Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 01:44 AM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times

Advertisements

For the OP, as far as traffic is concerned, they are adding an HOT Lane on I-85 in that region. When it is complete, you will beable to bypass most of the traffic for a toll. I personally never use I-85 without using the HOT lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Today's not-really-useful fun fact: the area right around the Hamilton Mill exit is the highest elevation along I-85.
In Georgia alone or the entire interstate? thats pretty interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 04:41 PM

25 posts, read 42,427 times
How is the traffic within the Buford area ( not cummuting to Atlanta)?

Old 03-31-2018, 04:46 PM

333 posts, read 387,944 times
It's all relative, but we've been satisfied. Buford Drive can back up as can Braselton Highway, Buford Drive, Mall of Georgia Boulevard and Gravel Springs, particularly in the afternoon. But the well-placed traffic lights seem to keep things moving along fairly well. We still have the people holding up traffic while looking at their phones at the light, but it isn't bad. Just don't get caught near any of these massive high schools on two-lane roads around 7 AM or 2 PM. The traffic heading into Mill Creek High School is often at a complete stop around those times, largely due to the school buses with right of way.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:23 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalli View Post
What do you all think of that area?

Is it nice? Good things there? Tips?

The Hamilton Mill Area is definitely an outer suburb of Atlanta. Though it may not offer the best commute to more central Metro Atlanta locations (Downtown, Midtown, Perimeter Center, Emory, etc.), it does offer a good/decent commute to other Metro Atlanta locations like: the I-85/GA 316 techonology/distribution corridor, Norcross, Peachtree Corners (Technology Park), Gwinnett Place, Northlake/Tucker, and the Greater Sugarloaf Area.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:53 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
The entire interstate between Montgomery and Petersburg. That point is also 1 of about 5 places I-85 crosses the Eastern Continental Divide.

/physical geography geek

Old 04-02-2018, 12:16 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,489,724 times
Quote:
Today's not-really-useful fun fact: the area right around the Hamilton Mill exit is the highest elevation along I-85.
Quote:
Quote:
The entire interstate between Montgomery and Petersburg. That point is also 1 of about 5 places I-85 crosses the Eastern Continental Divide.

/physical geography geek
I had in the past been told that the Hamilton Mill area was the highest elevation in Gwinnett County, but to learn that the Hamilton Mill interchange is the highest elevation of any area in the 5 states that the entire I-85 corridor runs through is very interesting.

I remember being told that the Hamilton Mill area had the highest elevation in Gwinnett County several years ago (probably around the time that the Hamilton Mill Golf Club-anchored community began to develop and build-out) because of a controversy that flared up when the long-time residents who had been living in the area before it developed around the turn-of-the-Millennium were offended that early 21st Century-era real estate developers used the name "Hamilton Mill" to appeal to/market the area to affluent newcomers and not the area's historical name of "Hog Mountain."

The residents who lived in the area before it was overtaken with heavy suburban development were unhappy because they understandably thought that the history of the Hog Mountain area was being whitewashed with the name "Hamilton Mill" to appeal to more affluent and well-heeled newcomers from other parts of the country (particularly the Northeast)... Transplanted newcomers whom real estate developers thought might find the area's historical name of "Hog Mountain" to be far less appealing than the name "Hamilton Mill."

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 04-02-2018 at 12:35 PM..

Old 04-02-2018, 04:22 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

/physical geography geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I had in the past been told that the Hamilton Mill area was the highest elevation in Gwinnett County, but to learn that the Hamilton Mill interchange is the highest elevation of any area in the 5 states that the entire I-85 corridor runs through is very interesting.

I remember being told that the Hamilton Mill area had the highest elevation in Gwinnett County several years ago (probably around the time that the Hamilton Mill Golf Club-anchored community began to develop and build-out) because of a controversy that flared up when the long-time residents who had been living in the area before it developed around the turn-of-the-Millennium were offended that early 21st Century-era real estate developers used the name "Hamilton Mill" to appeal to/market the area to affluent newcomers and not the area's historical name of "Hog Mountain."

The residents who lived in the area before it was overtaken with heavy suburban development were unhappy because they understandably thought that the history of the Hog Mountain area was being whitewashed with the name "Hamilton Mill" to appeal to more affluent and well-heeled newcomers from other parts of the country (particularly the Northeast)... Transplanted newcomers whom real estate developers thought might find the area's historical name of "Hog Mountain" to be far less appealing than the name "Hamilton Mill."

For evidence, peruse this link and map:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...elevations.png

Old 04-03-2018, 11:35 AM

15 posts, read 19,203 times
Sounds like a very good choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta