Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 08:23 AM

239 posts, read 673,513 times

Advertisements

Hi. shopping for utility companies is somewhat of a foreign concept to me. Can you recommend a few companies I should look up in south forsyth. I need gas, electricity, water, and internet.

I would prefer customer service oriented companies that have competitive rates.

Also, how do things work? Is it like internet service where you lock in for a year or two at a promotional rate and then keep relocking when the period is over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 08:51 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,486 times
Don't think you have much of a choice in terms of water or electricity. Internet, you may have the option of AT&T, Comcast, Charter. Their websites will let you know if you're eligible. I have Comcast, and I do a dance with them where just before my contract expires, I ask for a promo rate or threaten to leave. If they still cut me off, I can have someone else in the house sign up for a promo rate.

For gas, I would just pick the cheapest gas on 1 year fixed contract, set to autopay, and then shop around at 12 month mark. Any gas issues you have are directed to Atlanta Gas Light, whoever you pick to pay with is just a "marketer".

https://www.energyshop.com/es/prices...ZpeGVkIFByaWNl

Old 03-27-2018, 09:05 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
^ good info and Comcast/Xfinity for Internet. I recently switched from Xfinity to AT&T due to promo pricing and I can assure you that Xfinity has much better Internet/TV service. Once my promo ends, we'll be going back to Xfinity.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
^ good info and Comcast/Xfinity for Internet. I recently switched from Xfinity to AT&T due to promo pricing and I can assure you that Xfinity has much better Internet/TV service. Once my promo ends, we'll be going back to Xfinity.
What speeds did you get on Comcast and what speeds did you get on AT&T?

My own experience with Comcast is weird. At an apartment, I had a promo with them for about $40 ($29.99 internet and $10 modem fee). After 12 months, it went up to $70 total. I didn't fight it really because I had no choice. When it went up to $70, I did get a little Comcast tv box that I never use, and access to Xfinity streaming which I don't use since Hulu/Netflix are better.

I logged into Xfinity My Account since my second promo was expiring soon, and oddly, it offered $60 total. Had to take a few phone calls, but the phone reps didn't hesitate to honor the online promo in my account section (didn't even threaten to leave), and now I pay $10 less than previous months.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:46 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,479,741 times
Fastest ATT speed available where I'm at is 50Mbps. With Xfinity I was getting around 75Mbps, but they jacked up my price for Internet and TV to $140 per month so I bailed. I don't really have a beef with ATT Internet and 50Mbps is more than adequate, but the bundled DirecTV is awful compared to Xfinity. I'm moving toward Internet-based TV too so the TV piece is becoming less important to me. I'm currently paying $80 total per month for 50Mbps Internet and DirecTV Select package on 4 TV's. The one cool thing DirecTV offers that Xfinity does not are wireless set-top boxes for the remote TV's (No cable necessary). Xfinity told me they're working on something similar, but it's not available yet. When this promo ends, I'll just go with Internet only with whoever has the best deal and then for TV, I'll go with something like you mentioned > Hulu/NetFlix.

OP for your water, > Forsyth County Water & Sewer

Old 03-27-2018, 09:55 AM

Another nice thing about Xfinity is I started at $40 for 25 Mbps, then $70 for 50 Mbps, and now $60 for 60 Mbps.

https://www.cnet.com/news/atsc-3-0-w...st-television/

ATSC 3 is rolling out in the next few years, and that's supposed to bring more reliable, and 4k HDR interactive FREE antenna tv (with a new adapter).

Old 03-27-2018, 11:07 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
You don't get a choice of electricity or water/sewer.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:49 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Our ATT&T bill is getting ridiculous, but I'm stuck with them for now. Xfinity won't come to us until our subdivision is done. Hopefully by fall as they are in the final phase and building like crazy!

Old 03-28-2018, 07:44 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
What speeds did you get on Comcast and what speeds did you get on AT&T?

My own experience with Comcast is weird. At an apartment, I had a promo with them for about $40 ($29.99 internet and $10 modem fee). After 12 months, it went up to $70 total. I didn't fight it really because I had no choice. When it went up to $70, I did get a little Comcast tv box that I never use, and access to Xfinity streaming which I don't use since Hulu/Netflix are better.

I logged into Xfinity My Account since my second promo was expiring soon, and oddly, it offered $60 total. Had to take a few phone calls, but the phone reps didn't hesitate to honor the online promo in my account section (didn't even threaten to leave), and now I pay $10 less than previous months.
If you are with them more than 12 months it’s probably cheaper to buy and use your own modem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: