U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2018, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Atlanta,GA
2,671 posts, read 5,550,493 times
Reputation: 1165

Advertisements

This has been brought up at dinner a few times lately. My wife and I have been in GA for years now. We moved to Marietta (rented for a short time, then purchased/renovated our home). We love our area, the kids' schools (they were in private initially, but once we purchased our house, we switched to public and are highly satisfied). Our oldest daughter will be going to college next fall. Our sons are still in middle and elementary Cobb County Schools.

The drive home has been a "chore" for the Mrs. recently . Commuting to Piedmont Hospital from Marietta is not that long, but the wife's been singing a different tune lately. I feel she wants to enjoy close to town amenities and activities. I have been and still am reluctant to move. I did tell her I'd be open to look at areas closer to town. We looked at Decatur (near Lavista area), Tucker and it's relative proximity to Buckhead. Our realtor took us to Smoke Rise recently, which I like (really nice older neighborhoods). I'm not saying I'm giving up on Marietta, but keeping an open mind, just in case.

How are the schools in both Tucker and Smoke Rise? From my online research, I am personally not impressed with school stats. They don't seem to be as diverse either in my opinion. I don't see the reason to pay higher property taxes, sub par public schools (The kids might end up having to go to private again ), just to save maybe 5-10 minutes in commute time. Does anyone live in either of the two areas? And can someone give me real life opinions/perspectives on these areas? Traffic in the AM? Shopping? Schools? Activities? Demographics (more than a realtor is legally allowed to say)? Stats are just that. I do it for a living, but there's something to be said with anecdotal evidence. Real life examples might help me steer her in the right direction. I'm not convinced yet. Anyone care to opine?

Any reasons why these areas make more sense for the family based on the single issue (which is honestly a perceived shorter commute)? I calculated the route via Google Maps (it won't be 100% accurate, but gives a good enough idea). I show her data, and she still thinks it would be beneficial to consider these areas. I don't see it. Nice homes, and perceived shorter commute are the only two pros that she can come up with. I don't have issues. I work from home 3 days and fly to NY/FL often. Airport drive is not bad for me. Atlanta traffic doesn't affect me like it does her, but not considering her commute and feelings is also a bit selfish. But again, the difference in commute times may not be worth selling a house, moving kids to a new school district/county, and start over. (I don't want to do any more major repairs in my spare time either).

Any one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2018, 05:50 PM
 
Location: City of Atlanta
2,752 posts, read 1,710,305 times
Reputation: 3839
My parents live there. Smoke Rise is one of the few places I can think of where tony neighborhoods do not translate to good schools. It's a very nice area with decidedly mediocre schools. Not really much in the way of amenities outside of your basic shopping, but Decatur and the east side of Atlanta are relatively convenient via Hwy. 78.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 06:01 PM
 
Location: East Side of ATL
4,364 posts, read 6,032,693 times
Reputation: 1946
Long time, no see.

Quote:
Traffic in the AM? Shopping? Schools? Activities? Demographics
Depends but Lavista/Hugh Howell usually heading towards to 285 in the morning and towards 78 in the evening.

Shopping, you have quick access to Tucker, Norcross, or Lilburn.

Schools are pretty average or below. Most people support the HS but the elementary and middle school seems to be majority private school hence the low scores.

Demographics seems to be a decent mix for the most part. Lilburn has more Indians and such. Most of Smokerise would lean to being a majority white area though.

I don't see how you would save any time though. Maybe if you choose Peachtree Corners or that area of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 06:23 PM
 
13,566 posts, read 22,018,249 times
Reputation: 4587
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
This has been brought up at dinner a few times lately. My wife and I have been in GA for years now. We moved to Marietta (rented for a short time, then purchased/renovated our home). We love our area, the kids' schools (they were in private initially, but once we purchased our house, we switched to public and are highly satisfied). Our oldest daughter will be going to college next fall. Our sons are still in middle and elementary Cobb County Schools.

The drive home has been a "chore" for the Mrs. recently . Commuting to Piedmont Hospital from Marietta is not that long, but the wife's been singing a different tune lately. I feel she wants to enjoy close to town amenities and activities. I have been and still am reluctant to move. I did tell her I'd be open to look at areas closer to town. We looked at Decatur (near Lavista area), Tucker and it's relative proximity to Buckhead. Our realtor took us to Smoke Rise recently, which I like (really nice older neighborhoods). I'm not saying I'm giving up on Marietta, but keeping an open mind, just in case.

How are the schools in both Tucker and Smoke Rise? From my online research, I am personally not impressed with school stats. They don't seem to be as diverse either in my opinion. I don't see the reason to pay higher property taxes, sub par public schools (The kids might end up having to go to private again ), just to save maybe 5-10 minutes in commute time. Does anyone live in either of the two areas? And can someone give me real life opinions/perspectives on these areas? Traffic in the AM? Shopping? Schools? Activities? Demographics (more than a realtor is legally allowed to say)? Stats are just that. I do it for a living, but there's something to be said with anecdotal evidence. Real life examples might help me steer her in the right direction. I'm not convinced yet. Anyone care to opine?

Any reasons why these areas make more sense for the family based on the single issue (which is honestly a perceived shorter commute)? I calculated the route via Google Maps (it won't be 100% accurate, but gives a good enough idea). I show her data, and she still thinks it would be beneficial to consider these areas. I don't see it. Nice homes, and perceived shorter commute are the only two pros that she can come up with. I don't have issues. I work from home 3 days and fly to NY/FL often. Airport drive is not bad for me. Atlanta traffic doesn't affect me like it does her, but not considering her commute and feelings is also a bit selfish. But again, the difference in commute times may not be worth selling a house, moving kids to a new school district/county, and start over. (I don't want to do any more major repairs in my spare time either).

Any one?

Where are y'all currently located in Marietta? Which cluster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Downtown Marietta
1,123 posts, read 773,409 times
Reputation: 1472
I can't see any of the eastern suburbs of Atlanta providing a better commute to Piedmont Hospital than Marietta, unless you are in far West Cobb or North Cobb. East-West commutes through the city at rush hour are pretty terrible.

Were I in your shoes, unless you wanted to go into the City of Atlanta proper, I would move as close to I-75 and/or Marietta Square as possible, giving you easier access to the amenities and dining/entertainment options of both Atlanta and the Square as well as an easier commute, while remaining in a good school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 07:41 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,042 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Reputation: 15172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
My parents live there. Smoke Rise is one of the few places I can think of where tony neighborhoods do not translate to good schools. It's a very nice area with decidedly mediocre schools. Not really much in the way of amenities outside of your basic shopping, but Decatur and the east side of Atlanta are relatively convenient via Hwy. 78.
This sums it up well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 07:42 PM
 
637 posts, read 420,688 times
Reputation: 748
I don’t think the commute would be much better from Smokerise unless you’re on the extreme north or western side of the Marietta zip code. You’d also have a slightly longer commute to the airport. Smokerise is a nice area, but as mentioned, it doesn’t translate into good schools. I think you’re better off in Marietta vs. Smokerise. The Lavista area or Tucker might offer a better commute, but the schools are hit or miss in Tucker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 07:45 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,042 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Reputation: 15172
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
I don’t think the commute would be much better from Smokerise unless you’re on the extreme north or western side of the Marietta zip code. You’d also have a slightly longer commute to the airport. Smokerise is a nice area, but as mentioned, it doesn’t translate into good schools. I think you’re better off in Marietta.
If schools are a concern, most definitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Lake Spivey, Georgia
1,957 posts, read 1,453,252 times
Reputation: 2172
Isn't the "Lavista area of Tucker" in fact in the much sought after "best high school inside the Perimeter" Lakeside High district instead of the Tucker High district like Smokerise and other "just outside the Perimeter" places further east? That may solve the poster's school problems and the Oak Grove Road area has VERY nice homes, too, just without the acreage of Smokerise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Atlanta,GA
2,671 posts, read 5,550,493 times
Reputation: 1165
First off, thank you all for the insightful replies. Keep em' coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Where are y'all currently located in Marietta? Which cluster?
We're in McNeel farms. Cheatham Hills/Lovinggood Middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Long time, no see.



Depends but Lavista/Hugh Howell usually heading towards to 285 in the morning and towards 78 in the evening.

Shopping, you have quick access to Tucker, Norcross, or Lilburn.

Schools are pretty average or below. Most people support the HS but the elementary and middle school seems to be majority private school hence the low scores.

Demographics seems to be a decent mix for the most part. Lilburn has more Indians and such. Most of Smokerise would lean to being a majority white area though.

I don't see how you would save any time though. Maybe if you choose Peachtree Corners or that area of town.
I lurk from time to time. Hope all is well. Long time indeed. Isn't Peachtree Corners closer to Duluth? Gwinnett side? Not sure I want to move to Gwinnett though. Commute to the airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
I can't see any of the eastern suburbs of Atlanta providing a better commute to Piedmont Hospital than Marietta, unless you are in far West Cobb or North Cobb. East-West commutes through the city at rush hour are pretty terrible.

Were I in your shoes, unless you wanted to go into the City of Atlanta proper, I would move as close to I-75 and/or Marietta Square as possible, giving you easier access to the amenities and dining/entertainment options of both Atlanta and the Square as well as an easier commute, while remaining in a good school district.
We're not that far from Marietta Square to be honest. I'm not complaining, she is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Isn't the "Lavista area of Tucker" in fact in the much sought after "best high school inside the Perimeter" Lakeside High district instead of the Tucker High district like Smokerise and other "just outside the Perimeter" places further east? That may solve the poster's school problems and the Oak Grove Road area has VERY nice homes, too, just without the acreage of Smokerise.

If I have to give up Marietta (serenity, good schools, good amount of land, lower taxes), it better be well worth it. So far, I just can't see giving it up. I suggested she look for work in Marietta/Kennesaw if she feels the commute is that bad (I don't see the benefit in leaving Cobb to be honest). She's a RNP. I'm sure she can find something closer. She just loves Piedmont/her staff etc. Someone's gonna have to make concessions.

I'm ok with driving to Atlanta, and enjoying the amenities the city of Atlanta offers on weekends, even weeknights if something comes up. I'm a city boy by birth, but love the outskirts/burbs way more. The space, the serenity (we're on 2 acres), no neighbors so close to us. I refuse to go back to daily hustle and bustle. The sound of Cicadas make me happy at night. (Weird to some maybe ) But I love it.

As soon as I get to Hartsfield-Jackson, all I look forward to, is my drive back to Marietta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top