Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 01:45 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,819,315 times

Advertisements

hey y'all i know i have posted this before but never in its own thread. the reason i'm doing this is that a lot of people don't know that there is anything to underground atlanta beyond what was opened as a mall. this is on the north side of the railroad tracks and is the original street level of wall street:

the place i really would like to see is peachtree street, which has been closed since the 70s. alabama street and forsyth street also are bridged viaducts and the original street level lies underneath; broad street technically is a viaduct but because of the construction of the five points station there might not be anything historic left on that particular street. all are in red:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 09:54 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,659,331 times
Default Under the Wall Street...

Wow! Thanks for posting that youtube vid Bryant! That's just the sort of exploratory thing I like to find that takes a person into a hidden or unknown or even forbidden realm.
Ever since I was a child, I've had a fascination with exploring natural & or urban spaces such as getting up high in a natural setting or in a building so as to have a view of my surroundings.
Corresponding with that, subterranean exploration has been an interest of mine too although I should clarify that I'm not at all what would be called a spelunker.
Various cities have tours tailored to serve the interests of folks who like to see off-the-beaten-track locations, whether they be underground or not. With that said, I'd be interested in getting into that Peachtree St. subterranean space you referred to. If you or anyone else knows of how such access can be gained there, let us hear from you.
I may also reach out to the youtube member who posted that video.
Although the 2018 event has just ended, I'll post a link to the "Phoenix Flies" page put up by The Atlanta Preservation Center. I took 2 of their offered tours during their event last spring & highly recommend that anyone with an interest in various Atlanta natural or building settings look the link over to get an idea of what is typically offered during that month long event.
Thanks again Bryant!

Atlanta Preservation Center :: The 2018 Phoenix Flies: A Celebration of Atlanta?s Historic Sites is returning for a 15th year!

Old 04-01-2018, 10:30 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,169,058 times
Anyone know if there is a video like this, that thoroughly explores the sub-viaduct level of the western side of Downtown?

Not just the exposed portion of the Gulch, but that entire large area, underneath the GWCC and the stadiums. There is an entire world going on under there. I've only seen parts of it.

Main 2 reasons I'm interested, is because I would love for streets down there to start to connect more with streets across Northside Dr, and across Marietta St. Sort of re-connect Vine City and the westside, to Downtown.

Other reason is because I really want to map out the possibilities for an MMPT for commuter rail from Cobb. Particularly I'm interested in the area underneath the Broad St Plaza area, directly north of Five Points MARTA. Like what kind of potential space is there, or not there.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:05 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,314,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Anyone know if there is a video like this, that thoroughly explores the sub-viaduct level of the western side of Downtown?

Not just the exposed portion of the Gulch, but that entire large area, underneath the GWCC and the stadiums. There is an entire world going on under there. I've only seen parts of it.
Are you talking about where Mangum and Everhart disappear underneath? If so, you can go down there pretty easily. I've been around all under there, as it's where the Red Deck, the worker entrance for the GWCC, the loading entrance to the new Dome, the loading entrance to the ex-Dome, and loading-dock access to Philips Arena are. Several little offshoots for loading docks and storage.

Quote:
Main 2 reasons I'm interested, is because I would love for streets down there to start to connect more with streets across Northside Dr, and across Marietta St. Sort of re-connect Vine City and the westside, to Downtown.
Not sure there's much opportunity to connect anything worthwhile under there. MLK connects through, and Ivan Allen connects through...they are only 3/4 mile apart. Magnolia is about the only opportunity, and that would require either a complete re-working of Andrew Young, or a serpentine route over to Marietta through loading zones.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Are you talking about where Mangum and Everhart disappear underneath? If so, you can go down there pretty easily. I've been around all under there, as it's where the Red Deck, the worker entrance for the GWCC, the loading entrance to the new Dome, the loading entrance to the ex-Dome, and loading-dock access to Philips Arena are. Several little offshoots for loading docks and storage.

Not sure there's much opportunity to connect anything worthwhile under there. MLK connects through, and Ivan Allen connects through...they are only 3/4 mile apart. Magnolia is about the only opportunity, and that would require either a complete re-working of Andrew Young, or a serpentine route over to Marietta through loading zones.
honestly it could be sort of cool... an underground street, starting at magnolia street over in vine city, winding through the two tunnels deep underneath andrew young international, and taking you straight into luckie-marietta. the only issue would be that foundry street (where that road under the tunnel eventually leads to now) has an at-grade rail crossing. magnolia street tunnels here:

credit: returntoatl.blogspot.com

Old 04-01-2018, 10:02 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,656,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

Other reason is because I really want to map out the possibilities for an MMPT for commuter rail from Cobb. Particularly I'm interested in the area underneath the Broad St Plaza area, directly north of Five Points MARTA. Like what kind of potential space is there, or not there.
The guy who ran the Unseen Underground tours made a video set of the tour itself. Part 1 is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLQP62AwEv0

Old 04-01-2018, 10:06 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,656,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
OP Post
Just be careful filming down there sometimes. The government buildings really do not like you doing that, and guards will fuss at you if they see you.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:08 PM

this is where magnolia street used to go (in red). the tunnels pictured above are just beyond where the elevated andrew young international begins.

original photo: @WSBCamp
Attached Thumbnails
Under the Wall Street Viaduct-dyvirwjumaaidyg.png  

Old 04-01-2018, 10:23 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,328,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
hey y'all i know i have posted this before but never in its own thread. the reason i'm doing this is that a lot of people don't know that there is anything to underground atlanta beyond what was opened as a mall. this is on the north side of the railroad tracks and is the original street level of wall street:

the place i really would like to see is peachtree street, which has been closed since the 70s. alabama street and forsyth street also are bridged viaducts and the original street level lies underneath; broad street technically is a viaduct but because of the construction of the five points station there might not be anything historic left on that particular street. all are in red:

I must say that this is one of the most interesting things I've seen recently. Thanks for the video. It's hilarious kind of because I walk past that spot from time to time and used to think until today, "There goes the abyss (from where the person entered in the beginning of the video)." And sometimes I'd see cars emerge from the "abyss" and think, "Why the **** do they go there to park?" The parking area looks so tiny. To see that the area is much much larger than I thought really surprised me. I've always wanted to take a look and also take a look at other areas where I see abandoned spaces near to Marta but my street smarts say not to. Haha.

It's not the same but it made me think of Montreal. I remember getting off the train with some friends and we were underground for what seemed like forever. It was so weird some of the places we walked but we thought it was so cool. I'd never seen anything like it and thought it added so much character to the city.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:19 AM

10,730 posts, read 13,265,218 times
bryantm3, that is a really informative video. It is unfortunate that all of that space underneath the viaducts cannot be used for something other than parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta