U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 02:08 PM

804 posts, read 1,746,959 times

Advertisements

I was reading that Tara Blvd in Clayco was going to be turned into a super arterial like PIB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 11:34 PM

2,088 posts, read 836,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
I was reading that Tara Blvd in Clayco was going to be turned into a super arterial like PIB.
Wow, turns out you're right... I knew they were looking into enforcing a TSPLOST Sales Tax around 2012 to push for the construction but the tax got shut down and so did seemingly the idea.. but I didn't know they were still looking into doing this...

http://www.dot.ga.gov/BuildSmart/Stu.../Factsheet.pdf

.. I really hope they do this.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:58 AM
bu2

10,056 posts, read 6,452,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
This is a great way to increase traffic flow in an already developed area. However, I like the design of Central Expressway (US 75) from downtown Dallas to I-635 as the limited access portion is below grade and the access road and connecting overpasses are at grade. Gives a much more connected feel to either sides of the freeway instead of the highway feeling like a wall or a barrier. Probably a good bit more expensive to build, but worth it in terms of ambiance.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8361...2!8i6656?hl=en

Cobb Parkway rebuilt along these lines could rejuvenate that corridor and provide relief to 75. Incorporate HRT into the design as well.
I understand what you are saying, but Central Expressway is one of the last freeways I would consider aesthetic. Its a concrete canyon.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:19 AM

7,415 posts, read 10,080,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I understand what you are saying, but Central Expressway is one of the last freeways I would consider aesthetic. Its a concrete canyon.
That canyon is what makes it more appealing from the street level and from the neighborhood viewpoint. The thru traffic is hidden. The pic I posted is at Mockingbird. SMU is just over to the west. From the east side of Central you can see right over into the other side and it gives the feeling that integrates the two sides as opposed to Central being elevated and big concrete walls staring you in the face. It's like it gives the benefits of being partially tunneled.

Perhaps the driving up and down it isn't as picturesque from the driver's point of view, but for discussions here of what helps move traffic and still helps a neighborhood feel more connected and pedestrian friendly, it is a world of difference. Design should be focused on the people on the ground's viewpoint rather than the view for the driver. Drivers can look at a concrete canyon, who cares.

Here's another view from residential just north at University looking from the east to the west. You can't tell there is a freeway there. Much more pleasing than staring at a concrete wall and an overpass.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8456...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old 02-03-2018, 10:48 AM

5,109 posts, read 3,314,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
That canyon is what makes it more appealing from the street level and from the neighborhood viewpoint. The thru traffic is hidden.
Agreed. I'm sure I'm known here as a fan of freeways and driving fast, but I rather like the idea of the interstate being down below and street-level being above. It might get a little claustrophobic if you get stuck down there in traffic, but other than that...seems fine.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:58 AM
bu2

10,056 posts, read 6,452,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Agreed. I'm sure I'm known here as a fan of freeways and driving fast, but I rather like the idea of the interstate being down below and street-level being above. It might get a little claustrophobic if you get stuck down there in traffic, but other than that...seems fine.
Central is still a big barrier between the east and west. And it really isn't very lively along the freeway. Its pretty dead until you get to Northpark or several blocks east or west. So that "perception" hasn't helped much on the ground. Its very sterile.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Central is still a big barrier between the east and west. And it really isn't very lively along the freeway. Its pretty dead until you get to Northpark or several blocks east or west. So that "perception" hasn't helped much on the ground. Its very sterile.
And PIB is warm and inviting?

If there is any barrier in the pics I am posted that gives the feeling of separateness from the east side to the west, it is the city limits of University Park and Dallas. Knowing the mindset of the Park Cities denizens, they would probably prefer a solid wall.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Thanks. Glad someone sees what I'm seeing. Was wondering if I was out of touch lol. I drive this route often and it doesn't feel claustrophobic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centra...essway_(Dallas)

For the next six miles (10 km) north of downtown Dallas, the freeway lies more than 30 feet (9.1 m) below adjacent and partially cantilevered frontage roads. This 14-lane segment is one of the busiest highways in the nation, averaging approximately 350,000 AADT in 2013.
The freeway's architecturally distinctive design distinguishes it as one of the nation's most attractive urban freeways including 400,000 trees (bald cypress, yucca and honeysuckle), making it one of the most heavily landscaped freeways in Texas. Every structure and element along the highway right-of-way was given aesthetic attention during the design phase. Support columns for overpasses and bridges have been designed to be as visually appealing as possible. The beige concrete columns which form the support structure for the retaining walls contrast with the brown, textured infill panels of the walls to create a multicolored and articulated edge to the freeway. Two million square feet of these walls along the nine mile (14 km)-long project distinguishes the freeway.

Last edited by Saintmarks; 02-03-2018 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or