Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 02:44 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Lord, all folks around here seem to do is plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
In the last 15+ years, there have probably been 50+ studies and plans and visions and documents and whatnot.

And in all that time, the only actual thing that's actually happened (*as far as transit) was the Downtown Streetcar loop... and it's terrible.

*I realize this study is general transportation, not transit
Would you rather have projects constructed based on outdated traffic/ridership/demographic data instead? Tell your politicians to cough up the $$$ so that said plans become reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 03:31 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Tell your politicians to cough up the $$$ so that said plans become reality.
I do tell them that. Do you? Do your part.

Honestly though, not all of the various plans have been that good. This transportation plan by the city has a lot of great stuff in it. Nice map showing the different projects.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:33 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
As far as Moores Mills TC, MARTA would need to buy up the CVS, Wendy's, and RaceTrac properties, and build it there, in that whole triangle block, with a parking deck. I believe RaceTrac is planning to build a new gas station across the street and close that one, anyway. And the CVS and Wendy's could potentially be rebuilt, integrated into the new station as TOD. Or they could just be relocated, or closed. I imagine the CVS is hurting a bit now anyway with the new Publix.
Holy hell. That project would get blasted by the neighborhood. Ain't no way the residents surrounding that, including yours truly, is going to want existing active business (especially the CVS and Wendy's) torn down and replaced with a huge deck and bus center. These are the only drug store and fast food restaurant in two miles. About the only place around here you'd be able to do that would be on land city of Atlanta already owns on Bolton Rd, west of Adams Drive. But Bolton would have to be expanded to handle that traffic.

Indeed, the RaceTrac is supposed to be moving across the street to lots previously inhabited by Bark Avenue (which closed more than 6 years ago), Adams Drive (which was closed about 5 years ago), and Blimpie (which has been closed for 10 years or so).

Old 01-13-2018, 03:35 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
I like your suggestion, but
Quote:
Then a potentially regionally important stop at Northside Dr- connect with GRTA buses from I-75, Northside Dr BRT, potential park&ride, etc.
There is no need for a P&R in the city's core.
Quote:
Do you? Do your part.
Gulch did their part voted Yes for the Atlanta Transit Sales Tax.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:41 PM

[quote=primaltech;50689353]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Isn't the parking lot at Turner Field a park and ride of some sort? Or didn't it used to be? I always wondered why there would be a park and ride so close to downtown, but maybe I saw something that didn't exist.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Isn't the parking lot at Turner Field a park and ride of some sort? Or didn't it used to be? I always wondered why there would be a park and ride so close to downtown, but maybe I saw something that didn't exist.
I know it's parking for Fulton County jury duty, and they shuttle you over to the courthouse. I got called down there once when I lived in Sandy Springs.

It's probably other city/county function parking as well.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Fine, doesn't matter to me if there's park&ride at Northside. I was just throwing that in there.

The only one that really needs parking is Moore's Mill. Which is MARTA's plan.

Despite samiwas' NIMBY objections, I'm betting MARTA's thinking the same thing as I am as far as that CVS/Wendy's/Racetrac. Because like samiwas said, there's no other place to put it, around there.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:55 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Fine, doesn't matter to me if there's park&ride at Northside. I was just throwing that in there.

The only one that really needs parking is Moore's Mill. Which is MARTA's plan.

Despite samiwas' NIMBY objections, I'm betting MARTA's thinking the same thing as I am as far as that CVS/Wendy's/Racetrac. Because like samiwas said, there's no other place to put it, around there.
Unless the existing businesses will be replaced in a TOD, I agree with them. Those businesses pay taxes and create jobs.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:00 PM

Only other option might be if the water treatment plant gave up some of its land, along Bolton and Moores Mill.

Besides that, I'm at a loss, unless they put it way over to the west on Bolton. But then it wouldn't really be a Moores Mill transit center.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Unless the existing businesses will be replaced in a TOD, I agree with them. Those businesses pay taxes and create jobs.
And, like I said, they are the only drug store and fast food restaurant in the area, for miles. You don't have to be a fan of fast food to know that they are useful.

And the CVS is still doing fine, from what I can tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta