Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 06:20 PM

16,673 posts, read 29,483,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presidentsharpe View Post
To simplify all of this, Brookwood is by far the best high school.

It's the only truly "insulated" community which results in a lack of diversity but outstanding level of quality.

The way the community is designed itself also lends to why Brookwood has always been the go to school and community. It screams family. It screams "American dream."

It's nice in Brookwood. Really.

Parkview would be next.

Parkview and Brookwood are actually pretty diverse.

Both are two stellar communities and two stellar schools.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 09:42 PM

3 posts, read 6,836 times
@born2roll - Thank you again for your insight and depth of response - I really appreciate it. The online reports and statistics that reflect the school make me a little nervous, but if it's like a "school within a school" for the high achievers, and if the Peachtree Corners community should stay stable, then I feel more comfortable with the area for our family.

@Presidentsharpe - thanks for your endorsement for Brookwood HS. We are currently doing our homework on the school.

It sounds like we can't go wrong with any of the mentioned schools, which is actually a great problem to have. My family will be visiting the area over the next few days to get a feel for the different areas/neighborhoods. We can't wait.
Thank you!

Old 02-21-2018, 12:44 AM

10,388 posts, read 11,466,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presidentsharpe View Post
To simplify all of this, Brookwood is by far the best high school.

It's the only truly "insulated" community which results in a lack of diversity but outstanding level of quality.

The way the community is designed itself also lends to why Brookwood has always been the go to school and community. It screams family. It screams "American dream."

It's nice in Brookwood. Really.

Parkview would be next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Parkview and Brookwood are actually pretty diverse.

Both are two stellar communities and two stellar schools.
aries makes an excellent point that both Brookwood and Parkview are two stellar communities that are anchored by schools that are actually pretty diverse.

Brookwood High School is diverse to the point that racial and ethnic minorities make up about 58% of the student body at the school.

It is just that the difference between a school like Brookwood HS and a school like Norcross HS is that Brookwood HS does not have the very high population of lower-income transient families that have been attracted to the area with the large amount of higher-density rental dwellings like is the case in the Norcross HS attendance zone.

Most of Brookwood's racially and ethnically-diverse student body (about 72%) comes from affluent families, while most of Norcross High's racially and ethnically-diverse student body (about 67%) comes from less-affluent lower-income/working-class families.

Meanwhile, Parkview High School (which is a primary rival to Brookwood HS, especially in football) is even more racially and ethnically-diverse than Brookwood HS, with racial and ethnic minorities making up about 65% of Parkview's student body. Low-income students make up about 41% of the student body at Parkview High School... That's compared to Brookwood HS where low-income students make up about 28% of the student body.

The OP also mentioned North Gwinnett HS as a school that they were interested in.

North Gwinnett is one of only two public high schools in Gwinnett County that still has a majority-white student body (...Mill Creek HS and Buford HS are the only other two public high schools that still have majority-white student bodies in a county in Gwinnett where non-Hispanic whites once made up 96% of the population but now make up only about 38% of the population).

Racial and ethnic minorities make up about 44% of the student body at North Gwinnett High School where low-income students only make up about 12% of the student body.

Along with Brookwood and Parkview high schools, North Gwinnett High School would also fit into the category of being a "best" high school (one of the best public high schools in the entire Southeastern U.S.) given its most highest ratings for a school.

As alluded to before, even with the maximum amount of socioeconomic diversity and very high population of lower-income students, Norcross High School fits into that category of being a "best" high school along with Brookwood, Parkview and North Gwinnett because of the very strong support from the community that the school gets as well as the excellent leadership that the administration provides. Though, because of their significantly lower populations of low-income transient students, Brookwood, North Gwinnett and Parkview are undoubtedly going to provide overall academic scores that are noticeably higher than a more socioeconomically diverse school like Norcross.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:14 PM

128 posts, read 104,933 times
Of the 3 schools initially asked about I would say North Gwinnett, hands down. I teach at Parkview and it's a great place, as is Brookwood. But considering the OP's desire to be on that side of the county I would definitely go with NGHS.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:19 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,926,473 times
I went to Brookwood and will forever be a homer for that cluster, but North Gwinnett is an excellent school as well.
I've heard Norcross is a pretty good school as well, but it faces tough competition against Brookwood and North Gwinnett. In some counties, Norcross would be far and away the best school. But in Gwinnett, there are so many other good options (in addition to high schools in other counties) that Norcross gets overlooked.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:31 PM
bu2

24,053 posts, read 14,848,485 times
One thing that impressed me about North Gwinnett HS was going into the cafeteria and seeing all the banners advertising the number of their national merit finalists. And it was very big numbers. Don't remember for sure, but I think one year it was upper 40s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta