Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 10:52 PM

3,655 posts, read 3,900,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Not necessarily leading a double life but a much higher percentage of gay black men are still in the closet, primarily because of the unfortunately lower rates of acceptance of gay people within the black community. To many it seems like a sign of weakness or that they would be seen as less of a man if they were known to be gay.
Well, that's your opinion.

For me, it just means that all races except white people are more willing to see how hot the male physique is and get some of it.

Down low may only apply to the black community, but white men have been so scared to acknowledge the attractiveness of other men that they go entire lifetimes denying it.

I don't think any of this applies to young people today as it's much more acceptable.

That's my opinion.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:27 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,329,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Well, that's your opinion.

For me, it just means that all races except white people are more willing to see how hot the male physique is and get some of it.

Down low may only apply to the black community, but white men have been so scared to acknowledge the attractiveness of other men that they go entire lifetimes denying it.

I don't think any of this applies to young people today as it's much more acceptable.

That's my opinion.

Well...I met a millennial the other day not too far from McAl and though the younger are more accepting, he's quite young and still playing the game. Down low to me is all races. He is white and I can tell you he was definitely into me. This was just from my own experience...I wouldn't say that down low applies to (and I'm against it) just black men. I have met white men who I have a feeling they are playing it hetero but behind closed doors...

Old 09-11-2018, 11:42 PM

396 posts, read 598,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Uh, Allen-McGill is, like, soooo much better than SoNo. SoNo--as if. Hell-to-the-no-to-SoNo.

It's not confusing. Allen-McGill:

1. Honors two Atlanta historical icons.
2. References two major Atlanta thoroughfares.
3. Centers itself at the intersection of these two major thoroughfares with the major thoroughfare of Atlanta.
3. Sounds magnifique, classy, and stylish.

Read this --> http://www.city-data.com/forum/50452992-post64.html
i completely agree with how bad SoNo is. but this isn't sticking with me like i think it should, and i'm not sure why. it rolls off the tongue fine. is it true that they're renaming civic center station to this?

anyway - it is kind of odd how we've lost a real gayborhood - cheshire bridge kinda feels like it around the southern half with bj's/the heretic (RIP jungle) but it's more of our red light district with all the other strip clubs and spas and sex shops.

would be cool to see something form around ansley mall (cowtippers, smith's olde) or 10th piedmont (blakes et all) but no one spot is really a center of gravity. then again, this is a gay city all around so maybe we've just claimed the whole thing? ha

Old 09-12-2018, 06:54 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,698,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
i completely agree with how bad SoNo is. but this isn't sticking with me like i think it should, and i'm not sure why. it rolls off the tongue fine. is it true that they're renaming civic center station to this?

anyway - it is kind of odd how we've lost a real gayborhood - cheshire bridge kinda feels like it around the southern half with bj's/the heretic (RIP jungle) but it's more of our red light district with all the other strip clubs and spas and sex shops.

would be cool to see something form around ansley mall (cowtippers, smith's olde) or 10th piedmont (blakes et all) but no one spot is really a center of gravity. then again, this is a gay city all around so maybe we've just claimed the whole thing? ha
None of that post is true.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:59 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,820,491 times
Allen-McGill is something aries coined.

SoNo is also a contrived name for that neighborhood, someone in the city government thought a New York style neighborhood name, (TriBeCa, SoHo, etc.) would make it "cool", so they started using that about 10(?) years ago but it hasn't really caught on.

The old name for that neighborhood is Bedford-Pine but most of the neighborhood was wiped out during "urban renewal".

Old 09-12-2018, 10:05 AM

396 posts, read 598,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
None of that post is true.

which one, mine or his? lol

Old 09-12-2018, 10:22 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,698,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
which one, mine or his? lol
aries and the rumor of Civic Center being renamed to that name. Yes it will most likely get renamed, but I have not heard to what.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:27 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,781,021 times
SoNo makes me think of the old Blow-Jo Hotel (HoJo) that was on Peachtree across from Backstreet ...

Old 09-13-2018, 09:25 AM

23,310 posts, read 43,771,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
SoNo makes me think of the old Blow-Jo Hotel (HoJo) that was on Peachtree across from Backstreet ...
The Atlanta Cabana. Its days were numbered when the trans prostitute didn't get paid for services rendered and retaliated by shooting up the hotel room; bullets through the ceiling, the walls, the floor. Oh, dear me.
It's really too bad, as its mid-century, retro feel would be intriguing to a boutique hotel developer these days.

Old 09-16-2018, 11:00 AM

104 posts, read 60,878 times
Is northern Midtown not the gay epicenter anymore? What happened to Peachtree, 10th St, Juniper (south of 14th), etc? Did rich, straight people start liking how trendy historic Midtown was (10th/Monroe/Ponce/Myrtle) and buy all the houses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta