Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 05:26 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times

Advertisements

Every time I venture out there, it seems as nice as ever. What am I not seeing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 05:31 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
It must be terrible. I am so sad I am moving there shortly.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:40 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
There are economically stressed areas in the suburbs as well as in town. There is little to no difference. Having lived in both, it does seem like some intowners revel in suburban problems way too much. Not so much vice-versa.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:15 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
I grew up in Atlanta so I can't lament suburbia. I don't think I ever will. I'm sure there are other narratives, but I always connect the earlier suburban movement to midcentury white flight from the city.
The white population of the city of Atlanta declined by about 175,000 during the decades of mid-century white flight.

That's a very small drop in the bucket of the suburbs.

Millions of blacks, Hispanics, Asians and other ethnic groups have settled in the burbs as well.

Last edited by arjay57; 01-16-2018 at 07:36 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 08:32 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
There are still a lot of nice suburbs. But nationality many suburbs are having challenges. That is no different here in Atlanta. Many suburban areas that used to know as really nice when I was younger have become lower income areas. There are a lot of former 1980s "McMansions" out there that now are being shared with a lot of roommates and not getting properly maintained.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:32 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
Just go anywhere near Lake Lanier or the Gainesville area.
Does anybody consider Gainesville a northern suburb of Atlanta?

Old 01-16-2018, 09:10 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Maybe the chickens in southern Hall.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:16 PM

492 posts, read 535,724 times
I live in Alpharetta and this area only has gotten nicer in the last 10 years. The same with Forsyth. The county is booming and for the first time it entered the top 20 richest counties in the US, the only county in Georgia. Every month we read about a new company moving in or a new upscale mixed use project being announced. Alpharetta and Forsyth schools are among the best in the state and the country. I don't think anything in this area is collapsing, the Alpharetta-Milton-Johnscreek-South Forsyth segment is booming developing it's separate identity, kinda like Orange County to LA.. Most of the trailer parks in this area have been swallowed by newer subdivisions and the residents of these parks have moved out of the area relocating further up North.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:52 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linus1220 View Post
Just go anywhere near Lake Lanier or the Gainesville area. There are expansive trailer parks off the same main roads that million dollar lake homes are on.
The trailer parks were there long before the million dollar lake houses. You just never noticed them for some reason.

Hispanic workers making minimum wage at the chicken factory gotta live somewhere.

Last edited by Newsboy; 01-16-2018 at 10:04 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 10:53 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
That's a good question.

An area like Gainesville, which is roughly about 50+ miles from Downtown Atlanta, would probably best be described as an 'exurb' rather than as a 'suburb'.

Though some parts of south Hall County that are closest to Gwinnett County probably could be described as 'far outer-suburban' considering that those areas are as close to Atlanta as Cumming is in central Forsyth County, one trait of exurban areas is that they will often feature pockets of outer-suburban type of affluence intermingled with pockets of middle-income housing and pockets of poverty (like trailer homes, etc).

Like was alluded to earlier in the thread as well as in other threads and discussions on this subject, suburban areas in larger metros all over the country have experienced a significant degree of socioeconomic diversification in recent years.

Because of a large base of commercial development that has generated many office, commercial, industrial, retail, and logistical jobs, the suburbs of large major metro areas (like Atlanta, etc) have seen an influx of lower-income residents (including large numbers of immigrants) that are attracted to those jobs and the generally high-quality schools of those outlying areas.

The influx of large numbers of lower-income residents into traditionally affluent suburban areas does not mean that the suburbs are "collapsing," it just means that the suburbs of large major metro areas are much more socioeconomically diverse than they were in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta