Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 07:10 AM
fzx

399 posts, read 509,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Interesting article. I would have thought after President Barack Hussein Obama that people would be more reluctant to say that any person would not be able to win any office based on race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

Also, after Trump's win, call me naive, but I am much more wary of assuming that some candidates are inevitable winners when they are opposed by scrappy, unconventional underdogs. The times we live in are just way too unpredictable and just hope that all Georgia voters who are unhappy with the status quo get out to vote.

I keep reading about all of these Democratic victories in GOP strongholds across the country--So why can't that be Georgia??
Gubernatorial election is about the state economy while representative/senator elections are about national issues and partisan agenda. As the economy is booming across the country, I see less of issue of gubernatorial elections.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:16 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,309,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzx View Post
Gubernatorial election is about the state economy while representative/senator elections are about national issues and partisan agenda. As the economy is booming across the country, I see less of issue of gubernatorial elections.
Unless the media and Democrats can point to how religious freedom nonsense will disrupt the status quo and really hurt the economy. If anyone thinks passing anti-LGBT bills in this state isn't going to lead to a massive exodus of big name companies, events, and relocations, they're kidding themselves. It's 2018, and that sort of bigotry just doesn't work anymore. Specifically with Hollywood, which is very left leaning, we can kiss our billion dollar film industry goodbye.

The last dying gasp of the extremely religious/far-right conservatives can really bring down our state if we let it. They know the world is becoming more accepting of people and lifestyles they don't agree with, and they don't care if they have to "burn down the house" to keep their discrimination legal.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:45 AM
fzx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Unless the media and Democrats can point to how religious freedom nonsense will disrupt the status quo and really hurt the economy. If anyone thinks passing anti-LGBT bills in this state isn't going to lead to a massive exodus of big name companies, events, and relocations, they're kidding themselves. It's 2018, and that sort of bigotry just doesn't work anymore. Specifically with Hollywood, which is very left leaning, we can kiss our billion dollar film industry goodbye.

The last dying gasp of the extremely religious/far-right conservatives can really bring down our state if we let it. They know the world is becoming more accepting of people and lifestyles they don't agree with, and they don't care if they have to "burn down the house" to keep their discrimination legal.
I am not for religious freedom agenda, but I cannot agree with your conclusion. Media overstates the impact of social issues.

Target tried to ride the wave of religious freedom and changed its bathroom policy. It ends up spending millions to build a third non gender specific bathroom in stores as foot traffic in the south took a hit. I am very curious to see Dick's numbers after it changed the gun policy. Silent majority is very powerful. Being quiet on these issues.

I hope we can select a pragmatic governor instead of an ideological one.

Last edited by fzx; 04-12-2018 at 07:53 AM..

Old 04-12-2018, 08:08 AM

23,318 posts, read 43,776,504 times
Quote:
It's worked for the last eight years.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:07 AM

815 posts, read 701,407 times
Quote:
I am not for religious freedom agenda, but I cannot agree with your conclusion. Media overstates the impact of social issues.

Target tried to ride the wave of religious freedom and changed its bathroom policy. It ends up spending millions to build a third non gender specific bathroom in stores as foot traffic in the south took a hit. I am very curious to see Dick's numbers after it changed the gun policy. Silent majority is very powerful. Being quiet on these issues.

There is no silent majority on this issue, just a very vocal minority. There is no evidence that Target lost sales due to its bathroom policy. I checked and all I saw was a bunch of links to Breitbart-type websites. Also, polls show that Americans are about evenly split on the bathroom issue and that Americans are starting to view transgender Americans more favorably. A significant percentage just don't care either way.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:23 AM
fzx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
There is no silent majority on this issue, just a very vocal minority. There is no evidence that Target lost sales due to its bathroom policy. I checked and all I saw was a bunch of links to Breitbart-type websites. Also, polls show that Americans are about evenly split on the bathroom issue and that Americans are starting to view transgender Americans more favorably. A significant percentage just don't care either way.
there was a long wsj report on that but you can call it fake news. FYI, co does not disclose regional topline.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:56 PM

10,333 posts, read 11,325,679 times
Here's a very interesting report that multiple high-profile metro Atlanta business leaders and Delta Airlines' employees quietly started making financial donations to the 2 Democratic gubernatorial candidates (Stacey Abrams and Stacey Evans) after the flap between Georgia Lt. Governor and leading Republican gubernatorial candidate Casey Cagle and Delta Airlines over the airlines' discontinuance of discounts for NRA convention travelers...

Quote:
ATLANTA -- In the days after Georgia Republicans exacted political revenge on Delta Air Lines, several high-profile business leaders and airline executives quietly threw their support behind one of the two Democrats running for governor.

An Atlanta Journal-Constitution analysis of recently released financial disclosures shows that some of the state's top businessmen and high-ranking Delta employees ponied up thousands of dollars in donations to ex-state Rep. Stacey Evans and former House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams shortly after Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle vowed to "kill" a jet fuel tax exemption that would have saved the airline about $40 million annually.
"Delta flap moves execs to donate to Georgia Democrats" (WRAL from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
Delta flap moves execs to donate to Georgia Democrats :: WRAL.com

One really interesting note in the article was that powerful Atlanta real estate developer and Chief Executive Officer of Cousins Properties, Larry Gellerstadt, one of the most powerful executives in metro Atlanta and Georgia who has only given donations to Republicans in the past (including Casey Cagle), gave $2,000 to Democratic gubernatorial candidate Stacey Evans out of anger that Cagle's attacks on Delta over NRA discounts jeopardized Atlanta's bid for Amazon's second headquarters.

And while many executives who donated money to Democratic gubernatorial candidates did so out of anger that Republican Georgia Lt. Governor and gubernatorial candidate Casey Cagle was attacking the state's largest private employer in Delta Airlines, some executives were angry that Cagle did not push back hard enough against the tax exemption for Delta from the very beginning before the airline's disaffiliation with the NRA.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:28 AM

A very detailed and exhaustive rundown of fundraising efforts by each candidate in the 2018 Georgia gubernatorial race by the Cobb County newspaper of official public record, the politically adept Marietta Daily Journal...

Quote:
Despite a limited time to raise campaign cash this winter, Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle maintains a healthy fundraising lead on his Republican opponents in the race to become Georgia’s next governor.

Meanwhile, the funding gap between the two Democrat candidates seeking the office has deepened, with former Georgia House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams earning three times as many contributions than former state Rep. Stacey Evans within two months’ time.
"Cagle carrying most cash; Abrams attracts $1M in latest fundraising period in governor's race" (Marietta Daily Journal)
Cagle carrying most cash; Abrams attracts $1M in latest fundraising period in governor's race | News | mdjonline.com

One item that really stuck out from that article is that the $1 million-plus that Stacey Abrams raised over a two-month period earlier this year was the most of than any other candidate in the race, Democrat, Republican or otherwise, during that two-month period.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:43 AM

With early signs that a Democratic Party or 'Blue' wave could wash over much of the country this November because of much energy from progressives in the form of spirited opposition to the continuing volatility of Donald Trump's presidential administration and the controversy of his political movement, veteran Georgia political reporter Tom Crawford asks if the deep-red Republican-dominated state of Georgia will be one of the places affected by that potential national blue wave...

"Will a Blue Wave Wash Over Georgia This November?" (Tom Crawford/Georgia Report)
Georgia Report: Will a Blue Wave Wash Over Georgia This November? | Flagpole Magazine | Athens, GA News, Music, Arts, Restaurants

From the article in the link:
Quote:
But there’s a possibility the wave could miss Georgia completely at the congressional level. That’s because skillful gerrymandering by the Republican leadership in the [Georgia] General Assembly has drawn a set of congressional districts that are so deep red they’re almost fire-proof.
Crawford goes on to write that of the 10 Georgia congressional seats that Republicans currently hold, only 2 of them (District 6 held by Karen Handel of Roswell, and District 7 held by Rob Woodall of Lawrenceville) look like they have the potential to be remotely competitive for Democrats in the general election this fall.

Crawford says that 7 of the remaining 8 congressional seats that Republicans control in Georgia most likely will not be even remotely competitive thanks to some expertly skillful gerrymandering on the part of the Republicans that dominate the Georgia General Assembly.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:00 AM

The Board of Directors of LGBTQ rights advocacy group Georgia Equality formally endorses former Georgia House Minority Leader Stacey Abrams to be the 83rd governor of the state of Georgia. Georgia Equality is the largest LGBTQ rights advocacy group in the state of Georgia.

"Georgia Equality endorses Abrams for governor" (Georgia Voice)
https://thegavoice.com/georgia-equal...-for-governor/

Last week, Georgia Equality released its first round of endorsements for the Democratic Primary elections before endorsing Stacey Abrams this week.

Georgia Equality made endorsements in 4 statewide Democratic primary races, 4 Georgia Senate races, and 25 Georgia House Democratic primary races.

"Georgia Equality releases first endorsement list" (Georgia Voice, 16 April 2018)
https://thegavoice.com/georgia-equal...orsement-list/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta