Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 01:12 AM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Actually, in terms of automating a trailer backing up, it shouldn't be too hard. My F-150 already has a trailer assist feature where the backup camera senses a sticker on the trailer, and you steer with a small knob under the main steering wheel. You just turn the knob in the direction you want the trailer to go and it steers accordingly. With that, all that's left to do is figure out how to send the trailer where you want it to go. But that's a lot harder when dealing with obstacles and such.
In a standard cakewalk warehouse I'm sure that would be easy to program... this one for example: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9680.../data=!3m1!1e3 should be easy and straight forward.

Some place that has limited space (and this is very common) and limited sight (also very common) and / or requires using public road ROW to initiate the process however will make thing exponentially more difficult.

In summary however... while we may have vehicles where autonomous features are optional in the near future...fully automated vehicles for the masses are still a long ways off for several big reasons (and what I mention below has nothing to do with those reasons, the reason's are more so economical reasons.)

Currently even automated breaking features are not fail proof nor are the deemed guaranteed, (in fact they are really only auxiliary and Manufactures push and re-push that human intuition is still necessary, or basically don't just expect the car to stop for you.).. Recently I test drove an 2018 Infiniti Q60 S (400 HP twin turbo 3.0L sports coupe), came fully loaded including cameras on every angle of the vehicle and even a "top view" showing your vehicle's relationship to its surroundings on all four sides. On top of which it includes collision detection (automated braking) and lane awareness (meaning if you veer out of the lane, it should beep and warn you and possibly even auto-correct). I decided to attempt to put the system to test... when there was no traffic around me, without using the turn signal..I allowed it to slowly veer to toward the left lane... ...you know what happened? ...absolutely nothing. No warnings, no auto-correction, no beeping, no illuminators...it was going to keep on letting me veer off... you know who corrected the vehicle?... Me...

Sorry, but I'm not trusting my life to a computer in control of a 4,000 lb machine, computers are unforgiving and are not intuitive, they are precise and their conditioning must also be precise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 07:51 AM

221 posts, read 189,956 times
You can't compare the hyped up junk that infinity puts in their cars with the high tech stuff that companies like Google's Waymo are working on.

You may think you are a great driver and that is fine, but there are a LOT of drivers out there that are not. In the future, I would rather trust a computer designed by the best engineers in the world as opposed to some idiot knucklehead that is driving on a suspended license with no insurance.

Way too many automobile fatalities each year. Companies will make sure that their autonomous vehicles are as safe as can be. Otherwise, they will be wide open to lawsuits. Also, due to concerned citizens like yourself, there will be legislation passed to ensure the safety of these vehicles.

I agree that we are still a ways off, and depending on your age this might not matter to you. You may be long gone by the time these things hit critical mass. This technology is ultimately a good and will reduce road collisions and fatalities, making road transit much safer for future generations.

I know two classmates that have passed when I was in high school, both of them to automobiles collisions. Let's try to get these 4000lb machines out of the hands of dangerous and drunk drivers, please.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:38 AM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
You can't compare the hyped up junk that infinity puts in their cars with the high tech stuff that companies like Google's Waymo are working on.

You may think you are a great driver and that is fine, but there are a LOT of drivers out there that are not. In the future, I would rather trust a computer designed by the best engineers in the world as opposed to some idiot knucklehead that is driving on a suspended license with no insurance.
Yeah but you see my thing against this and what I feel that too many people are severely overlooking, is that driving is not mandatory, it is not even a right. It is a privilege. There does not HAVE to be as many idiots on the highway as there are today - it could easily be cut back but they ALLOW it. The reason is, Driving is a tax. It brings the state income, car registration, Ad Valorem tax, Gas Tax, Driving infraction fines, ect.. the system is DESIGNED to promote the kind of drivers we have on the road today and only eliminate the ones that have gone just too far, but as long as you're willing to pay you can sit behind the wheel all day long, and that likely will not change with the introduction of Self Driving Vehicles, it will impact far too many industries (Taxi's, Automotive recreation scenes, Truck Drivers, ect)

The real issue is that the system allows for the kind of drivers we have on the road. When is the last time you had to retake a driver's exam? Unless you get X amount of points, you only have to pay a fee and boom you're behind the wheel. How difficult was the drivers exam when you last took it? For me I could have passed with with my eyes closed.

Thus this is why I am not for AV's suddenly taking over just because we let a bunch of yeehaws get away with stuff on the road. 98% of accidents occur because people are not paying attention and are putting priorities above driving, not because car's are unsafe or the roads likewise it is because a choice they make not to be responsible behind the wheel and coupled with the fact that most of these people never should have gotten a license to begin with... yeah...

Old 03-19-2018, 01:12 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,121 times
First self-driving car death of pedestrian...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...led-in-arizona

Old 03-19-2018, 01:15 PM

198 posts, read 148,893 times
Uber pulls self-driving cars after first fatal crash of autonomous vehicle - Mar. 19, 2018

Old 03-19-2018, 01:28 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,461 times
I don't know a lot about Uber's system, but with Waymo's they can use the sensor's data to recreate the accident and there wouldn't be any question about who is at fault.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:45 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
For self-driving cars, dealing with pedestrians and bicyclists is a challenging task. The self-driving industry has found quicker success with highway driving, which is a less complicated environment.
No crap, been saying this for awhile now.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:13 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Very sad.

Also very curious to see what the crash report says. Most (if not all) of the accidents with AVs so far have been the fault of the other driver.

To the haters: While this is tragic, on average over 4 people die a vehicular death every day in Georgia alone. Our current situation is the real tragedy.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:16 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Very sad.

Also very curious to see what the crash report says. Most (if not all) of the accidents with AVs so far have been the fault of the other driver.

To the haters: While this is tragic, on average over 4 people die a vehicular death every day in Georgia alone. Our current situation is the real tragedy.
And our solution is BUILD MORE LANES!

Old 03-19-2018, 02:27 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
I don't know a lot about Uber's system, but with Waymo's they can use the sensor's data to recreate the accident and there wouldn't be any question about who is at fault.
Even if the fault was the pedestrian (wow, pedestrian blaming on here? Who'da thunk?) a human drive can do something no computer can, or ever will: predict. How many times are you in traffic and think "that guy wants to come over" or maybe more relevant here "that guy is about to step off the curb." None of that is based on data, they don't make any movements, or have any particular posture that you can put to numbers and data that they're about to do something, yet we're usually right. Sure, the person may be at fault for stepping into the road, but if a person were driving, could they have prevent this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
And our solution is BUILD MORE LANES!
One has nothing to do with the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta