Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 11:28 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,311,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You (and several other folks here) seem to be confusing rules with self-control and respect.

If it's important to you to have a drink of liquor on Sunday morning, go for it.
Ok. Now it's obvious you're trolling and not even reading the posts.

I should have known that when you connected buying alcohol with going to church, two totally unrelated activities.

Anyway, my mistake. Troll on, kemosabe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 11:30 AM

1,005 posts, read 727,584 times
Quote:
It's a matter of respect. Maybe some day the tradition of going to church on Sunday morning will vanish. However, at this point in our civilization it's still a little two hour time slot that tens of millions of people observe once a week.

You certainly have the right to drink liquor on Sunday morning -- if you have to have it, knock yourself out.

Respecting Christianity means not purchasing alcohol on Sunday......?

Old 03-13-2018, 12:01 PM

1,180 posts, read 982,057 times
Quote:
It's a matter of respect. Maybe some day the tradition of going to church on Sunday morning will vanish. However, at this point in our civilization it's still a little two hour time slot that tens of millions of people observe once a week.

You certainly have the right to drink liquor on Sunday morning -- if you have to have it, knock yourself out.
Please explain the connection between alcohol consumption before noon on Sunday and going to church. I fail to see how the two are related and why it is a matter of respect to not drink before noon.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:58 PM

23,419 posts, read 44,027,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
Please explain the connection between alcohol consumption before noon on Sunday and going to church. I fail to see how the two are related and why it is a matter of respect to not drink before noon.
Apparently someone has never taken the Eucharist.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:21 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,745,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
Many of our fellow citizens see Sunday, particularly Sunday morning, as a time of worship and not a time of boozing. While I personally don't have strong feelings on the subject, I can respect their traditions and convictions.

Fortunately, I am not so driven by the need for liquor that I am unable to hold off until the noon hour one day a week. So it's just not a critical problem for me.

For those who do crave liquor on Sunday morning, I am in favor of letting them have it. There is no reason to make them suffer because they forgot to buy their booze during one of the other 6 1/2 days of the week.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:37 AM

1,005 posts, read 727,584 times
It's a real pity they removed the ability for retail vendors to sell at the same time of restaurants. But, if Deal signs this and folk pass it by a referendum, it's one more step to catching up to other cities (Christian ones, even). I was already happy that breweries could finally sell without the need for a third party. Now I'm hoping that the metro-area all approves so that there aren't splotches in the map.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:02 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,098,935 times
Quote:
As I said, it's legal and people have the right to do what they want. I'm just commenting that it's sad that folks are so desperate for a drink of liquor that they can't hold on till church lets out.
Times change, a lot of folks in my generation aren't religous in the traditional sense. I know just as many people that practice Ifa and light candles on shrines than ones that go to a regular Christian church and pray in the pews. Sunday is just another day of the week to me, and I'm not alone in that. Add that into the fact that brunch/day parties have become a big thing here in Atlanta, going out and having fun during the day is legit a viable alternative now to sloshing around in the streets at 1 AM. So lets also throw the safety aspect into the equation, Brunch becoming a thing also cuts the late night shennanigans down a bit, less folks on the streets at night to get into trouble because a good 1/3 of that crowd is already home sleeping the bottomless mimosas off. And lets not forget the hole in the wall Bootleging spots that we used to have to get liquor from on Sundays back in the day before they even started this Sunday liquor thing. Random sketch houses in the neighborhoods or a spot like the old Tasty Dog on Simpson that would be considered a hole in the wall on its best day. Those places were WHOLE Deathtraps, Tasty Dog's parking lot was good for at least 1 murder a year. And now that its closed I can put it out there and say the hot splits on a bun was not the reason that place was always so crowded. You can throw out 1 single reason why not (church), that only touches a smaller and smaller group of people every year, but I can throw out at least 3 reasons that touch people of multiple backgrounds and wlll only grow as time passes. This bill was a good move. Now if only we can get recreational weed around here we will be good to go.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:48 AM

927 posts, read 2,224,429 times
Quote:
You (and several other folks here) seem to be confusing rules with self-control and respect.

If it's important to you to have a drink of liquor on Sunday morning, go for it.
Why are you assuming it's solely about a lack of self-control?

If someone doesn't drink all week, or maybe even months at a time, and they have a brunch with friends a few times a year, it doesn't mean they lack self-control because they wanted a mimosa at 11:30 at brunch instead of 12:30 when the meal might be over.

That's a completely arbitrary definition of self-control.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:48 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,368,042 times
Quote:
Many of our fellow citizens see Sunday, particularly Sunday morning, as a time of worship and not a time of boozing. While I personally don't have strong feelings on the subject, I can respect their traditions and convictions.

Fortunately, I am not so driven by the need for liquor that I am unable to hold off until the noon hour one day a week. So it's just not a critical problem for me.

For those who do crave liquor on Sunday morning, I am in favor of letting them have it. There is no reason to make them suffer because they forgot to buy their booze during one of the other 6 1/2 days of the week.
And the people said, “Amen!”

Old 03-14-2018, 11:06 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,689,308 times
Quote:
You can 100% respect their traditions and convictions while still having a drink on Sunday. Just because some people don't want to drink on sunday, doesn't mean they get to impose that on others who do.

It's beyond respecting, and into codifying.

Quote:
It's not about whether or not it's a 'critical problem', it's all about creating laws based on a narrow religious belief that's supposed to be personal.

What if it was my religious belief to consume alcohol before noon on Sundays, and I hadn't stocked up or whatever? Well now the codification of one religion's feelings are overriding my right to the free expression of my religion.

It may feel inconsequential to you, but it's one heck of a precedent to set in the observance of one religious idea over another in law.

Quote:
And what if we didn't let people, I dunno, buy shellfish during certain times on Friday? Or all restaurants were required to be closed in observance of a Friday fasting? The medium isn't the issue, it's the actual legal establishment of specific beliefs over others' rights to hold different beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta