's up there at Gwinnett Place would have been a game-changer for Gwinnett. Heck, it could have replaced some of the massive mall parking lots, which god knows are not needed anymore. Could have been a revitalizer for that mall.

But I guess we just plain won the deal, for whatever behind the scenes reasons.

Marietta has got it going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 04:36 PM

23,302 posts, read 43,751,651 times
The close proximity of the two stores does seem peculiar, not to mention unprecedented. I can't find any other metro where this is the case; although there are several metros with more than one IKEA, they're all pretty far-flung location-wise. I'm thinking that Duluth, McDonough or Fayetteville would have been a more prudent choice, but I guess they've done their homework.

https://m.ikea.com/us/en/stores/

Old 12-21-2017, 05:03 PM

16 posts, read 15,305 times
Is it possible that IKEA is thinking about closing the Atlantic Station store in a few years and selling land to a developer? It's potentially an exceptional spot for a couple of 20 story condo/apartment towers. Atlantic Station, whatever problems it may have initially had, is an area that has a great future, both as a business center and as a community. It may not make sense for an IKEA to be located there a few years down the road. Perhaps the Cobb IKEA will be followed up by a Gwinnett location, and then the closing of the Atlantic Station location.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:13 PM

23,302 posts, read 43,751,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInMidtown View Post
Is it possible that IKEA is thinking about closing the Atlantic Station store in a few years and selling land to a developer? It's potentially an exceptional spot for a couple of 20 story condo/apartment towers. Atlantic Station, whatever problems it may have initially had, is an area that has a great future, both as a business center and as a community. It may not make sense for an IKEA to be located there a few years down the road. Perhaps the Cobb IKEA will be followed up by a Gwinnett location, and then the closing of the Atlantic Station location.
Hadn't thought of that, but it sounds entirely plausible.
Sounds like Walmart's "Scorched Earth" policy.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:39 PM

994 posts, read 1,531,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInMidtown View Post
Now this makes the most sense yet.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:07 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,245,122 times
12 miles is pretty close, but there are two stores in Philadelphia only about 20 miles apart, and three in the DMV that are each 40 miles from each other. This is closer than those but I could see them both staying open.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:10 PM

616 posts, read 544,646 times
According to the City of Marietta, no tax breaks or abatements were provided either.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:22 PM

10,331 posts, read 11,314,284 times
"Marietta releases renderings of Franklin Gateway" (The Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

Marietta releases renderings of Franklin Gateway Ikea

Old 12-21-2017, 10:48 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,167,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
"Marietta releases renderings of Franklin Gateway" (The Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

Marietta releases renderings of Franklin Gateway Ikea
They need to get rid of the junky shopping center out front of this property:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9287...7i13312!8i6656

Gonna be a terrible contrast if they don't.

Across the street is the nice new athletic center, so that's good.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:01 AM

10,331 posts, read 11,314,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
They need to get rid of the junky shopping center out front of this property:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9287...7i13312!8i6656

Gonna be a terrible contrast if they don't.

Across the street is the nice new athletic center, so that's good.
The aerial rendering of the new Ikea development seems to indicate that the existing shopping center is going to be torn down and replaced with a front overflow parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta