Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 05:21 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,810,372 times

Advertisements

This looks good. Safety comes first. Suicide lanes don't work. Trying to cram as many cars onto a road doesn't work.

If you need to speed through this area go a mile south and take I-20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 06:03 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,320,005 times
I probably missed this, but over what time period were these three deaths?

Old 01-12-2018, 06:53 PM

31,994 posts, read 36,548,100 times
If somebody proposed re-striping Peachtree in Buckhead without including bike lanes -- especially on the theory that the road is too narrow and/or that cyclists can ride more safely on nearby residential streets -- people would be doing backflips. You'd never hear the last of it.

But it's fine in other parts of town.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:56 PM

7,343 posts, read 6,477,294 times
I think Arjay's on to something. You didn't say or really imply this, but "other parts of town" is the key here. The people that will be negatively affected by this, have neither the clout nor the lawyers to fight this like they do up in Buckhead.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:00 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,815,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I probably missed this, but over what time period were these three deaths?
Calander 2017. Two were the same incident, when a guy running from the cops crossed Into oncoming traffic and hit a mother with her kid in the backseat head on, killing both drivers. The other was a pedestrian fatality.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:04 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,660,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If somebody proposed re-striping Peachtree in Buckhead without including bike lanes -- especially on the theory that the road is too narrow and/or that cyclists can ride more safely on nearby residential streets -- people would be doing backflips. You'd never hear the last of it.

But it's fine in other parts of town.
The difference, of course, being that Peachtree was wide enough for two travel lanes in either direction, a center turn lane, *and* bike lanes. Maintaining a third lane in a single direction didn't add anything, yet locals forced GDOT to change well laid-plans for something that was unnecessary.

Memorial doesn't have that kind of room. GDOT is doing what it can with what is there, and people respecting that.

You're twisting scenarios to try and force a narrative that simply isn't there.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:29 AM

31,994 posts, read 36,548,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
The difference, of course, being that Peachtree was wide enough for two travel lanes in either direction, a center turn lane, *and* bike lanes. Maintaining a third lane in a single direction didn't add anything, yet locals forced GDOT to change well laid-plans for something that was unnecessary.

Memorial doesn't have that kind of room. GDOT is doing what it can with what is there, and people respecting that.

You're twisting scenarios to try and force a narrative that simply isn't there.
The problem they had with that little stretch up in Buckhead were twofold:

(1) there are no bike lanes on Peachtree in Midtown to connect with on the south (as there are in Buckhead on the north). Riders heading toward Midtown would suddenly hit a brick wall where there are no bike lanes.

(2) there were serious concerns about the safety of cyclists on an extremely busy stretch of road like this. Do we want bicyclists pedaling along a 4' painted strip immediately adjacent to an arterial road carrying 40,000 trucks, cars and buses a day?

Bear in mind there weren't any lawyers involved -- it was just several hundred regular folks turning out for public meetings. Some of them were okay with bike lanes, but the majority believed that cyclists would be safer taking the parallel route on the Beltline/residential streets.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:04 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,320,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Calander 2017. Two were the same incident, when a guy running from the cops crossed Into oncoming traffic and hit a mother with her kid in the backseat head on, killing both drivers. The other was a pedestrian fatality.
Wait, wait, wait...you're counting a guy running from cops at a high rate of speed as a design flaw in the road?!?! No change in the road will fix that, short of putting a concrete barrier down the middle of it.

Is there a link regarding the pedestrian fatality? The reason I ask is this: I was driving home on Marietta Blvd. one night a few weeks ago. Marietta Blvd. is a large arterial, two lanes in each direction. This was late at night, like 1am. Suddenly, out of nowhere, there is a guy running in the street towards me. He's black, wearing all black, and running in the travel lane of a major arterial against traffic, instead of using the sidewalk which was right there. Now, if I hadn't swerved into the next lane, I would have hit him. Would this be considered a design flaw in need of fixing, or just the case of a stupid pedestrian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post

Indeed...there is no room on Memorial to have bike lanes. The road is only 30' wide in most parts. Peachtree should have become 2/1/2 with bike lanes. Can't say the bike lanes would be the safest thing, but they should be there.

Quote:

(1) there are no bike lanes on Peachtree in Midtown to connect with on the south (as there are in Buckhead on the north). Riders heading toward Midtown would suddenly hit a brick wall where there are no bike lanes.
I can't buy that as an explanation. By that logic, there could never be bike lanes anywhere if there weren't other bike lanes for them to connect to, meaning that there would have to be dedicated bike lanes literally everywhere. An urbanists wet dream, yes, but not remotely practical.

Last edited by samiwas1; 01-13-2018 at 08:12 AM..

Old 01-13-2018, 08:24 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,660,916 times
Quote:

There are no bike lanes YET. There are bike lanes on Peachtree through Buckhead itself, and there are plans for bike lanes on Peachtree through midtown.

That's like saying that we shouldn't have the 10th Street cycle track because there aren't contiguous bike lanes all the way to Midtown Station. That's just silly.

Quote:
(2) there were serious concerns about the safety of cyclists on an extremely busy stretch of road like this. Do we want bicyclists pedaling along a 4' painted strip immediately adjacent to an arterial road carrying 40,000 trucks, cars and buses a day?
So, instead, what cyclists will use the route will have no bike lanes, or will use the sidewalks and interfere with pedestrians. You can't just assume that every cyclist is through-traffic, especially since bikes are more for last-mile or comparatively shorter distances. There are tons of destinations that just can't be accessed without using Peachtree, no matter how much you might insist they use the 'alternatives'.

Quote:
Bear in mind there weren't any lawyers involved -- it was just several hundred regular folks turning out for public meetings. Some of them were okay with bike lanes, but the majority believed that cyclists would be safer taking the parallel route on the Beltline/residential streets.
They were people, sure, and they demanded that their driving be prioritized over others' biking, even though the actual experts and professionals working the projects said doing so wouldn't help traffic at all.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:41 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,815,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post

Is there a link regarding the pedestrian fatality? The reason I ask is this: I was driving home on Marietta Blvd. one night a few weeks ago. Marietta Blvd. is a large arterial, two lanes in each direction. This was late at night, like 1am. Suddenly, out of nowhere, there is a guy running in the street towards me. He's black, wearing all black, and running in the travel lane of a major arterial against traffic, instead of using the sidewalk which was right there. Now, if I hadn't swerved into the next lane, I would have hit him. Would this be considered a design flaw in need of fixing, or just the case of a stupid pedestrian?
https://memorialdriveatl.com/2017/04...emorial-drive/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta