Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 07:42 AM

221 posts, read 189,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
No offense, but the school isn't competitive just because the students happen to be asian. That's a stereotype! There are other good schools in the area that don't have a plurality/majority of asians. Is that because those students are <insert race>?
There are definitely good schools that aren't plurality Asian, but a lot of Asian dominated schools have parents that try to heavily push curriculum forward for their children. In "less competitive schools," Asian parents routinely complain about how slow the curriculum is: "My son is in first grade and they haven't even started multiplication yet. my son can multiply 4 digit numbers together already! He's so bored in class!"

What happens when a school becomes plurality/majority Asian is that now more than half of the kids are described like above, and teachers are heavily pressured to accelerate their curriculum, so they do. This is great for those kids, but it can be tough for kids that don't do parent-assigned extra homework outside of class to keep up.

This issue starts are elementary school and accelerates through high school, and now high school students in John's Creek pretty much come home every day from school and spent the entire night doing homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 11:53 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
There are definitely good schools that aren't plurality Asian, but a lot of Asian dominated schools have parents that try to heavily push curriculum forward for their children. In "less competitive schools," Asian parents routinely complain about how slow the curriculum is: "My son is in first grade and they haven't even started multiplication yet. my son can multiply 4 digit numbers together already! He's so bored in class!"

What happens when a school becomes plurality/majority Asian is that now more than half of the kids are described like above, and teachers are heavily pressured to accelerate their curriculum, so they do. This is great for those kids, but it can be tough for kids that don't do parent-assigned extra homework outside of class to keep up.

This issue starts are elementary school and accelerates through high school, and now high school students in John's Creek pretty much come home every day from school and spent the entire night doing homework.
A rising tide lifts all ships and more parents need to insure their children are pushed to excel in the classroom. Lack of parental involvement in children’s education is a large reason our students oftentimes perform poorly in school.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:00 PM

290 posts, read 368,968 times
My son who goes to Northview gets only five hours of sleep each night due to studying for tests and homework (he takes all honors classes). The honors and AP curriculum at Northview is harder and more rigorous then other honors and AP programs at other schools like Johns Creek High or Chattahoochee. My son told me there is a huge divide at Northview, the accelerated, AP and honors classes have mostly Asian students (in a class of 25 only about 2 or 3 are non Asian) and the on level classes have mainly white and African American students with a couple of Asian students mixed in.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:00 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Not "just because," but it is a significant factor. It is evident that most Asian families have an incredible work ethic when it comes to children's education. And, that's not a stereotype. That's a compliment.
Its definitely a stereotype and is also a stereotype that some asians find insulting. If you don't know that then you probably haven't spent enough time talking to asians about it.

Stereotype:
a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing.
"the stereotype of the woman as the carer"
synonyms: standard/conventional image, received idea, cliché, hackneyed idea, formula
"the stereotype of the rancher"

Notice that there is no requisite for stereotype to be pejorative or have a negative connotation.

Also, a good "work ethic" has less to do with the success of asian americans as a group than the fact that they have not been nearly as affected by institutionalized racism in this country.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:26 PM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Alas going are the days of affordable housing in the metro area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
East of I-85, you potentially may have to go as far north as to the wedge area beyond the I-85/GA 316 split (east/south of I-85 and north of GA 316) to find single-family homes within your price range within a highly-desired school district, while (as noted before) west of I-85 you may have to go as far north as almost up to or beyond the GA 20 corridor to find something within your price range of $275k and under.
Even that wedge is becoming more expensive, there were older homes on Lawrenceville Suwanee Rd priced at about $150k in 2013, today they are about $250k... So right at the OP's price range..

But anything along Buford Dr? Forget it. Collins Hill Rd has also gone up. Old Peachtree Rd north of Buford Dr may work though, from there all the way to Dacula Rd.

I would note there are some decent developments down Sugarloaf Pkwy and around Five Forks Trickum that arent too far off the price range as well, however; $275k in Peachtree corners just isn't going to happen. That area actually happens to be fairly expensive and from my understanding is why they separated themselves from Norcross as not to carry the stigma of Norcross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Not "just because," but it is a significant factor. It is evident that most Asian families have an incredible work ethic when it comes to children's education. And, that's not a stereotype. That's a compliment.
Eitherway its completely irrelevant and useless information as per this topic. Isn't going to get him a house any sooner either.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:33 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Alas going are the days of affordable housing in the metro area.

Even that wedge is becoming more expensive, there were older homes on Lawrenceville Suwanee Rd priced at about $150k in 2013, today they are about $250k... So right at the OP's price range..

But anything along Buford Dr? Forget it. Collins Hill Rd has also gone up. Old Peachtree Rd north of Buford Dr may work though, from there all the way to Dacula Rd.
Those are really good points about home prices becoming more expensive in metro area... Something which is part of a national trend in rising home prices in a national real estate market where there has been reported to be a shortage of well over 4 million homes nationally.

Home prices in metro Atlanta may be up noticeably from their lows in the immediate aftermath of the Great Recession, but home prices in other large major metros on the continent appear to be up even more significantly than in metro Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I would note there are some decent developments down Sugarloaf Pkwy and around Five Forks Trickum that arent too far off the price range as well, however; $275k in Peachtree corners just isn't going to happen. That area actually happens to be fairly expensive and from my understanding is why they separated themselves from Norcross as not to carry the stigma of Norcross.
That is also a good point that buying a 4-bedroom detached single-family home for $275k in Peachtree Corners probably is not going to happen in this current real estate market.

Though, it should be noted that Peachtree Corners did not separate from Norcross because of concerns about being stigmatized by Norcross.

Before incorporating as a city in 2012, Peachtree Corners was an unincorporated area guided by a very active neighborhood association (UPCCA or United Peachtree Corners Civic Association) out of concern over overdevelopment practices in the area permitted by Gwinnett County government.

Though the Peachtree Corners area used a Norcross mailing address before being incorporated as a city, Peachtree Corners has never been physically part of the incorporated City of Norcross.

Some of the main motivations for the incorporation of Peachtree Corners were to gain more local control over zoning, code enforcement and governance from Gwinnett County government.

The only part of Norcross that seems to have a stigma is the area of unincorporated Gwinnett County inside of zip code 30093 east of I-85 that does not physically touch Peachtree Corners which, of course, is west of I-85 and has had and continues to have a very close relationship with the neighboring City of Norcross.

Both Peachtree Corners and Norcross share a school feeder zone for Norcross High School and the soon-to-be open new Paul Duke STEM High School. The incorporated City of Norcross is basically surrounded on 3 sides by the incorporated City of Peachtree Corners.

The cities of Peachtree Corners and Norcross have an extremely symbiotic relationship. The City of Peachtree Corners is not stigmatized in any way by a City of Norcross that they have extremely close social and geographical ties with.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:50 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
[quote=Tarzanman;51441124
Also, a good "work ethic" has less to do with the success of asian americans as a group than the fact that they have not been nearly as affected by institutionalized racism in this country.[/QUOTE]

Nor have white folks, so I’m afraid I’m not getting your point.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:39 AM

5 posts, read 5,067 times
Thank you so much for everyone who has responded! I know we may have slim pickings but slim is better none Having the schools listed is particularly helpful and I'm trying to pay attention to that. We will likely start talking to a realtor in the next week or so. If there's anywhere else you think we should be looking at houses, please feel free to let me know. I've opened up my search to some northern areas of Lawrenceville and Norcross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta