U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 02:38 AM

1,615 posts, read 655,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't get all the hate on DeKalb. DeKalb covers everything from the hippest intown neighborhoods like Kirkwood, Oakhurst and East Lake, to grand old enclaves like Emory and Druid Hills, to granola-ish yuppie havens like Decatur and Avondale Estates, to up and coming cities like Chamblee, Tucker and Doraville, to elegant suburban communities such as Lakeside, Brookhaven and Dunwoody, to rock solid bastions of the upper middle class like Embry Hills, Valley Brook and North Druid Hills. And that's just scratching the surface. Areas such as Lithonia, Gresham Park, Stone Mountain, Candler McAfee and Arabia Mountain are all coming on strong.

No, DeKalb is not perfect, but it remains a core element of the ATL. To me it seems more resurgent than it's been in decades.
No one's "hating" on DeKalb County.

That said, the reality is parts of the county, mainly the southern half, has significant problems that turn potential residents off from living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 03:29 PM

1,330 posts, read 695,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
No one's "hating" on DeKalb County.

That said, the reality is parts of the county, mainly the southern half, has significant problems that turn potential residents off from living there.
Who choose where to live based on a COUNTY? I'm pretty sure most people just look at the city - Decatur, Avondale Estates, Brookhaven, and some of the best parts of Atlanta such as Lake Claire, Kirkwood, Candler Park, etc. I don't think anyone thinks of what county they are in because almost everything is handled by the city government. An invisible boundary doesn't make an area "closer" to a bad area. Parts of southern Fulton county are much closer to the "bad parts" of DeKalb (and the bad parts of Fulton) than are Brookhaven, Decatur, or CoA in DeKalb.

Old Today, 05:07 AM

546 posts, read 556,944 times
"Land owner's rights"

you must not know the history of the area.. If you owned land in Brookhaven in the eighties or nineties you were told to accept an offer or be forced off.. My family owned like one-eighth of Brookhaven before the UAE investor raid of the nineties..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or