U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 07:47 AM

8,625 posts, read 10,686,067 times

Advertisements

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I happen to think you're giving PCM way too much credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 07:48 AM

4,011 posts, read 2,638,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm sorry (and I respectfully dispute) but I just have no idea as to how anyone can say Atlanta has better food than Chicago or New York. Both of those cities have amazing Pizza, Hot Dogs, Itallian Beef, Italian food, don't get me wrong we have alot of restaurants but I havent really ever found a food identity in Atlanta with the closest thing being southern homestyle cooking and BBQ.
Lemon pepper wings>>>>hot dogs
Collard greens>>>>pizza

Atlanta identity is soul food and Lemon pepper wings. Atlanta is not a pizza city just like NYC or Chicago aren't soul food and Lemon pepper wing cities

Old 12-21-2017, 07:52 AM

4,011 posts, read 2,638,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I happen to think you're giving PCM way too much credit.
Maybe but the average visitor appreciates it more than the average local. It's just certain things a city that wants to be a real city someday need and that is a large food hall. It's a good starting point.

Only thing we really missing is real transit OTP. We aren't a real city yet but developments like PCM will get us there soon

Old 12-21-2017, 09:21 AM

1,247 posts, read 1,469,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Those are good points, but it was the local television outlet, 11 Alive, that used the term "beating out" in reference to Atlanta's position (on this list) amongst the culinary scenes in other major cities like NYC, San Francisco and Nashville.

The Zagat publication itself that published the list used language in describing the list that seemed to be aimed much more at recognizing and promoting (in brief) the accomplishments of various urban and metropolitan culinary scenes around the country than at pitting those various urban scenes in a state of competition against each other.

11 Alive was just engaging in a bit of prideful local civic self-promotion with its more competitive language in reporting Atlanta's high placement on this year's list.

...Which there is nothing wrong with a local news outlet like 11 Alive reporting a positive story about Atlanta receiving positive national recognition with a tone of pride and local civic self-promotion.

While Atlanta obviously is not a New York, Chicago, San Francisco or L.A. when it comes to the strength and establishment of its culinary scene, Atlanta has been known for years to have a good and rising culinary scene that has room to continue to grow, expand, improve and mature while forming a national identity.

The Zagat list really does not even scratch the surface when it comes to recognizing the culinary experiences that Atlanta and most other cities on the list have to offer.

But the Zagat list does shine a bright light on the rising culinary scene of a growing and maturing city/metro like Atlanta.

Despite the negativity surrounding some unfortunate events of recent days and weeks, Atlanta is still a major city/metro of international importance (the nation's 9th-largest metro area and the site of the world's busiest airport) that is going to be recognized for its positive achievements just like it (and every other metro area) is going to be recognized when it makes missteps.

Major city/metros like NYC, SF, Chicago and LA are already "there" with their established culinary scenes, but Atlanta clearly is on the way "there" and should be and will be recognized as such.

Everybody knows that Atlanta is not NYC, SF, Chicago and/or LA when it comes to dining. But Atlanta's culinary scene is rising, growing and coming into its own as a nationally-recognized culinary scene and that's not at all a bad thing.
Fair enough.

Quote:
I'm sorry (and I respectfully dispute) but I just have no idea as to how anyone can say Atlanta has better food than Chicago or New York. Both of those cities have amazing Pizza, Hot Dogs, Itallian Beef, Italian food, don't get me wrong we have alot of restaurants but I havent really ever found a food identity in Atlanta with the closest thing being southern homestyle cooking and BBQ.

One thing I really wish we had here is Chicago style Pizza, and I'm not talking about Nancy's, I mean Gino's or Uno's.
Nancy's Chicago Pizza, my friend, hits the spot! It's my understanding that they're going to open a third location here. If there has always been three, please correct me.

I do prefer a corrnmeal crust. Therefore, I'm a Gino's East fan!

Old 12-21-2017, 10:40 AM

5,647 posts, read 3,783,610 times
Quote:
I'm sorry (and I respectfully dispute) but I just have no idea as to how anyone can say Atlanta has better food than Chicago or New York.
Nobody has said this.

Quote:
One thing I really wish we had here is Chicago style Pizza, and I'm not talking about Nancy's, I mean Gino's or Uno's.
Flights to Midway & O'Hare are cheap.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:47 AM

3,210 posts, read 1,266,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Nobody has said this.

Flights to Midway & O'Hare are cheap.
Actually Uno's can be had in Lexington S.C. - Its about 3.5 hours drive east of here on I-20 and worth every penny of it too... One thing I find extremely odd is they used to also be in Charlotte NC (they had about 3 locations there and they all closed up yet the one in Lexington S.C. is present.) .. how could they survive in Lexington S.C. and not Charlotte... or Atlanta... Uno's can also be found in Orlando FL on International Drive, SR50 and US127...

As for Nancy's, Nancy's is nice don't get me wrong but.. it doesnt seem to have quite the Gino's taste.. but is still better than no Chicago Pizza..but between the two I love Gino's... I still am clueless as to why Atlanta doesn't have an Uno's atleast though.. I would have thought a place like Uno's would survive quite easily here.

As for lemon pepper wings, its not my thing. I like mild wings a bit more but Im not really into wings..

..one thing I did learn recently though is that Georgia is the chicken capital of the nation... I even learned we have a chicken farm in Norcross.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-21-2017 at 11:10 AM..

Old 12-21-2017, 11:46 AM

23,125 posts, read 35,935,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Keep in mind that this is not a competition between cities.

This list was published with the intent of recognizing the culinary achievements that are taking place in different cities' dining scenes all over the U.S. This list is basically promoting food tourism on a certain level.

With that said, being recognized as the 9th-most exciting city for dining on a list of the top-30 cities for dining is not a bad thing at all.

Being ranked #9 on a list of top-30 cities for dining means that Atlanta's stock as a dining and culinary scene is rising and headed in a positive direction with room for further growth and achievement.

It may not be perfect, but it definitely is something that is positive and exciting that is worth celebrating by visiting one of Atlanta's many high-quality standout dining establishments and exciting culinary events.
Yes, this, and the ranking is well deserved. It's time our culinary community was acknowledged by an authority as venerable as Zagat, especially since so many posters from without the area continue to diminish its reputation in this arena.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:17 PM
bu2

10,559 posts, read 6,889,927 times
Quote:

This is just a "new restaurants this year" list, not a comparison of the dining scene overall. No city in the country is in the same league overall with New York City or Chicago.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:21 PM
bu2

10,559 posts, read 6,889,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Maybe but the average visitor appreciates it more than the average local. It's just certain things a city that wants to be a real city someday need and that is a large food hall. It's a good starting point.

Only thing we really missing is real transit OTP. We aren't a real city yet but developments like PCM will get us there soon
Every city has mall food courts. PCM and Krog St. are just glorified mall food courts. A little cooler and more upscale stuff, but ultimately, that is what it is.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:31 PM

23,125 posts, read 35,935,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Every city has mall food courts. PCM and Krog St. are just glorified mall food courts. A little cooler and more upscale stuff, but ultimately, that is what it is.
So what? I'll embrace any concept of food retailing as long as it's done with a measure of class. PCM and Krog St. have certainly accomplished that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta