Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 07:08 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,751,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
modcut

I'm watching the news, and several things led to last nights situation. There were two separate medical emergencies at different stations, that backed everything up. Two trains were halted when passengers pulled the emergency stop lever, that backed things up even more. Many people were leaning against the doors, which stops the train. I suspect that many were first time riders as well.

They will learn from last night and correct things they are able to.

I'm a frequent rider to and from the Airport from Brookhaven, and never have any issues. I also commuted Downtown for years, and had very few then as well. We are very fortunate to have MARTA, and they aren't going anywhere.
Real city issues. You can tell most people in Atlanta don't experience real cities too much by the post on here. They expected everything to always be perfect everywhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 07:15 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Real city issues. You can tell most people in Atlanta don't experience real cities too much by the post on here. They expected everything to always be perfect everywhere
Exactly

Old 01-10-2018, 11:08 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Yeah, I've never heard New Yorkers complain about significant delays and service issues on the subway...

Old 01-10-2018, 03:56 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
I imagine lyft and uber may have something to with that as. I use lyft rarely but it cost me $3.50 to get to work using the lyft line while a MARTA fare is $2.50. It is quicker and door to door.
That's it I'm sure. It's hitting all of the major cities too. I just returned from a trip up to NYC. A ton of my friends and family have either greatly reduced or stopped taking the subway all together in favor of ridesharing. It's always been a NYC thing to rideshare (taxis and gypsy vans in the days before their modern variants) but now it's affordable and not sketch like a gypsy van.

NYC is also seeing it's transit usage numbers dip for this reason, but they are also having a lot more serious problems with transit. Because of all the traffic from ridersharing (an estimated 100,000 new cars on the road in the last few years) and it's already horrible traffic, the subway is basically falling apart (it has been for years, but now it is accelerating) and they are facing a major crisis.

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/12/20/168...fic-2018-video

Old 01-11-2018, 10:19 AM

1,180 posts, read 983,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Yeah, I've never heard New Yorkers complain about significant delays and service issues on the subway...
Perhaps because it's the norm? Tokyo spoiled me but I've reset my expectations back to American.

MARTA is how I get around daily and I've experienced less delays than would be had by driving I imagine.
A MARTA train delay is easily solved for me by catching a bus or lyft. Being stuck in traffic....no option but to remain in traffic if no alternate route is available.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:29 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
Perhaps because it's the norm? Tokyo spoiled me but I've reset my expectations back to American.

MARTA is how I get around daily and I've experienced less delays than would be had by driving I imagine.
A MARTA train delay is easily solved for me by catching a bus or lyft. Being stuck in traffic....no option but to remain in traffic if no alternate route is available.
Tokyo spoiled me too. I guess Atlanta is not the only city in America that has delays with its trains?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta