Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 01:24 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times

Advertisements

The kids also got to take responsible for being in a major city. The Marine Corp taught to never go anywhere along and to always be aware of your surroundings. These kids are constantly glued to their smart phones, not paying attention to who may be following them, thus making them easy pickings for robberies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 03:17 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
They did, it was called Hb280.
.....and that has solved the crime problem, clearly.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:55 AM

225 posts, read 277,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Yep, which is why more people need to take advantage of it.
Um, you have it reversed, it's not like they have to leave their firearms on campus. Previously, they couldn't have them in the neighborhood only because they were going to campus and couldn't carry them on campus. Now, they can keep them with them when leaving home for the most part.
How exactly does a self-defense scenario look?

Robbers get the pull on you while you are walking down the sidewalk and tell you to freeze/put your hands up/get on the ground/whatever. You then pull your gun, with the swiftness of The Flash, and pop a cap in all of them before they can get a shot off. Is that what you are envisioning?

Here's another scenario -- you go to pull your gun, and you get shot by the robber. They then steal your gun as you lay on the sidewalk bleeding out.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:13 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
None of these have happened "in the midst of downtown"
No need to split hairs to protect "downtown."

Old 02-12-2018, 09:28 AM

1,180 posts, read 984,225 times
I'm sure a strong police presence in the area would help.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:21 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
This has been an on-going problem since I've lived here.

Every year, the same thing.
I agree. I'm surprised that this is news for the police chief. The fact that he is "appalled"...really? I'm appalled that the police chief is appalled.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:28 PM

Uh...this stuff has been going on for the longest. And yes, it's happens in the midst of downtown. GSU students can tell you how often they get e-mails about a student getting mugged. Same thing with Tech. I will not blame the students. No one should have to walk around on guard all the time...really? Should people not feel safe just walking anywhere? That's why all the people who say oh you suburbanites and being afraid of being robbed you are just paranoid, not used to urban life, whatever...I know that it's b.s. Atlanta has a bad crime problem people like to pretend doesn't exist.

But just want to say that all over the U.S., white collar crime is a huge deal too and we should also be making a big deal about that!

Old 02-12-2018, 05:39 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Uh...this stuff has been going on for the longest. And yes, it's happens in the midst of downtown. GSU students can tell you how often they get e-mails about a student getting mugged. Same thing with Tech. I will not blame the students. No one should have to walk around on guard all the time...really? Should people not feel safe just walking anywhere? That's why all the people who say oh you suburbanites and being afraid of being robbed you are just paranoid, not used to urban life, whatever...I know that it's b.s. Atlanta has a bad crime problem people like to pretend doesn't exist.

But just want to say that all over the U.S., white collar crime is a huge deal too and we should also be making a big deal about that!
Not blaming the students either, but they do make it easy for the robbers. I live not too far from Tech and see some of them not paying attention to their surroundings a lot. It’s a city, if you don’t have the sense to walk down the street while being aware of what’s around you then you probably shouldn’t live in a city. Stick up kids know who to mess with, if you’re walking around with your head in your phone or if you just look like you’re scared and don’t belong, then yeah you might get robbed if someone is scoping because you’re looking like easy prey. Walk down the street with a purpose and your head on a swivel and you’ll be good to go. Robbing is all about the path of least resistance, from a robbers POV there is no point in catching an issue when you can just wait for someone who won’t give you one at all.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:08 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Not blaming the students either, but they do make it easy for the robbers. I live not too far from Tech and see some of them not paying attention to their surroundings a lot. It’s a city, if you don’t have the sense to walk down the street while being aware of what’s around you then you probably shouldn’t live in a city. Stick up kids know who to mess with, if you’re walking around with your head in your phone or if you just look like you’re scared and don’t belong, then yeah you might get robbed if someone is scoping because you’re looking like easy prey. Walk down the street with a purpose and your head on a swivel and you’ll be good to go. Robbing is all about the path of least resistance, from a robbers POV there is no point in catching an issue when you can just wait for someone who won’t give you one at all.
I would imagine a lot of those kids come from the burbs where they didn't need to be aware. Good advice about walking with a purpose and paying attention.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
I guess once you've lived in a country where you typically didn't have to worry about being mugged, your house being burglarized, etc., you feel as if it's never normal to have to walk around and be vigilant all the time but you know what, this is the U.S. and it's necessary and so I guess I see everyone's point. I have to remind myself all the time where I am and that I can't just be...I have to have eyes in the back of my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta