Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 05:30 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Dangerous precedent. Next they'll try carving out a separate City of Buckhead so they can dilute the power and economy of a heavily Democratic, multi racial City of Atlanta.
But most of Atlanta's borders are cohesive and takes on all the commercial, industrial, and residential areas and the like of the areas within their border.

These suburban edge cities with fast growth are able to annex limited preferential areas (ie. for gain in tax receipts), without taking in surrounding neighborhoods.

These are not one in the same so there is no precedent being set for what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 07:00 PM

142 posts, read 168,238 times
Stockbridge has been going further and further downhill for years. They have a long history of dysfunction and corruption in the city council. They refuse to create their own police department despite the fact that they use more of Henry County PD's resources than any other Henry County city. (McDonough, Locust Grove, and Hampton all have their own forces in addition to HCPD.) Eagles Lading is a very nice area, and they want more control over what happens in their community. Stockbridge enjoys EL's taxes but does nothing for them. I don't blame the EL residents at all.

More info about the reasons behind their effort here: https://www.elerc.org

Old 02-15-2018, 09:18 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
Stockbridge reminds me of Douglasville and Union City. Annexing commercial land and leaving unincorporated residents in the dust. I do agree that the legislature should at least discuss city borders as our annexation laws have created this ridiculousness.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:29 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Let the local folks do what they want.

In my opinion this "cohesive borders" thing is more of an internet meme than a real life consideration.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:02 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Stockbridge split - CBS46 News

Old 02-16-2018, 01:53 PM

1,005 posts, read 729,188 times
=|

Old 02-17-2018, 10:10 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
What we need is a statewide impartial arbitrating effort to fix up and clean up all municipal borders, existing and proposed, including any new cities, until everything is all logical and efficient and appropriate and tasteful and historically mindful, and etc.

Led by aries4118 and me.

Yessir!

I wholeheartedly agree.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I don't really care all that much, but I disagree with the issues raised by the OP.

Look at the racial break downs in the article presented and it hardly seems to be an issue at play at all.

The racial demographics of stockbridge will barely change at all if this went through.

Eagle landing (proposed) isn't that much whiter and it seems to be a 50/50 split on white/black lines.

So I just can't support that this is somehow a racial motivation.

Kind of an overplayed argument...

The issue here is simple and it will play out again and again. The area cohesively has an identity and there are unincorporated areas around this area that could become its own city.

The issue is commercial properties (which hold a tax income value to the success of cities) in the area were annexed to Stockbridge a few parcels at a time to gain preferential zoning in the past. Stockbridge, compared to other nearby cities, have had aggressive annexation tactics that lets its borders spread a great distance, but only along valuable commercial corridors.

This has led to a long, at times discontinuous city taking in development along I-75.

Stockbridge has a decent amount of commercial property along the I-75 corridor immediately to their west.

If newer developments further south along the freeway want to organized a cohesive and continuous city with a real center, they need equal access to commercial properties in their immediate area both in terms of financial solvency of the proposed city, but also in terms of creating all cities with real economic balances (residential, commercial, and industrial) and not by handpicking parcels with a financial benefit further from the town center.

If the status-quo stays, then many areas will remain unincorporated as Stockbridge has current control of the only viable commercial development corridors and they have pursued aggressive annexation and preferential zoning tactics to gain that position.... sometimes at the cost of unincorporated residents that might want to one day be a part of an established city centered on their nearby community.

Now if someone just wants to create a new city with disorganized parcels that are valuable, I won't support it. But I do support a whole continuous area becoming a city, but they need access to all parcels of land in the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
But most of Atlanta's borders are cohesive and takes on all the commercial, industrial, and residential areas and the like of the areas within their border.

These suburban edge cities with fast growth are able to annex limited preferential areas (ie. for gain in tax receipts), without taking in surrounding neighborhoods.

These are not one in the same so there is no precedent being set for what you're talking about
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA5mom View Post
Stockbridge has been going further and further downhill for years. They have a long history of dysfunction and corruption in the city council. They refuse to create their own police department despite the fact that they use more of Henry County PD's resources than any other Henry County city. (McDonough, Locust Grove, and Hampton all have their own forces in addition to HCPD.) Eagles Lading is a very nice area, and they want more control over what happens in their community. Stockbridge enjoys EL's taxes but does nothing for them. I don't blame the EL residents at all.

All good and accurate points above.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA5mom View Post

Good stuff here. This would be good for the southside.

The "southeast" metro needs another golden corridor to go along with the Union Grove-Ola-Woodland corridor.

I can see Eagle's Landing-Lake Spivey (maybe with Jonesboro) becoming another southeast side golden corridor if all of this was to come to pass.

Ok, and now...

I have seen both.

I have always thought it was Eagle's Landing.

Is it Eagle's Landing or Eagles Landing???

Old 02-17-2018, 11:04 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,361,554 times
Stockbridge HAS gobbled up a great deal of commercial territory AND has few city services (no separate police or fire) To have a separate police department alone would be worth it to me. (I remember how responsive our small city police, fire, and EMT departments were when we lived in Morrow.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta