Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 07:47 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2018 View Post
I appreciate you taking the time to give me a detailed explanation. Are there a lot of drug problems in any of the High Schools ?
As far as "drug problems", none of the high schools that are mentioned would be considered to be "crack schools". There's always a few kids, of course, but most of these schools are relatively new, with programs that meet the demands of discerning and demanding parents. The kids tend to be academically-driven towards college prep.

Unfortunately, one of the problems with an affluent area is that drugs tend to be easily obtainable for any kid with money in their pocket. Google "The Heroin Triangle" -- which is the nickname that was unfortunately given to the area from Buckhead north, between I-75 and I-85, up to Alpharetta, with a little fringe edging north. It's a perfect confluence of lots of money and opportunity. Most victims are under 35 years of age, and the segue from use of painkillers to heroin is well-documented. This is not unique to Atlanta, unfortunately, but is part of a nationwide epidemic. I don't mention this to scare you -- the overwhelming majority of kids grow up in this area without becoming heroin addicts -- but it's something that will pop up if you are specifically researching drug use in various areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 08:05 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
Quote:
Thank you cwkimbro, what I meant is if we cannot get in, I don't want my kids going to charter. Too hard a risk!
I don't know how charter schools are created in Michigan, but charter schools are well-accepted here. They are not targeted at "at risk" kids or "alternative" schools for problem kids. Most of these are schools that have lotteries because families want their kids to attend these schools, usually because of specific programming in arts or sciences.

Just a thought.

My kids went the private school route for their entire K-12 years, primarily because when the kids were 5-6, their local elementary was in transition and severely overcrowded, and after several successful years in their top-tier private school, it was just easier to stay there. Ironically, my mother, who lives in another state, was very upset that we were going the private school route, because in her experience where she lived, only kids who were in "trouble" went to private schools because the public schools were excellent.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:49 AM

44 posts, read 57,629 times
dblackga - You are right on the drug issue Nationwide! Charter schools are great here too, it is not just something which fits our families needs though.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:26 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
It's my understanding that in general, charter schools are viewed as a step up from regular public schools, not a step down. I've heard it said that they sometimes "cherry pick" the students with the best chances for success, leaving the regular public schools at a disadvantage.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:24 AM

Finally we have narrowed our High schools to two, Chattahoochee and Alpharetta high ? Any personal experiences you have on either one please do share.

Also does any one here have good experience with using realtors for renting a house ? Direct calling/emailing the property listed is not yielding any replies :-(

Old 03-27-2018, 05:45 AM

290 posts, read 368,968 times
Alpharetta High School will become more and more Asian (mostly Indian) and competitive in the next couple of years because the feeder middle school Webb Bridge this year is 32% Asian and the elementary school in the Alpharetta High School cluster, Creek View is 50% Asian.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:08 AM

Thank you ATLForr

Old 04-28-2018, 09:23 PM

5 posts, read 3,380 times
Quote:
Hello All,

We are moving to Atlanta from Michigan by July 2018. We will have a 8th grader and a 5th grader starting school this fall. Our focus is on High Schools right now, even though we still have another year before our older one starts High School.

Initially plan to rent for 6 months to get a feel of the area (not sure about the apartments in the areas either, we also have a furry child). Once the school is fixed, planning on buying a house around 3000 Sq. Ft within 450K.

We are planning on a school tours by the end of the month. We have narrowed it down to Forsyth and Fulton county schools, specifically Lambert, Chattahoochee, South Forsyth, Johns creek and Alpharetta High. We are interested in the AP/STEM/IB programs in these high schools, focusing on mainly academics without crazy competition. Planning on staying away from North view since heard about the crazy competition there.
Both my kids play soccer (not select, recreational), hence would like to know about the county/city teams there.

We have done our research online about diversity/schools etc., but would like to know the experiences and inputs of people who have kids going into High School. Michigan is very diverse, my kids love it here. Teenage can be hard without having to move schools, I am worried as to how tolerant the other kids there are to a new kid in school especially from another country,we are originally from India. How is the diversity there.

Thank you all for your inputs in advance!
So thankful for this thread. I'm heavily considering a move to Atlanta in the summer of 2019 (want to move before my little guy enters middle school). I actually live in Canton, MI as well! So I'm paying special attention the the advice here. Thanks for posting!

Old 04-30-2018, 07:19 AM

Default Canton Rocks :-)

Hello Summer2019,

Small world indeed! Good Luck with your move! Where in Atlanta are you planning on moving ? Feel free to reach out to me directly if you need any of my input.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:11 AM

Default Chattahoochee VS Johnscreek High School

Any one has any personal experience at John's Creek high ? Now the ultimate fore runners in our house house are Chattahoochee and Johns creek high. Any insight is appreciated. We really like Chattahoochee, trying to find more about Johns creek HS. We have to make a decision quickly. Please help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta