Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 11:54 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm not saying you personally shouldn't care, however; I am saying that overall between both metro's it's not enough of a deal breaker for one to make a decision based on.

If someone liked Atlanta more than Dallas, I HIGHLY doubt they would choose Dallas only because they can save an extra hour or two on the trip to a beach where as this is a vacation they deal with a few weeks out of the year at best where as living in the proximity of the city they choose to be in for the rest of that time frame. Noone is going to care about driving to the beach if they like one place much more than the other. There are MUCH heavier factors involved in deciding on a place to live besides a drive to the beach (in a land locked city). If you were say in Florida or South Georgia or South Alabama or maybe California or someplace much closer to water where your whole intent is to move to be near a beach (which you could easily do for nearly the same CoL in a more rurall area of those mentioned states) then I could see that whole argument having weight..but noone here has beach and oceans as their primary reason for moving here.
Exactly.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:03 PM

11,794 posts, read 8,002,955 times
To end this thread, there's really no way to win this argument, everyone has their personal tastes. There are strengths Atlanta has over Dallas, and strengths Dallas has over Atlanta... Neither are superior, neither are inferior. Atlanta (to me) has a more impressive skyline, and I can also completely see why others enjoy the scenery of Atlanta over Dallas, in comparison to Atlanta Dallas can feel a bit baren, however; alot of people also don't realize Atlanta is actually alot more vegetated than most major cities in this country and in comparing them in vegetation alone, Atlanta is actually a minority in this category, but I am fine if you like the vegetation.

Both cities have great economies and fairly affordable COL's in comparison to other major cities.

Dallas to me has a much stronger infrastructure foundation where as driving in Atlanta can at times wind you in mazes of streets that have little correlation. I LOVE DFW's freeways and their suburbs. I also like the train system they have. Albeit its difficult to compare because they use a light rail and we use a heavy rail, I just like that it actually has a "decent" amount of coverage, probably not enough for a city its size, but still more than MARTA rail currently covers currently.

My dream city as many would probably hate would indeed be a DFW style infrastructure in suburban Atlanta with a heavy rail system covering all major directions ... it isn't happening ...or atleast, most of it isnt... so you just gatta take them for what they are...

Old 03-29-2018, 07:18 PM

776 posts, read 1,062,997 times
Well.... again. This thread was never started to compare DALLAS to Atlanta... not to sound rude at all because that is not my intent, but I have specifically said I am not looking for comparisons nor am I considering to move to DALLAS. We were simply looking for some information only on Atlanta. More so, information on things we may not be considering since it is always easy to get caught up on what is wonderful. Then we go home jaded and get a reality check after it is too late. But a couple of people I won't call out keep rolling this thread into DALLAS comparison. So to be very clear.... we are not looking for information or comparisons on Dallas.no interest there. We also dont really care about beaches.yes I is e commented a couple times in them, but it holds no barring on our decision. We live by plenty of beaches now and rarely go. And couldn't care less to be honest. We prefer Atlanta because of work, scenery, greenery, housing, proximity to other places, travel from, and about a hundred other reason and one being the people. Yes, I realize there are bad apples everywhere but overall (and the last two days up here prove it again) every time I'm in Atlanta the people are so nice and pleasant and refreshing. So when I started this thread I was simply wondering if the things I find so great are real or if that is not the norm. And of we are missing the big picture.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:21 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Well.... again. This thread was never started to compare DALLAS to Atlanta... not to sound rude at all because that is not my intent, but I have specifically said I am not looking for comparisons nor am I considering to move to DALLAS. We were simply looking for some information only on Atlanta. More so, information on things we may not be considering since it is always easy to get caught up on what is wonderful. Then we go home jaded and get a reality check after it is too late. But a couple of people I won't call out keep rolling this thread into DALLAS comparison. So to be very clear.... we are not looking for information or comparisons on Dallas.no interest there. We also dont really care about beaches.yes I is e commented a couple times in them, but it holds no barring on our decision. We live by plenty of beaches now and rarely go. And couldn't care less to be honest. We prefer Atlanta because of work, scenery, greenery, housing, proximity to other places, travel from, and about a hundred other reason and one being the people. Yes, I realize there are bad apples everywhere but overall (and the last two days up here prove it again) every time I'm in Atlanta the people are so nice and pleasant and refreshing. So when I started this thread I was simply wondering if the things I find so great are real or if that is not the norm. And of we are missing the big picture.
Dude, you have no credibility to say that you are not considering moving to Dallas after stating that you love Dallas a lot and would rather move back there because your heart is in Dallas. Here's yet another refresher for your memory since you conveniently seem to keep forgetting what you said early-on in this thread that you started...
Quote:
I'll be honest, I love the DFW area a lot and would rather move back there, but my wife really likes Atlanta more .I really enjoy it there and it is probably just that my heart is in Dallas because I am familiar, but atlanta seems to give me some uneasiness.
Quote:
DFW is a better fit for us professionally
Quote:
Do I prefer Dallas? Maybe
Quote:
the familiarity of Dallas just gives me more comfort at this point
Quote:
I simply said that My heart will always be in Dallas.
Quote:
So am I fishing? You Bet!
"What are families most complained about problems living in ATL Metro"
What are families most complained about problems living in ATL Metro

Again, it has been well-established that you are "looking for some information on Atlanta" by trolling the Atlanta forum with a thread to gather negative information from Atlanta residents to make a case to your wife for why you should move to Dallas where you have repeatedly stated you really would love to move to instead of Atlanta like your wife seems to want.

The reason why "this thread keeps rolling into Dallas comparisons" is because YOU early-on stated a clear personal preference and affinity for moving to Dallas like is noted in the quotes of your statements above.

It is amusing that you are now saying that you "prefer Atlanta" after originally saying that "Atlanta gives you some uneasiness" and openly admitting early-on that you would rather move to Dallas

The "bad Apple" here is YOU...who is the person that started a thread to troll local Atlanta residents for negative information so that you could get ideas on how to build a case to present to your wife on why you should move to Dallas and not Atlanta like YOU SAID that she prefers.

You seem to take our kindness for weakness and think that we will not call you out on your repeated and relentless attempts at trolling us for your amusement.

Instead of coming here to troll Atlantans for negative ideas and information to use in a marital disagreement with your wife, you need to be spending your precious time and energy to build a positive case to present to your wife on why your family should move to Dallas where you stated that you would rather move to early on in this thread.

If you really wanted to move to Atlanta, you would not have started a thread to troll the Atlanta thread for negative information... Negative information that Atlantans would have willingly given you during the course of a legitimate (and non-trolling) relocation inquiry... And negative information that is already available on thousands of other troll threads on the Atlanta forum where outside trolls seemingly think that they can come and cause trouble with no pushback.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 03-29-2018 at 08:29 PM..

Old 03-29-2018, 10:29 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
^I would rep you if I could, B2R!

Old 03-30-2018, 02:09 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
No, we've just got a bunch of Atlanta homers who call anything they don't like a troll. Even B2R is off from his normal reasonable, very informative self. Maybe its the pollen.

When was the last time you were in the Panhandle? We go to Destin about every year. There's a whole lot more there now than Joe's.

And we drive it. Its a long drive. An hour on a 5-6 hour drive isn't much difference. We used to drive it from Houston and it feels about as long driving it from Atlanta even though that's about a 2-3 hour difference. Either way, it eats up most of the day.

There are certainly things to do in Savannah, but I never think of it as "beach." Tybee doesn't have much.

So for the original beach argument, the Panhandle definitely beats Padre (where I've also been many times-north and south), but it really isn't any more convenient. Charleston and Tybee don't have great beaches, so its not much of an advantage over Galveston (all 3 of which I've been to in the last few years). Charleston has its history, but Galveston also has the Strand and lots of restaurants along with all the things in Mainland Galveston County.
No, Savannah isn't the 'beach' but it is there for a day of interesting sightseeing and history and all that if you want to do something besides go to the beach. The whole barrier island thing up and down half the SC and the whole GA coasts is fascinating. History dating to colonial times, forts, plantation sites, history abounding. Nothing like that away from the beach in the panhandle. Sorry, but Pensacola, PC and Fort Walton Beach are fine towns but nothing like Charleston or Savannah. So a vacation to this corner, the water and sand might not be quite as pretty, but it is still much nicer than Galveston plus the charm of the low country that cannot be compared to the panhandle. For many, a more complete destination if just the beach is not your whole cup of tea.

The point is you have two much more interesting coastal experiences within an easy drive of Atlanta. You don't have a comparable experience less than a days drive from Dallas.

Last edited by Saintmarks; 03-30-2018 at 02:22 PM..

Old 03-30-2018, 04:53 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Wow, this is something. I don't see any good reason to leave this thread open at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta