Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 06:19 PM

654 posts, read 526,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigup View Post
I'm not sure what your degree is in, but the difference in name recognition for an Online MBA between KSU and UGA sounds negligible to me. Sure, the degree will always be on a CV, but it's not like KSU will be treated as a blemish that will mask the OP's field-related work experience. Strayer University it is not. Also, quality/reputation of the individual program matters; I got my advanced degree from a state school with a highly-ranked program, and I was able to compete successfully on the job market (albeit in a very different field) with people holding degrees from much "fancier" private universities. I'm not sure what weight it carries in practical terms, but I did see KSU's Online MBA ranked in its category in USNWR. Isn't that some validation of the reputation of the individual program?
I guess it depends on the industry. An old coworker of mine used to leave his Ga State MBA off. And that was before online was around so everyone knew it was an on campus degree. Then again he had a graduate level certification that was worth so much more than a crappy MBA that it didn't matter.

Your education credentials are an investment that you can never lose. Don't waste them. I'm not convinced a graduate degree from KSU is even net positive given the time it takes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 06:45 PM

163 posts, read 138,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
Your education credentials are an investment that you can never lose. Don't waste them. I'm not convinced a graduate degree from KSU is even net positive given the time it takes.
And it doesn't even sound to me like the UGA program is either, given the way the OP described his situation and prior experience.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:28 PM

297 posts, read 271,127 times
I did my Undergraduate at UGA - no Masters degree. I think one place my degree has helped is when I have had a manager that also went to UGA. It definitely has helped as there is always a connection among fellow UGA grads. I think a big part of a program's success is how well they incorporate internet and co-ops. You should check what jobs have a minimum requirement of a master degree. I had a friend that did a master's program in tech writing at Kennesaw State. It was an excellent program and they really benefited from the work.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:35 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
I've decided to go back to school for my graduate degree, I've narrowed it down between UGA and Kennesaw State because of their 100 percent online IT Masters programs which are similar. The biggest difference is the cost, UGA cost over twice as much per credit hour than KS. Is paying for a name like UGA worth it? Or will I be fine paying less for a lesser known name like Kennesaw State? I do plan on staying and working in the Atlanta area for the foreseeable future.
UGA is a larger school and has more mindshare around Georgia than Kennessaw, but that is a different question as to the reputation of the schools respective IT Masters programs. I would email some HR or hiring managers.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:10 PM

787 posts, read 968,418 times
I'm going to apply to both, any tips on how to get someone to write me a letter of recommendation? I have not been to school in years I doubt any of my teachers will remember me.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:00 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
I'm going to apply to both, any tips on how to get someone to write me a letter of recommendation? I have not been to school in years I doubt any of my teachers will remember me.
Have you spoken to your employer already? Do you volunteer anywhere? If worse comes to worst, if there is a professor you feel would remember you (even if long ago), you might want to pay them a visit and ask if they could write you one. Obviously that last one would be if you got really desperate.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:55 PM

108 posts, read 81,275 times
If it helps, I went to UGA for undergrad and had a great experience, but I also understand how important the cost of school is. I was enrolled at UNC for graduate school and left for an in-state school because it was just too damn expensive. Although the school I transferred to doesn't have the brand power that UNC has, it hasn't stopped me from getting opportunities.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:02 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,588 times
It has been said but it comes down to ROI. My guess is UGA.

That said my “guess” also is that much of life is chance opportunity and that attempting to control the outcome with a degree from here or there is perhaps a futile endeavor.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ATL Golfer; 02-21-2018 at 10:42 PM..

Old 02-22-2018, 08:23 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
This is an online IT program. That negates the value of any UGA networking benefit, as you have minimal contact with classmates. For example, there is no bonding over beers that will come in handy down the line. There is no on-campus football experience you can share with a hiring manager who is a UGA alum.

Also, since you are staying in Atlanta, it’s very unlikely you will ever be doing IT for companies like Google, Apple, etc (who would care where your masters comes from- and even then UGA wouldn’t be good enough). In the Atlanta corporate environment, a Masters degree is typically more of a “checkbox” item when it to job seeking.

So unless your employer is footing the bill for the entire difference, it would make more financial sense to attend the cheaper school since this is an online IT program (to be fair, I would pick UGA if this were undergrad or an on-campus MBA program).

Old 05-17-2018, 06:53 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
You want to make sure that your employer's reimbursement plan will pay off most of what you take out in loans.

Example: $8000 a year reimbursement, which comes after completion of the semester with passing grades.

1. Enroll and take out student loans
2. Successfully complete all classes you registered for
3. Usually student loans have a 6 month grace period after classes are completed, before payments start. Your employer reimbursement should be received before you have to pay a penny to your loan company.

Figure out what you have to pay, what's covered (what fees are not), and see if you'd be responsible for any charges or overages beyond what the tuition reimbursement plan covers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: