U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 11:14 AM

22,794 posts, read 34,834,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Also, Jim Sanders was the go-to guy for fine wines in Atlanta in the old days.

I also like little hole-in-the-wall bars like Oscar's. I have had a drink in there serveral times while waiting for things at the laundromat next door.

Can little places like that make it in big time mixed use developments?
I think rents are the obvious impediment here. So, no, I don't think an upscale mixed-use development is going to be amenable to what are essentially small-scale, mom and pop (or should I say pop and pop?) operations like these bars.
Aries posed this question earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
If those five gay bars were to relocate, where do you think they would go? Or, what do you think would happen to them?
Honestly, I don't have a clue; certainly nowhere intown. Look at the traditional haunts for gay-oriented businesses: Midtown, Ansley and Cheshire Bridge. Everything in those neighborhoods is in play, and rents are skyrocketing. A lot of these bar owners depend on keeping rents (and drink prices) relatively low.
Probably their best bet for relocation is to find marginal neighborhoods that are relatively close in, like South Atlanta or the Buford Corridor. And who knows how long that they will remain affordable?
I recalled this old thread while I was writing. Not a bad suggestion, really.

Stone Mountain area

You should visit the Historic Downtown Stone Mountain area yourself. The area code is 30083 and it's a hidden gem for safety and recreation. The small area is governed by local police who even have a free home check program for when you're away. Many people get this area confused with the greater Stone Mountain area which is not really safe. Just google Stone Mountain Village and call the visitor's center. The rents and housing prices are extremely reasonable. For safety, you have to look in the areas in the Historic section only... the numbered streets off of Main Street going towards the Stone Mountain Park. The area is also LGBT friendly with many establishments on James B. Rivers:

https://thegavoice.com/next-georgia-...tone-mountain/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 11:50 AM

5,253 posts, read 4,004,392 times
Wait a minute...$100 MILLION for 3 acres of park? I didn't catch that earlier. Atlanta seriously has much better things to spend that much money on.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:20 PM

29,247 posts, read 26,183,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Honestly, I don't have a clue; certainly nowhere intown. Look at the traditional haunts for gay-oriented businesses: Midtown, Ansley and Cheshire Bridge. Everything in those neighborhoods is in play, and rents are skyrocketing. A lot of these bar owners depend on keeping rents (and drink prices) relatively low.
Downtown Tucker would also be a great location. Very walkable and accessible and it seems like there are a zillion gay people living out that way these days. They've got a lively little bar and restaurant scene -- as well as an analogue to the Colonnade.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:26 PM

5,169 posts, read 3,448,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Wait a minute...$100 MILLION for 3 acres of park? I didn't catch that earlier. Atlanta seriously has much better things to spend that much money on.
It's actually 13.8 acres. What you are referencing is just the 3.5 acre portion at the corner of Monroe & Piedmont.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:32 PM

2,373 posts, read 3,725,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
As I understand it, Atlanta is only contributing $20 million, the other $80 million is coming from private/public contributors

Old 12-30-2017, 12:45 PM

5,169 posts, read 3,448,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
As I understand it, Atlanta is only contributing $20 million, the other $80 million is coming from private/public contributors
Besides, great Cities invest in quality of life improvements. It's what separates us from lesser places.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, and that figure also includes redevelopment costs, I believe.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:23 PM

5,409 posts, read 3,808,034 times
Very interesting.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:16 PM

2,373 posts, read 3,725,525 times
They also noted that property values are only increasing in the area. The time was now to make the investment or never as it would only become more expensive

Old 12-30-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
They also noted that property values are only increasing in the area. The time was now to make the investment or never as it would only become more expensive
Which makes total sense.
I've been wishing that corner would become a capstone on the park for some time. By making it happen, Mayor Reed has earned major respect points from me this week.
Keep in mind that this will also take ABG to a whole new level as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or