Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 09:15 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Yes, it's being started by a Harvard grad. It's an Acton Academy.

https://www.theforest.school/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
It will be a very VERY small school and only enroll a handful of students per grade.
Whatever. The people of Pine Forest and West Fayetteville will hopefully support Cleveland Elementary and Flat Rock Middle/Sandy Creek High or Bennett's Mill Middle/Fayette County High.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 09:34 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes, I forgot to mention the magnet programs as well.

And I agree with you--I've been thinking for a while now that it is high time for Fayette County Schools to add two magnet programs--one at Fayette County High and one at Sandy Creek. One should be Performing/Fine Arts and the other should be Engineering/STEM or IB.[/i]
Your vision is becoming reality!

Sandy Creek High is now home of the county’s STEM Academy which was started last year. A performing arts center and HUGE (huge!) band addition is currently under construction at Fayette County High, due to open this fall. Then the current fine arts wing will be reconfigured to better accommodate the choral, orchestra, and drama departments. FCHS reinvented its TV broadcasting program a couple years ago when an aggressive new faculty member came on board and won a bunch of grant money to upgrade equipment and facilities, and there’s talk of turning that into a full-fledged film / TV magnet program in cooperation with Georgia Film Academy, which of course is also based in Fayetteville.

Despite the shift in demographics, both high schools maintain a lot of pride and support in their community clusters — FCHS for its oustsanding fine arts program and history as the “legacy” high school in the county, and SCHS for its athletic excellence. And of course, both still maintain strong academic standings. There are people in Peachtree City who will always look down on the other schools in the county regardless, but those of us who know better just laugh them off. FCHS and SCHS are still desirable schools for many families who value a well-rounded education, strong sense of community and DIVERSITY.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:

Sandy Creek High is now home of the county’s STEM Academy which was started last year. A performing arts center and HUGE (huge!) band addition is currently under construction at Fayette County High, due to open this fall. Then the current fine arts wing will be reconfigured to better accommodate the choral, orchestra, and drama departments. FCHS reinvented its TV broadcasting program a couple years ago when an aggressive new faculty member came on board and won a bunch of grant money to upgrade equipment and facilities, and there’s talk of turning that into a full-fledged film / TV magnet program in cooperation with Georgia Film Academy, which of course is also based in Fayetteville.

Despite the shift in demographics, both high schools maintain a lot of pride and support in their community clusters — FCHS for its oustsanding fine arts program and history as the “legacy” high school in the county, and SCHS for its athletic excellence. And of course, both still maintain strong academic standings. There are people in Peachtree City who will always look down on the other schools in the county regardless, but those of us who know better just laugh them off. FCHS and SCHS are still desirable schools for many families who value a well-rounded education, strong sense of community and DIVERSITY.
Yes...both Sandy Creek High and Fayette County High are fantastic schools.

Two questions--will the STEM Academy at Sandy Creek and the Performing Arts at FCHS become magnet programs? Meaning, would top and/or talented students from throughout Fayette County be able to apply and attend the programs?

Old 03-21-2018, 09:55 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Yes...both Sandy Creek High and Fayette County High are fantastic schools.

Two questions--will the STEM Academy at Sandy Creek and the Performing Arts at FCHS become magnet programs? Meaning, would top and/or talented students from throughout Fayette County be able to apply and attend the programs?
I’m pretty certain they can for STEM at SCHS. The FCHS program is still in the discussion phase, and will most likely end up being a film / TV magnet than a fine arts magnet (since all the high schools have good fine arts programs already). There’s a ton of interest for TV / film among the high school age population in Fayette County, for obvious reasons.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I’m pretty certain they can for STEM at SCHS. The FCHS program is still in the discussion phase, and will most likely end up being a film / TV magnet than a fine arts magnet (since all the high schools have good fine arts programs already). There’s a ton of interest for TV / film among the high school age population in Fayette County, for obvious reasons.
A Film/TV Magnet would be great.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:23 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:

That is really great news that Fayette County Public Schools is continuing to upgrade their curriculum and educational offerings as Fayette County continues to grow and become more developed and dynamic, particularly with the explosion of the Television and Film Production industry in the county.

It shows that Fayette County is really embracing the demographic and developmental changes that have been thrown its way, and it shows that Fayette County is really looking towards and is excited about the future.

One really cannot state enough how awesome it is for a county like Fayette (that in the past often has been a reluctant member county of the Atlanta metro area) to become a major center and focal point of industrial and economic activity for the Atlanta metropolitan area as the home of one of the largest television and film production studios in the Western Hemisphere in Pinewood Atlanta Studios... That is in contrast to the not-so-distant past when many residents in the county sometime seemed to wish that the county could detach and/or disassociate itself from the rest of metro Atlanta.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:21 PM

25 posts, read 27,889 times
Quote:
Yes, I forgot to mention the magnet programs as well.

And I agree with you--I've been thinking for a while now that it is high time for Fayette County Schools to add two magnet programs--one at Fayette County High and one at Sandy Creek. One should be Performing/Fine Arts and the other should be Engineering/STEM or IB.

As for the Nickajack district--I think it is one of few areas in Metro Atlanta that is truly racially mixed without being in "transition" or...with the whites only as "OWPs."

The Nickajack district has a high number of middle/upper-middle class white and black families living side-by-side and sending their kids to the school...side-by-side. And the area is popular and sought-after.*

*The reason I think the Nickajack district is popular with the black and white upper-middle class are:
1. For whites: The close-in, quasi-intown location. Location, location, location.
2. For Blacks: Location...but also that the area is legitimately racially mixed and beautiful. Without feeling "redneck-y."
West Cobb, Hillgrove school district is extremely diverse. One of the places we are looking as well. Fayette County is still extremely high on our families list though.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:33 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diverseFam View Post
West Cobb, Hillgrove school district is extremely diverse. One of the places we are looking as well. Fayette County is still extremely high on our families list though.
There is a significant distance geographically between Fayette County in the southern suburbs and West Cobb in the northwestern suburbs.

A good determinant of where one should live in metro Atlanta is often where they will be commuting to and from for work each day.

Where in the Atlanta metro area will you be commuting to and from for work each day?

Diverse communities with excellent schools can pretty much be found in almost every direction of the compass in the Atlanta metro area, particularly within about a 10-county core part of the metro area that includes diverse areas with excellent schools like (in addition to the aforementioned Fayette County and West Cobb County) Coweta County, Henry County, Douglas County, North Cobb County, East Cobb County, North Fulton County, North DeKalb County and Gwinnett County.

A still predominantly-white area like South Forsyth County is quickly becoming more diverse with a fast-growing Hispanic population and an exploding Asian population that is spilling over from neighboring North Fulton and Gwinnett counties.

Meanwhile, areas like Rockdale and Newton counties get honorable mentions for families who like far-outer suburban living but may be on a somewhat limited housing budget while working along the I-20 East corridor in suburban East metro Atlanta.

North Fayette and West Cobb are two amazing areas to look for housing, particularly as far as school quality goes.

But with the ongoing traffic congestion concerns in the Atlanta metro area, one more than likely should take great care to make sure that they will be living in a high-quality area that will limit their time commutes to and from work as much as possible, particularly if said commute has to be done during or around rush hour.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverseFam View Post
Yes, Hillgrove is diverse.

Roughly 30-35% Black.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:26 PM

25 posts, read 27,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
There is a significant distance geographically between Fayette County in the southern suburbs and West Cobb in the northwestern suburbs.

A good determinant of where one should live in metro Atlanta is often where they will be commuting to and from for work each day.

Where in the Atlanta metro area will you be commuting to and from for work each day?

Diverse communities with excellent schools can pretty much be found in almost every direction of the compass in the Atlanta metro area, particularly within about a 10-county core part of the metro area that includes diverse areas with excellent schools like (in addition to the aforementioned Fayette County and West Cobb County) Coweta County, Henry County, Douglas County, North Cobb County, East Cobb County, North Fulton County, North DeKalb County and Gwinnett County.

A still predominantly-white area like South Forsyth County is quickly becoming more diverse with a fast-growing Hispanic population and an exploding Asian population that is spilling over from neighboring North Fulton and Gwinnett counties.

Meanwhile, areas like Rockdale and Newton counties get honorable mentions for families who like far-outer suburban living but may be on a somewhat limited housing budget while working along the I-20 East corridor in suburban East metro Atlanta.

North Fayette and West Cobb are two amazing areas to look for housing, particularly as far as school quality goes.

But with the ongoing traffic congestion concerns in the Atlanta metro area, one more than likely should take great care to make sure that they will be living in a high-quality area that will limit their time commutes to and from work as much as possible, particularly if said commute has to be done during or around rush hour.
I work in the city so commute time for me now is a breeze. I take the train into the city as I live right outside the city. We are extremely fimiliar and comfortable with Fayette County. It is number 1 on our list.

If we move to the Cobb area my wife will probably not work. We move to Fayette the wife can keep her job as she works in Fairburn.

From my research... My 12min train commute will turn into a 45min to 60min commute not matter if I commute from Eat Cobb, West Cobb or Fayette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta