Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 04:20 PM

10,352 posts, read 11,369,135 times

Advertisements

For those who might have missed it, there was a gubernatorial primary debate held this past Saturday.

The debate/forum was moderated by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's junior political writer Greg Bluestein, included 7 Republican gubernatorial candidates and was hosted by the Georgia 9th Congressional District Republican Party. The forum was held at The Venue at Friendship Springs in Flowery Branch in Hall County.

Here is the link to the video of that gubernatorial GOP primary debate (scroll down from the top of the page for video)...
Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 05:04 PM

31,997 posts, read 36,601,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
For those who might have missed it, there was a gubernatorial primary debate held this past Saturday.

The debate/forum was moderated by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's junior political writer Greg Bluestein, included 7 Republican gubernatorial candidates and was hosted by the Georgia 9th Congressional District Republican Party. The forum was held at The Venue at Friendship Springs in Flowery Branch in Hall County.

Here is the link to the video of that gubernatorial GOP primary debate (scroll down from the top of the page for video)...
Home
Thanks for that link, B2R.

I wish we could change the title of this thread to something generic like "Georgia Governor's Race" instead of giving this Cagle character a PR boost every time somebody posts.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:45 PM

Here is an article from some North Carolinians up in Raleigh and the NC Triangle watching the Georgia gubernatorial race that talks about the various stances of the Georgia GOP gubernatorial candidates on the hot-button issue of illegal immigration, including Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp who currently appears to have the toughest stance on the issue of any of the GOP gubernatorial candidates...

"Illegal immigration a focus of Georgia GOP governor's race" (WRAL-TV Raleigh, NC)
Illegal immigration a focus of Georgia GOP governor's race :: WRAL.com
Quote:
As seven Republicans jockey for their party's nomination, illegal immigration is one thing that the leading candidates largely agree on: Georgia may have some of the toughest laws targeting illegal immigration in the country, but it needs to do more, they say. Critics, however, argue that deportation is a federal issue, and tougher laws create an environment in which immigrants are hesitant to report crimes.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:56 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,197,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I wish we could change the title of this thread to something generic like "Georgia Governor's Race" instead of giving this Cagle character a PR boost every time somebody posts.
Indeed. We need one transit thread (which we're starting to have now, with my ATL thread), one generic ongoing thread for political races, and just basically one thread for each usual topic we discuss around here.

It would really be a win-win, as those threads would have constant active discussion, and there'd be fewer threads to deal with and navigate (and moderate).

Old 04-04-2018, 06:08 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,213,341 times
As another point of view, I think it is good to break out significant news into separate threads. Threads can very often be taken over by a couple of posters going back and forth. That's fine and I enjoy it a lot of the time. But in that process, interesting news is buried as the conversation keeps on going.

There's too much going on out there to encapsulate into a large topical threads. In my humble opinion, that is

but since this isn't a politics forum, I agree this should be renamed to cover the whole gov's race. Too much PR for Cagle...

Old 04-04-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Thanks for that link, B2R.

Yeah... I know that many moderate and progressive metro Atlantans may be (more than a little) unhappy with Cagle after his attacks on Delta Airlines over their discontinuation of discounts for NRA Convention travelers.

But despite the understandable displeasure towards Cagle by many moderate and progressive metro Atlantans over the Delta Airlines dust-up, Cagle is (in addition to already being one of the absolute most powerful political figures in the state as Georgia Lt. Governor and President of the Georgia state Senate) still by far the effective frontrunner in the 2018 Georgia gubernatorial race, not just in the Republican primary, but also in the entire gubernatorial race as a whole.

So it is going to be awfully difficult, if not just downright impossible, to avoid giving a figure like Casey Cagle a PR boost when news is posted on the Governor's race just simply because this thread in effect has become a de-facto thread on the Governor's race and because Cagle already is such a powerful figure in both metro Atlanta and Georgia politics as Lt. Governor and President of the GA state Senate.

Cagle has been the frontrunner for the 2018 Governor's race ever since Nathan Deal won his first term as governor back in 2010 and Cagle in earnest became the frontrunner of the 2018 gubernatorial contest when Deal won a second term as governor and Cagle won a third term as Lt. Governor back in 2014 by being the leading vote-getter in the state during that election cycle in the process.

In no way is this 2018 gubernatorial contest a fair and level playing field. This 2018 gubernatorial race is and has been Cagle's to lose for a very long time... And much of the reporting on this race is going to reflect that reality.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:16 PM

As much as it pains me to say it, Cagle is still the moderate, sensible one among the Republicans. And we all know which party wins state races.

Don't get me wrong, I like Evans a lot better, but neither Democrat unfortunately really has a chance.

Though it's still important to run and spend and give it their all. Because there's a race every 4 years, and Georgia is only changing. Dems need to build up that base.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:26 PM

Georgia Democrats need to focus on winning a US senate race, as their next big hurdle. That would be huge. It would reflect Georgia's increasingly purplish status, if we had one liberal Democratic senator, and one conservative Republican senator.

The governor's office is state politics, and state politics is more conservative territory nationwide than national politics. It's not bad to have a Republican governor, anyway. Even many northeastern states do. The key is that the governor needs to be very moderate, and be liked by people on both sides and willing to work with both sides.

Governor Deal has been totally fine. Especially this second term, I have had no complaints. Even actually impressed.

Besides a few ridiculous things like the NRA thing, Cagle has seemed like he could be generally following in the Deal footsteps.

Which would be appropriate given that Georgia is getting a little bit less conservative every year. That's why we don't need one of these other truly conservative Republicans, and why those types are going to have less and less of a chance to win.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:29 PM

Oh and another thing that GA Dems should do, is go for the Lt Gov office, and not ignore that race. It's a separate office, not like a VP. You can have a Lt Gov of the other party.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:30 PM

31,997 posts, read 36,601,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Indeed. We need one transit thread (which we're starting to have now, with my ATL thread), one generic ongoing thread for political races, and just basically one thread for each usual topic we discuss around here.

It would really be a win-win, as those threads would have constant active discussion, and there'd be fewer threads to deal with and navigate (and moderate).
Multiple threads are fine. It's just that this one has a title that gives a boost to one particular candidate every time somebody posts, no matter what they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta