Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 01:42 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
My instincts are to look to the south and west as well. For years I-20 seemed to form an invisible barrier to gentrification, but that has changed due to several factors:

The Beltline.
The imminent opening of Bellwood Park.
The resurgence of Downtown.
A large segment of potential buyers being priced out of the fashionable neighborhoods to the north and east.
A growing desire to be located close to the city center.

I'd call it a well-placed bet.
I consider just about anything ITB to be a safe bet if you're looking for long term buy and hold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 01:50 PM

221 posts, read 189,992 times
Yep, those people that scoffed at others for buying places in "bad areas" are now complaining that they cannot afford to buy anything in those same areas years later. Don't be one of those guys.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:55 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I consider just about anything ITB to be a safe bet if you're looking for long term buy and hold.
This house is a five minute walk from a MARTA rail station.

https://www.redfin.com/GA/Atlanta/13.../home/24862061

A situation like this no longer exists in the other three quadrants of the city, nor will it ever again.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:22 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Don't feel too bad.

People always forget about opportunity costs in discussions about property. They also forget about it in rent vs. buy discussions.

The S&P 500 in the last 5 years has doubled. If you had the $100k and kept it invested instead of in Real Estate it would be worth over $200k now.

Even if you just held onto the downpayment for that condo and kept your savings rate slightly higher and kept that invested, you would have outpaced the gains of the cost of that unit, especially given other condo expenses.

Buying property is usually best when you have the abilities to make a short-term positive improvement for gain or when you want to buy it for yourself and own needs and sink your personal housing expenses into it, while trying to make some gains.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:32 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
Maybe considering taking a leap of faith and buying in a "less desirable" part in town (west side?). Those who bought cheap in midtown, etc, before all the development are reaping the rewards right now.

If you wait until an area becomes desirable, you're going to have to pay a premium for it. Up and coming areas can be had for a more affordable price right now.
I’m in the market for a high-rise. I’ll probably end up downtown as it’s obviously cheaper than red hot midtown. Only so many high rises in the ATL.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:31 AM

561 posts, read 781,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
My instincts are to look to the south and west as well. For years I-20 seemed to form an invisible barrier to gentrification, but that has changed due to several factors:

The Beltline.
The imminent opening of Bellwood Park.
The resurgence of Downtown.
A large segment of potential buyers being priced out of the fashionable neighborhoods to the north and east.
A growing desire to be located close to the city center.

I'd call it a well-placed bet.
Exactly. Mechanicsville and Summerhill are starting to catch fire right now. There are $300-$400k townhomes being built in these neighborhoods right now. Pretty soon, they will be out of reach too.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:39 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,818 times
I buy and flip condos (among other property types). Started in 2011. Right place, right time (right time to be laid off).

I've flipped about 100 properties.

If I had just held onto about 10-15 of them I would have made roughly the same money without all the work.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:15 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
The housing I'm looking at right now is completely absurd. I don't know what to do.

I'm no real estate expert, but forking out money for a house that was worth 50% less 3 years ago just makes me want to hold off on buying. That just doesn't seem like it will hold up. I wish Amazon would hurry up and say no to Atlanta. I want to buy a house at a relatively reasonable price and that just isn't possible right now.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:26 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
The housing I'm looking at right now is completely absurd. I don't know what to do.

I'm no real estate expert, but forking out money for a house that was worth 50% less 3 years ago just makes me want to hold off on buying. That just doesn't seem like it will hold up. I wish Amazon would hurry up and say no to Atlanta. I want to buy a house at a relatively reasonable price and that just isn't possible right now.
Didn't they already say no? I thought the second HQ is gonna be in Austin.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:32 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,979 times
If it's a house you like, that's reasonably affordable (not too high debt to income), just go for it. You may wait for a crash that will never come. 50% means it was either undervalued or the area became more desirable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...using/atlanta/
Some areas are structurally on the upswing. My grandma's house in Stone Mountain has barely appreciated since 1997, while my mom's house in Suwanee is Atlanta is up 25% since 2004. Areas in town are going up crazier because people want to live where the jobs are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta