Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:36 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,998,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
RC, do you really notice parents of older kids using the test scores to form their opinion of their kid's current school? That would be pretty lame, as you suggest.
I'm sure I've seen several people mention here that they've either moved from one area to another within the Atlanta metro due to poor school scores or they've decided to move their kids to private schools due to school scores.

Maybe I'm misremembering...?

In any case, many of the scores being bandied about are SO misleading (which we've been over before ad Nauseum) that I question their usefulness without a lot of other supplementary information.

Whatever. You didn't see this sort of thing in the Twin Cities at all. Maybe it's because the quality form school to school didn't seem to change all that much, or perhaps it's simply a different mindset. I don't really know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 11:42 PM

16,644 posts, read 29,343,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I'm sure I've seen several people mention here that they've either moved from one area to another within the Atlanta metro due to poor school scores or they've decided to move their kids to private schools due to school scores.

Maybe I'm misremembering...?

In any case, many of the scores being bandied about are SO misleading (which we've been over before ad Nauseum) that I question their usefulness without a lot of other supplementary information.

Whatever. You didn't see this sort of thing in the Twin Cities at all. Maybe it's because the quality form school to school didn't seem to change all that much, or perhaps it's simply a different mindset. I don't really know.

rcsteiner,

You're not "misremembering" at all...you're right on.

Keep it up.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:50 AM

19 posts, read 52,590 times
Marietta Daily Journal - Charter school cutting ties with Imagine

Trouble is also brewing at one of the two other charter schools Imagine operates under the authority of the Cobb School District.
Janis Stevenson, the mother of a rising second-grader at the kindergarten through eighth grade Imagine International Academy of Mableton, said it's been fruit basket turnover with principals at her school. Although the school is only headed into its third year, it is now on its fifth principal, she said.
Stevenson, who lives in Mableton and is the PTA secretary, said parents found out last week that Imagine officials declined to renew the contract of the Mableton school's fourth principal, Michael Rossano, and are bringing in a fifth principal this coming week.
"The parents are just befuddled," Stevenson said.
Monica Johnson, PTA co-vice president, who has a first- and fourth-grader at the Mableton school, said the instability hurts students and teachers.
"Every time we start over morale changes. When a new principal comes in the morale of the teachers is low and the morale of the students is low," Johnson said.
Johnson believes the problem is that Imagine does not provide its principals with the proper resources.
"When (Rossano) came in November, they let his assistant principal go and he didn't have money for a full time counselor," she said.
What motivates Imagine is not student achievement but the bottom line, Johnson believes.
"They're all about dollars and cents," she said.
Imagine officials did not respond to requests for comment.
"Imagine comes in with a great dog and pony show, but I don't know how they're still in business. There has to be stability," added Stevenson.
While she'd like her Mableton school to cut ties with Imagine just as the Kennesaw school is doing, Stevenson said the problem is that the contract is not up for a couple more years.
Marietta Schools Superintendent Dr. Emily Lembeck has also criticized Imagine officials in the past for misreporting No Child Left Behind data regarding Marietta Charter School, which it also manages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta