U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 09:06 AM

21,993 posts, read 33,880,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Your search says that last year it was bought for 30 million, and the new owners plan on putting another 25 million into the place. So, expect for the place to improve...and for none of the current residents to be there for the enjoyment of those improvements.
That is good news, indeed; however, I hope in future that it will continue to serve as a housing option fr people of limited means. This part of town is in sore need of that. They just need to be a bit more discerning in their approval process is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 09:17 AM

108 posts, read 37,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
It seems some people think DeKalb County has a bad reputation, and that Lithonia and Stone Mountain aren't good areas. But just driving around in those areas they seem decent. Lots of well educated people, nice houses that are well kept. There's the occasional foreclosure that's run down, but they aren't as common as in South Futlon and Clayton county. Overall this county as a whole seems like a nice place to live.
Honestly, some people will assume an area is bad based on the demographics without actually having any familiarity with it. DeKalb has plenty of nice areas, and not so nice areas just like any other county.

Despite what you may have heard, Stone Mountain and Lithonia aren't bad areas. It has well educated people, who care about their properties and communities. With that said, there are good and bad people everywhere no matter the city.

DeKalb's biggest downfall is its educational system, but I seem to have made it out okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I have always thought that were are beautiful areas and neighborhoods all over DeKalb County. And they continue to be beautiful.
Exactly.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:07 PM

1,993 posts, read 1,706,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
That is good news, indeed; however, I hope in future that it will continue to serve as a housing option fr people of limited means. This part of town is in sore need of that. They just need to be a bit more discerning in their approval process is all.
You spend 30 million to buy a place, and spend another 25 million to fix it up, only to keep rents anything close to the relatively cheap place they are now?—the math doesn’t really work for that.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
You spend 30 million to buy a place, and spend another 25 million to fix it up, only to keep rents anything close to the relatively cheap place they are now?—the math doesn’t really work for that.
True, and I wouldn't expect rents to remain static. I would like to see them avoid the whole 'luxury' trend and provide an affordable option for lower and middle income workers, however.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:37 PM

28,614 posts, read 25,382,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
True, and I wouldn't expect rents to remain static. I would like to see them avoid the whole 'luxury' trend and provide an affordable option for lower and middle income workers, however.
In addition, I'd like to see developers focus on creating QUALITY affordable housing that will stand the test of time.

The last thing this city needs is a slew of apartments that go to pot in 25-30 years. We don't have to look far to see the effect of that.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:02 PM

4,170 posts, read 3,854,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Town Down View Post
Honestly, some people will assume an area is bad based on the demographics without actually having any familiarity with it. DeKalb has plenty of nice areas, and not so nice areas just like any other county.

Despite what you may have heard, Stone Mountain and Lithonia aren't bad areas. It has well educated people, who care about their properties and communities. With that said, there are good and bad people everywhere no matter the city.

DeKalb's biggest downfall is its educational system, but I seem to have made it out okay.

Exactly.
I will agree with this, living there for 30 yrs now,but I wouldnt describe them as that good anymore either. Too much sketchy foot traffic in those areas now.

Would you walk a mile in either direction at night on Redan Rd, Covington Hwy, N or S Hairston, Panola Rd, or Memorial Drive form any of the major intersections. If you live in these area and have a car and can drive to where you needs, typically you are fine.

Too much section 8 was allowed into SE DeKalb and like that youtube video "South Dekalb then and now" pointed out as well, it has changed the area big time with so many renters there now.

Unless Dekalb PD gets really strict and lock up and keep in jail these juveniles committing alot of these crimes and the adults too, nothing will change. But they are short a few hundred officers, so the problems we hear on the news will continue to go on.

Dekalb County dealt with white flight in the 90's which allowed alot of black wealth for a while, but after the recession and the flood of renters, if all the crime is not addressed, DeKalb will have to deal with Black flight, which is probably already going on , as the decent folks left are thinking of or already have upped and moved, but Conyers has its issues too now as well.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Dekalb County dealt with white flight in the 90's
DeKalb was dealing with white flight well before then. The initial surge came on the heels of passage of Section 235 of the 1968 Federal Housing Act.
Section 235 was implemented to address housing inequities between whites and non-whites; it shifted the burden from federal subsidies of local housing authorities to providing direct, "supply-side" subsidies to stimulate non-white home ownership. It had, needless to say, many unexpected and far-reaching consequences in southern DeKalb County:

http://www2.tulane.edu/liberal-arts/...te-Unequal.pdf

Old 03-12-2018, 04:15 PM

108 posts, read 37,886 times
Quote:
I will agree with this, living there for 30 yrs now,but I wouldnt describe them as that good anymore either. Too much sketchy foot traffic in those areas now.

Would you walk a mile in either direction at night on Redan Rd, Covington Hwy, N or S Hairston, Panola Rd, or Memorial Drive form any of the major intersections. If you live in these area and have a car and can drive to where you needs, typically you are fine.

Too much section 8 was allowed into SE DeKalb and like that youtube video "South Dekalb then and now" pointed out as well, it has changed the area big time with so many renters there now.

Unless Dekalb PD gets really strict and lock up and keep in jail these juveniles committing alot of these crimes and the adults too, nothing will change. But they are short a few hundred officers, so the problems we hear on the news will continue to go on.

Dekalb County dealt with white flight in the 90's which allowed alot of black wealth for a while, but after the recession and the flood of renters, if all the crime is not addressed, DeKalb will have to deal with Black flight, which is probably already going on , as the decent folks left are thinking of or already have upped and moved, but Conyers has its issues too now as well.
Yeah they aren't bad areas, but they also aren't what they use to be, and could be better. I have an aunt who owns a place in Stone Mountain, but she moved to Norcross once the area started to decline. Now she's close to down Norcross which is a nice, quaint place. I like it a lot there.

DeKalb definitely needs more officers. Atlanta needs more officers in general.. some people were upset with Mayor Lance-Bottoms when she said the same thing, but I dunno why because it's true.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:17 PM

4,244 posts, read 5,870,724 times
Quote:

I agree with you about Dekalb. The lack of sidewalks, the trash and the amount of loitering helps lead to the areas looking sketch as well.

Conyers has the same spillover from S. Dekalb as well. Same issue in Southern Gwinnett as well. Major white flight of the old properties and cheap rents.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:46 PM

4 posts, read 841 times
DeKalb County is mostly ghetto and not taken care of by the people in most communities. There aren't many nice areas left at all. Besides some of the ones brought up in this thread. Mine as well not waste your time with DeKalb. I'm black and I wouldn't stay in DeKalb. Most people who lived in Georgia for years said DeKalb was fine until the 80s came. America in general shifted in the 80s. DeKalb use to be nice, clean and peaceful. Not anymore. It's done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or