Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 06:46 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if a thread has been done on this. I want to ask if and I must because maybe I don't have enough traveling experience. Has anyone encountered the level of loitering in any other major U.S. city like we have at Five Points? I have seen a lot of men especially just sitting around not doing anything. I used to think people were afraid to come to Five Points because they are scared of black people but now I don't know. You have people around that station making fun of passerby's and some of the men walking up to women as if they know them all in their personal space. I wouldn't feel safe if someone I didn't know just walked up in my face either.

In my experience, I have never seen the level of loitering I do at Five Points (I want to say it's other stations too but none as bad as Five Points). When I was up north, people had things to do and so did not have time to be sitting around doing nothing. It's crazy that people can be allowed to just hang around causing trouble. I look at the students and feel hopeful. It's so embarrassing having human beings like that around. No wonder so many get off at Peachtree (and no, I don't think all of them have classes at Aderhold)!

I tend to think of The Borg. If they were to assimilate Earth, they would regret assimilating them and perhaps purge them from the collective. "Resistance is futile but ____ you're useless."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 06:57 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
It's pretty pathetic TBH. I remember seeing a similar situation in Baltimore...but that's Baltimore.

It will get better once the Underground and Newport developments happen. I'm shedding no tears about gentrification's displacement effect here. The center of our city should not look like a poorly aged strip mall in the middle of a ghetto. There's so much of that already and it has no business in what should be the core of our CBD.

But until then, accepting vagrancy in that area is just the name of the game.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:22 PM

Thanks for sharing that. I never thought I would say it and I'm afraid to write it but when you said gentrification taking place there, a part of me felt relief. That's a good point what you said about it looking like a poorly aged strip mall. You know...until a friend took me to underground ages ago, I didn't even know it existed. I thought Underground was just the area near to Five Points, not an actual place that is underground. As for the shops all around...maybe it's me trying to hurry up and leave the five points area but I don't really notice people shopping in the nearby stores. It's like a ghost town but the station is pretty lively though with people loitering and other people screaming at the top of their lungs with bible in hand. It's a wonder how those shops stay open.

I can't wait until things change. I'm pretty sure many many students will rejoice.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:23 PM

821 posts, read 725,639 times
I remember when I was at GSU and seeing all those weirdos, had me sketched out. Gentrification is a beautiful thing, cant come fast enough.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:28 PM

31 posts, read 28,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I used to think people were afraid to come to Five Points because they are scared of black people but now I don't know.
lol, sigh...

Old 01-10-2018, 07:29 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I tend to think of The Borg. If they were to assimilate Earth, they would regret assimilating them and perhaps purge them from the collective. "Resistance is futile but ____ you're useless."
Love the Trek reference!

Old 01-10-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Love the Trek reference!

Gotta look out for my Star Trek people!!! Live long and prosper

Old 01-10-2018, 11:40 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
So...what's the solution? Where should they go? Get a job, something like that?

Old 01-11-2018, 12:47 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
So...what's the solution? Where should they go? Get a job, something like that?
We need mental health facilities to get some of these people help.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:58 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Maybe a revamp of the legal system that prevents able body people from working would help. What is a person supposed to do if a crime prevents them from employment and decent job. Yeah their begging sucks, but what is a person suppose to do when life seem utterly hopeless because of a unmercifully system that penalize so call unacceptable behavior. Its so much deeper than someone begging for change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta