Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 02:58 PM

492 posts, read 535,846 times

Advertisements

Here is the link to a recent article that lists Milton as the wealthiest city in Georgia.

https://www.homesnacks.net/richest-p...eorgia-126062/

I have a friend whose firm deals with Commercial real estate like shopping centers and strip malls and they recently worked on a shopping center deal in Milton and he was commenting that the prices in Milton reminded him of West Coast..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 03:21 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
Buckhead is in the City of Atlanta (Atlanta 30305, 30326, 30327) unless you mean the tiny Hamlet in Morgan County ;0)

Old 03-21-2018, 04:37 PM

492 posts, read 535,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Buckhead is in the City of Atlanta (Atlanta 30305, 30326, 30327) unless you mean the tiny Hamlet in Morgan County ;0)
You are right. Buckhead as a city of it's own would edge out or be very close to Milton..

Old 03-21-2018, 06:29 PM

198 posts, read 153,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAtlanta View Post
Here is the link to a recent article that lists Milton as the wealthiest city in Georgia.

https://www.homesnacks.net/richest-p...eorgia-126062/

I have a friend whose firm deals with Commercial real estate like shopping centers and strip malls and they recently worked on a shopping center deal in Milton and he was commenting that the prices in Milton reminded him of West Coast..

Do you honestly believe a "wealthiest cities in Georgia" ranking that lists Braselton at #2 and Pooler (didn't know that was a place) at #3?

Old 03-21-2018, 07:07 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1404 View Post
Do you honestly believe a "wealthiest cities in Georgia" ranking that lists Braselton at #2 and Pooler (didn't know that was a place) at #3?
I'll admit it is a slightly suspect list, but I wouldn't be too dismissive of Braselton.

Braselton is booming right now. They annexed Chateau Elan and a large amount of new high-end housing developments around it.

There is already a second country club, the development of additional golf courses, and a $700m mixed use suburban development planned in the area.

I'm a little concerned about selective runaway annexation in the area though. I'm afraid it could cause a political mess that the city currently is in 4 different counties: Gwinnett, Hall, Jackson, and Barrow.

Each city has to negotiate local taxes & services with each county. Georgia law even provides ways for counties to keep a city from annexing into its borders without negotiating, unless the city is already present within that county. So as they are about go get hit by a upper-middle class suburban boom, they have easy annexation across borders in 4 different counties.

It will be interesting to watch in the next 5-15 years. You should see some aggressive expansion and some sporadic demographic changes.

Pooler I don't know much about. It is just a middle class suburb of Savannah.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:47 AM

11,801 posts, read 8,008,183 times
I haven't read through the whole thread, however; I feel this map only tells half the story, you can easily make over $100k a year and still be living in poverty like conditions...especially if thats only household income....EASILY... Case in point, $100k household income won't do you much good in a place like Alpharetta in a $600,000 house versus in a place like McDonough at a $60K Household income in a $175,000 house... and there's tons more variables than just that..so don't be mislead at just looking at income... EXPENSES are where the real story lies.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I haven't read through the whole thread, however; I feel this map only tells half the story, you can easily make over $100k a year and still be living in poverty like conditions...especially if thats only household income....EASILY... Case in point, $100k household income won't do you much good in a place like Alpharetta in a $600,000 house versus in a place like McDonough at a $60K Household income in a $175,000 house... and there's tons more variables than just that..so don't be mislead at just looking at income... EXPENSES are where the real story lies.
Cost of Living Adjustment....

very common argument

But this use is a little perplexing tbh.

It is used in the Atlanta vs. Boston vs San Francisco vs Padukah, KY all the time.

The problem is within the Atlanta market there are people who can't live and work in Alpharetta, but two-fold...

1) people still live a ways away and commute in

2) There is actually some cheaper rental housing in Alpharetta

and a third... 3).... I'm sorry anyone in the Atlanta area that makes a $100k salary isn't living in poverty like conditions anywhere....

Old 03-22-2018, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Cost of Living Adjustment....

very common argument

But this use is a little perplexing tbh.

It is used in the Atlanta vs. Boston vs San Francisco vs Padukah, KY all the time.

The problem is within the Atlanta market there are people who can't live and work in Alpharetta, but two-fold...

1) people still live a ways away and commute in

2) There is actually some cheaper rental housing in Alpharetta

and a third... 3).... I'm sorry anyone in the Atlanta area that makes a $100k salary isn't living in poverty like conditions anywhere....
If you have 4 + kids plus your own expenses, rent, utilities, vehicular expenses, you'll quickly find yourself bottlenecked at $100k household income. $100k house hold income is fairly common, all it takes is a husband and wife both making $50k. OR one of them making $75k and the other doing something part time. My Brother in law was making $125k while my sister does real estate and her money potential is quite high, but so are her expenses, and they chose to live in Midtown...even making nearly $220k a year, quite often are they asking us for groceries.

$100k is cool but even while I was making that, it wasn't a game changer and is often still considered middle class in many circles.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
If you have 4 + kids plus your own expenses, rent, utilities, vehicular expenses, you'll quickly find yourself bottlenecked at $100k household income. $100k house hold income is fairly common, all it takes is a husband and wife both making $50k. OR one of them making $75k and the other doing something part time. My Brother in law was making $125k while my sister does real estate and her money potential is quite high, but so are her expenses, and they chose to live in Midtown...even making nearly $220k a year, quite often are they asking us for groceries.

$100k is cool but even while I was making that, it wasn't a game changer and is often still considered middle class in many circles.
You're comparing a $100k income for a 6 person family living in "poverty-like conditions"

*** Stop ***

back-up... re-think.

Don't mistake having a tight middle/upper-middle class budget because you're budgeting and using all of your month-to-month funds as being anywhere near to poverty like conditions.

If they *chose* to live in Midtown on that salary and can't make ends meet.... That is because they made a stupid decision, not because they are in poverty-like conditions.

Many people work in that area, make far less, and make ends meet by making proper decisions on where and how to live.

People are not entitled to be able to live in any costly neighborhood.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
You're comparing a $100k income for a 6 person family living in "poverty-like conditions"

*** Stop ***

back-up... re-think.

Don't mistake having a tight middle/upper-middle class budget because you're budgeting and using all of your month-to-month funds as being anywhere near to poverty like conditions.

If they *chose* to live in Midtown on that salary and can't make ends meet.... That is because they made a stupid decision, not because they are in poverty-like conditions.

Many people work in that area, make far less, and make ends meet by making proper decisions on where and how to live.

People are not entitled to be able to live in any costly neighborhood.
True, and point taken about choosing midtown... but what I am more so saying is that while the income shows higher in alot of those areas, the picture may not be as green and beautiful as some might imagine because along with the higher income alot of those areas are much more expensive to live in. So basically one with less income in say Stockbridge may be fairing just as well with one with much more income in Alpharetta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta