Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 11:35 AM

654 posts, read 526,605 times

Advertisements

People, the page clearly states a minimum population of 30k. Did anyone even bother to open it before making judgments?

There aren't really that many cities outside the metro which meet the 30k min.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 11:44 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
It's not meaningless when people who buy houses look to such rankings when making real estate decisions.
Useless, I mean. Incomplete/misleading data. Having a list like this implies (especially to newcomers from out of state), that these are the safest/lowest crime areas. When they are most definitely not.

Should be a zip code list.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:01 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
People, the page clearly states a minimum population of 30k. Did anyone even bother to open it before making judgments?

There aren't really that many cities outside the metro which meet the 30k min.
Actually, of the 30 largest cities in the state, 14 — or almost half — are outside Metro Atlanta:

Augusta
Columbus
Macon
Savannah
Athens
Albany
Warner Robins
Valdosta
Rome
Gainesville
Hinesville
Dalton
Statesboro
Lagrange

Old 01-01-2018, 08:13 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Useless, I mean. Incomplete/misleading data. Having a list like this implies (especially to newcomers from out of state), that these are the safest/lowest crime areas. When they are most definitely not.

Should be a zip code list.
Except zip code lists aren't any better. One bad section of an otherwise very desirable 90 square mile zip code (the average land size), can throw off what are otherwise pretty safe numbers.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:16 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Actually, of the 30 largest cities in the state, 14 — or almost half — are outside Metro Atlanta:

Augusta
Columbus
Macon
Savannah
Athens
Albany
Warner Robins
Valdosta
Rome
Gainesville
Hinesville
Dalton
Statesboro
Lagrange
What is the real story on personal safety in these other cities around the state?

For years Atalanta had the reputation of being big, bad and scary, but more recently I got the impression that there were crime issues in some of the smaller cites as well.

Where does the truth lie? You probably have to look at it on the micro level. Most parts of the ATL are very safe and I'd imagine a similar situation obtains elsewhere.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Except zip code lists aren't any better. One bad section of an otherwise very desirable 90 square mile zip code (the average land size), can throw off what are otherwise pretty safe numbers.
But still, that will paint a more accurate picture in this case, because everywhere is part of a zip code. Only some of Georgia and Metro Atlanta are located in a municipality. Maybe half or so. Like I live in a low-crime community inside 285, that would be suddenly very high on this list just for the technicality of becoming incorporated. We'd certainly be above Sandy Springs and Brookhaven.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:37 AM

654 posts, read 526,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
But still, that will paint a more accurate picture in this case, because everywhere is part of a zip code. Only some of Georgia and Metro Atlanta are located in a municipality. Maybe half or so. Like I live in a low-crime community inside 285, that would be suddenly very high on this list just for the technicality of becoming incorporated. We'd certainly be above Sandy Springs and Brookhaven.
So basically you are whining because your area, which isn't part of a city, doesn't get any credit on a list of safest cities? Sounds like your ego is getting the better of you.

Any geographical separation will have drawbacks. The authors clearly state the parameters and leave it up to the reader to make any judgements. If you think there is a better way to present the data, visit the fbi database and make your own website. But your comments make your bias crystal clear - your entire desire is have confirmation of your choices.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
So basically you are whining because your area, which isn't part of a city, doesn't get any credit on a list of safest cities? Sounds like your ego is getting the better of you.

Any geographical separation will have drawbacks. The authors clearly state the parameters and leave it up to the reader to make any judgements. If you think there is a better way to present the data, visit the fbi database and make your own website. But your comments make your bias crystal clear - your entire desire is have confirmation of your choices.
No, I was just using that as an example. I could have used East Cobb. Or wherever else. The only thing that's clear is that you still don't understand my point. But whatever.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:38 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What is the real story on personal safety in these other cities around the state?

For years Atalanta had the reputation of being big, bad and scary, but more recently I got the impression that there were crime issues in some of the smaller cites as well.

Where does the truth lie? You probably have to look at it on the micro level. Most parts of the ATL are very safe and I'd imagine a similar situation obtains elsewhere.
These crime and safety rankings must always be taken with a grain of salt and a jaundiced eye. People who embrace this stuff as gospel almost always have an agenda or axe to grind.

Just two examples on extreme opposites: While Peachtree City is touted as the state’s “safest city,” it has experienced a sharp uptick in property crimes like vandalism and entering autos this year, and lately has even seen a few armed robberies — previously something unheard of. Though minor, these have caused great alarm among people living in “the bubble.”

Savannah, on the other hand, has a reputation for extreme violent crime, but the truth remains that if you’re not in a gang or going to purchase drugs in bad neighborhoods at 2 am it really doesn’t affect you. Of the millions of tourists who visit Savannah’s historic district every year, few if any will ever be the victim of a crime or even witness a crime. And some areas of Savannah, especially the affluent island neighborhoods, have less crime than even Peachtree City. But the perception of Savannah crime being “out of control” is stil there, among those who embrace such an opinion for whatever reason that suits them.

Last edited by Newsboy; 01-01-2018 at 12:13 PM..

Old 01-03-2018, 07:10 AM

47 posts, read 75,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
These crime and safety rankings must always be taken with a grain of salt and a jaundiced eye. People who embrace this stuff as gospel almost always have an agenda or axe to grind.

Just two examples on extreme opposites: While Peachtree City is touted as the state’s “safest city,” it has experienced a sharp uptick in property crimes like vandalism and entering autos this year, and lately has even seen a few armed robberies — previously something unheard of. Though minor, these have caused great alarm among people living in “the bubble.”

Savannah, on the other hand, has a reputation for extreme violent crime, but the truth remains that if you’re not in a gang or going to purchase drugs in bad neighborhoods at 2 am it really doesn’t affect you. Of the millions of tourists who visit Savannah’s historic district every year, few if any will ever be the victim of a crime or even witness a crime. And some areas of Savannah, especially the affluent island neighborhoods, have less crime than even Peachtree City. But the perception of Savannah crime being “out of control” is stil there, among those who embrace such an opinion for whatever reason that suits them.

Well, I agree that any ranking report should be taken with caution. For instance, the college ranking report, let say, by US News & World Report is open to controversy because of its methodology for the rankings (i.e. because it includes some subjective "reputation" factor). But it is also true that its college ranking report is widely read among parents and students because it can serve as the basic guideline for the college admission. Turning to the safest cities ranking report, I believe that it is more reliable because of its methodology: it is totally based on the objective FBI crime data. Newsboy tries to counteract the ranking report with his personal opinion and spotty observation of the local newspapers. Newsboy also makes it a point that people who take the safest cities report "almost always have an agenda or axe to grind." This is kind of insulting to people or any organization that want to share this useful information with those who look for the basic guideline for the moving into Georgia cities. Personally I am the one who benefited from such ranking info as Safest cities and Best Place to Live when I moved from California to Georgia years ago.

Study: This is the safest city in Georgia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta