U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 08:38 PM

5,502 posts, read 2,819,494 times

Advertisements

Seems to be quite the season for new transportation plans. Gwinnett, Fulton, Downtown Atlanta, and now all of the City of Atlanta.

Quote:
Atlanta’s Transportation Plan is a vision and action plan for transportation in Atlanta. Addressing both current needs and those of the future as detailed through Atlanta City Design, this plan will position Atlanta to have a safe, mobile, and affordable transportation system that supports 1.3 million residents and 1.2 million jobs by reducing congestion, improving access, and supporting economic growth.
Quote:
The Connect Atlanta Plan was adopted in 2008 as an overarching document to guide the transportation prioritization decision-making process. In addition to serving as a framework for identifying and prioritizing transportation investments, Connect Atlanta project recommendations were integrated into the regional planning process. This allowed the City of Atlanta to leverage federal and state matching funds for eligible projects. Voters approved two additional sources of local funds, the Renew Atlanta Infrastructure bond in 2015 and the Transportation Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (T-SPLOST) in 2016. Renew Atlanta is anticipated to provide $188 million in transportation funding, while T-SPLOST will generate $300 million from 2016 to 2021. Also in 2016, voters passed the More MARTA referendum, which is expected to produce $2.5 billion in additional funding through 2056.
Quote:
The projects that were prioritized came from previous plans and current programs (e.g. Connect Atlanta, Renew Atlanta, More MARTA) as well as feedback from the public and stakeholders.
Atlanta's Transportation Plan 2017 Draft Final Report

Atlanta's Transportation Plan Draft Project List Interactive Map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 08:46 PM

9,671 posts, read 8,794,001 times
Lord, all folks around here seem to do is plan.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:36 PM

6,041 posts, read 3,038,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
In the last 15+ years, there have probably been 50+ studies and plans and visions and documents and whatnot.

And in all that time, the only actual thing that's actually happened (*as far as transit) was the Downtown Streetcar loop... and it's terrible.

*I realize this study is general transportation, not transit

Old 01-12-2018, 10:31 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,806,911 times
Quote:
The Atlanta Way!

Old 01-13-2018, 08:47 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,366,306 times
Most interesting to me is this:

Quote:
TR-003 -- Northwest Regional Light Rail/High Capacity Transit Corridor

High speed/frequent LRT service with limited stations.

Option A. Light Rail Transit on new exclusive alignment in shared right-of-way from Cobb County to Ga Tech and the Coca Cola Head Quarters, approximately via Marietta Blvd. to Marietta Street to 8th Street to Tech Parkway to Luckie Street. Then the LRT shifts to mixed flow alignment from Luckie Street to MARTA's North Avenue Station, approximately 1/2 mile, via North Avenue. The Alignment continues in mixed flow alignment to City Hall East and the Beltline, approximately 1.5 miles, via Ponce De Leon Blvd. Six potential stations in the City of Atlanta (Bolton Road, Carrol Drive, Beltline, Howell Mill, Luckie Street, MARTA's North Avenue Station, Piedmont Road, Boulevard, City Hall East (Beltline).

Option B (Stops at Moores Mill, Huff Road area, Piedmont Hospital & Lindbergh) Instead of following Marietta to the southeast into downtown, it will now take Chattahoochee Road and then curve to the north around Ellsworth Industrial Road, following Beltline rail to the Lindbergh MARTA station.
Option A, please! But instead of Ponce, use North Ave (I feel like this was drafted before Ponce City Market and the streetcar proposal that uses North, so that may be why it says Ponce). It's almost too obvious and several posters on here have recommended a transit line that does exactly what this is saying. It will open up a lot of the NW side of the city to transit where they desperately need it, particularly with all the new developments in "West Midtown." Option B isn't too bad either.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:49 AM

4,392 posts, read 2,923,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Seems to be quite the season for new transportation plans. Gwinnett, Fulton, Downtown Atlanta, and now all of the City of Atlanta.

Atlanta's Transportation Plan 2017 Draft Final Report

Atlanta's Transportation Plan Draft Project List Interactive Map
I see a few projects that caught my interest:
- Widening Huff road to include a turn lane. YES PLEASE. It backs up so much from the Howell Mill intersection because right turners have to wait for left turners to turn, which they can't do until he very long light turns green.
- Intersection improvements at Howell Mill and Collier/Emery. But...a roundabout? Not sure...
- Deering Street extension to Howell Mill. I could get behind that...will use it periodically.
- Better intersection at 17th/Howell Mill.
- Not sure of the point of a 4-lane bridge for the 15th Street Extension. I guess it's solely for HOV connection, because 15th Street itself doesn't connect through to anything.
- Realign 10th Street to connect with Virginia at Monroe, i almost the exact way I specified in an earlier post.
- "Protected facility on Moore's Mill between Bolton and Paces Ferry". Hahah...will love to see how they accomplish that. It's already a narrow, heavily-traveled mini-arterial with a 20' wide bridge over Peachtree Creek.
- Light Rail in front of my neighborhood. Interesting. Doesn't look like a route I would use often, but could be nice. Of course, I likely won't live here any more if/when this would ever get built.
- New interstate ramps around Monroe.

Quote:
They don't need too plan, plan, plan. They need to do, do, do (huh huh huh).

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Most interesting to me is this:
Option A, please! But instead of Ponce, use North Ave (I feel like this was drafted before Ponce City Market and the streetcar proposal that uses North, so that may be why it says Ponce). It's almost too obvious and several posters on here have recommended a transit line that does exactly what this is saying. It will open up a lot of the NW side of the city to transit where they desperately need it, particularly with all the new developments in "West Midtown." Option B isn't too bad either.
I like option A, too. But, they'll need a few more stops. Bolton Road to Carroll is a long way, with a LOT of upcoming business and residential at and south of Coronet.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:32 AM

5,243 posts, read 4,449,041 times
Lots of interesting info here. I haven't digested all of it yet, but if I understand it correctly, much of this is already funded. I wish the city, MARTA, Beltline would do a better job explaining/promoting the fact that we have funding for a significant number of these projects. The general public thinks all this planning is for naught and we won't ever expand MARTA rail, but MARTA rail expansion is funded and is in progress.

Interesting detail in the project list.
Quote:
TR-017
Clifton Corridor Transit Initiative
Light rail from Lindbergh Center MARTA station to Avondale MARTA station via Emory University/CDC campus. Atlanta portion extends only from
Lindbergh to approximately Cheshire Bridge Road.
Transit
More MARTA
With the annexation of Emory, I would expect the description of this project to have expanded. IIRC the old project description, the wording is now more restricted in regards to the project scope.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:54 PM

Here is, IMO, the very best thing the City of Atlanta and MARTA could do. I just did this up real quick in Google Maps:

MARTA Purple Line

Combine this NW LRT to Moores Mill concept, with the Emory LRT. Make it all one line. As a true LRT line, like Seattle, not like Atlanta Streetcar. Its own dedicated ROW and all that jazz. Tunnels as much as possible (but only where necessary).

Center it on a new Armour hub infill station on Red/Gold. This could be the new Five Points. Connect with MARTA heavy rail north/south, MARTA light rail east/west (platforms perpendicular to the the HRT platforms, all built under one roof), connect with Beltline LRT down to Piedmont Park, and potentially connect with commuter rail/regional rail/Amtrak. Put the new Amtrak station there.

It runs west using the Beltline transit ROW. First stop at Peachtree for Brookwood/Piedmont Hospital. Then a potentially regionally important stop at Northside Dr- connect with GRTA buses from I-75, Northside Dr BRT, potential park&ride, etc. Then it runs in a cut-and-cover tunnel under Bellmeade Ave, with a station at Howell Mill. Then the tunnel surfaces at Chattahoochee Ave where it could then run in dedicated surface ROW, on that road and then Marietta Blvd. (In the median or whatever.) Stops at Hills Park, Crest Lawn, and Moores Mill Transit Center. Moores Mill would be a large station with a ton of park&ride for NW Atlanta/NW Buckhead, and would connect with the Silver Comet trail, and MARTA buses and CobbLinc buses and etc.

Then in the future, it's ready to be extended into Cobb, when Cobb is ready. It could continue along Atlanta Rd, or better yet, it could turn and run north along the CSX rail ROW, to Cumberland. Perfect.

And then of course east of Armour, it would be Cheshire Bridge, Briarcliff, and 3 stations at Emory, and then a final stop (for now) at N Decatur Rd at Clairmont. This final station could connect with MARTA Green Line HRT to Northlake/Tucker, once DeKalb is ready to pony up the funds for that. And eventually the LRT line could be extended to Avondale (or I think Downtown Decatur would be a better idea).

One light rail line could do so much. For the city and regionally.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:28 PM

4,392 posts, read 2,923,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Here is, IMO, the very best thing the City of Atlanta and MARTA could do. I just did this up real quick in Google Maps:

MARTA Purple Line

Combine this NW LRT to Moores Mill concept, with the Emory LRT. Make it all one line. As a true LRT line, like Seattle, not like Atlanta Streetcar. Its own dedicated ROW and all that jazz. Tunnels as much as possible (but only where necessary).

Center it on a new Armour hub infill station on Red/Gold. This could be the new Five Points. Connect with MARTA heavy rail north/south, MARTA light rail east/west (platforms perpendicular to the the HRT platforms, all built under one roof), connect with Beltline LRT down to Piedmont Park, and potentially connect with commuter rail/regional rail/Amtrak. Put the new Amtrak station there.

It runs west using the Beltline transit ROW. First stop at Peachtree for Brookwood/Piedmont Hospital. Then a potentially regionally important stop at Northside Dr- connect with GRTA buses from I-75, Northside Dr BRT, potential park&ride, etc. Then it runs in a cut-and-cover tunnel under Bellmeade Ave, with a station at Howell Mill. Then the tunnel surfaces at Chattahoochee Ave where it could then run in dedicated surface ROW, on that road and then Marietta Blvd. (In the median or whatever.) Stops at Hills Park, Crest Lawn, and Moores Mill Transit Center. Moores Mill would be a large station with a ton of park&ride for NW Atlanta/NW Buckhead, and would connect with the Silver Comet trail, and MARTA buses and CobbLinc buses and etc.

Then in the future, it's ready to be extended into Cobb, when Cobb is ready. It could continue along Atlanta Rd, or better yet, it could turn and run north along the CSX rail ROW, to Cumberland. Perfect.

And then of course east of Armour, it would be Cheshire Bridge, Briarcliff, and 3 stations at Emory, and then a final stop (for now) at N Decatur Rd at Clairmont. This final station could connect with MARTA Green Line HRT to Northlake/Tucker, once DeKalb is ready to pony up the funds for that. And eventually the LRT line could be extended to Avondale (or I think Downtown Decatur would be a better idea).

One light rail line could do so much. For the city and regionally.
I would Love to have this option, but there are a few issues I see. The hills park, Howell Mill, and Northside stations aren’t in the most usable spots, where they would gain much ridership. I would put forth two options:
1. Run the line closer to Collier, with stops at defoors and emery/Howell Mill (or by the food truck park), and Piedmont Hospitsl.
2. Run the line further south through West Midtown and Atlantic Station.
I don’t have any specific ROW in mind, just putting forth better places for stops.

As for the Moores Mill Park And Ride with “tons of parking”....where??

Old 01-13-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I would Love to have this option, but there are a few issues I see. The hills park, Howell Mill, and Northside stations aren’t in the most usable spots, where they would gain much ridership. I would put forth two options:
1. Run the line closer to Collier, with stops at defoors and emery/Howell Mill (or by the food truck park), and Piedmont Hospitsl.
2. Run the line further south through West Midtown and Atlantic Station.
I don’t have any specific ROW in mind, just putting forth better places for stops.

As for the Moores Mill Park And Ride with “tons of parking”....where??
As far as Moores Mills TC, MARTA would need to buy up the CVS, Wendy's, and RaceTrac properties, and build it there, in that whole triangle block, with a parking deck. I believe RaceTrac is planning to build a new gas station across the street and close that one, anyway. And the CVS and Wendy's could potentially be rebuilt, integrated into the new station as TOD. Or they could just be relocated, or closed. I imagine the CVS is hurting a bit now anyway with the new Publix.

And I'd be fine with your routing suggestions. But the basic idea is: MARTA LRT Purple Line, from Moores Mill to Emory, via Armour, and utilizing the NW Beltline. It would essentially function as the NW Beltline transit.

Then the Eastside Beltline would have another similar LRT line from Armour infill to Krog St infill. Armour would be a hub, with a ton of rail connections.

On top of all that, makes it a fairly easy effort for Cobb to then pick up the baton and run it up to Cumberland, where it could serve the Braves and etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or